Home

West coast questions

This is a discussion on West coast questions within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2024, 08:36 AM   #1
Rookie

DFS_loser's Arena

OVR: 0
West coast questions

What's up everyone.... looking for some feedback from those on the west coast, preferably those that have moved from one coast to the other.
I've been in Georgia the last 15 years, recently my wife landed a job in California. She's from the Bay and now we are moving back to the Bay. I've never even been to California, so I've got my own things in my head about this move.
One thing is sports....how the hell do you watch them there!? I can't wrap my mind around the time difference. There will be a 3-hour difference from Georgia. A 7pm Yankee or Brave game comes on at 4pm there, I'd never get to watch since I'd be working. I feel like all I'd be stuck with is watching west coast sports. Obviously, DVR etc is an option but with all the alerts going off on my phone I'd already know the outcome before I get home to watch, besides the fact I'll have buddies texting me **** about what's going on.
During NFL season having Monday OR Thursday games end at 8:30 instead of 11:30 will be great!
But yeah just looking for some tips, pointers or advice as I will be there in 2 weeks.

Back

Back like I never left
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2024, 04:00 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: West coast questions

I'm the exact opposite. I couldn't fathom living on the East Coast, knowing no games ever start in the morning and that West Coast games don't end till after midnight. That's an unbearable thought. Getting baseball, football, etc. at 10:00 AM is a great way to start the weekend morning!

As far as those 4:00 PM starts, if I can't catch them live, that's what recordings are for, or in the case of baseball MLB.TV. I've lived off of avoiding all spoilers ever since college, and catching them after the fact if need be, and my friends are aware of it. Those that aren't, they get one from me and I'll make it known... outside of that, I just avoid my phone whilst I can.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-04-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

I moved from the Midwest to West Coast 15 years ago. It's not too hard to get used to things ending earlier - it's really nice.

It's also nice to have March Madness start at 9 in the morning.

I didn't like the NFL start time shifting from noon to 10.

Ultimately, it's pretty easy to get used to, though I do think Mountain time is probably ideal for all things sports.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:11 PM   #4
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Imagine going to the west coast to the Philippines and football season games start at 1 or 2 am and my team the Cards start around 4 to 5 am.

Basketball and baseball is easy, majority of the time it starts at 10 am and I have it on while I run my business.

It was adjustment but I just moved things around. Mornings are sports and. evenings is family time and either movies/tv/gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 04-04-2024, 02:24 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 13

I've lived all over (both coasts multiple times, midwest). West Coast is like anywhere else - pluses and minuses. NorCal weather is not exactly what you think of when you think of "California" (e.g. Baywatch and the California of TV/movies with wide white sand beaches and palm trees is really a SoCal thing). The Bay area depends on where exactly you are, but it's sort of more similar to the Pacific Northwest than the rest of California.

Early start times are weird, but it's nice to be able to watch an entire day's worth of games including west coast and have it still only be 8PM or so. 7PM Eastern time start times are always tough, though.

I think you just get used to missing the first half of games you care about, or else sneak out early if you really want to watch something start to finish. DVR also works if you're disciplined about not looking at your phone etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2024, 04:19 PM   #6
Rookie

DFS_loser's Arena

OVR: 0

Thanks for the feedback fellas, getting down to crunch time! I'll be in the Emeryville / North Oakland area. Didn't expect sandy beaches there. Definitely going to have a lot to adapt to but I'll be working almost right away so that will occupy my days. I've already got tickets for the Yankees vs SF on June 1st and Braves vs SF in August. I believe I'm about a 7-hour drive from LA or a quick flight away. I'll have some exploring to do this summer.

Back

Back like I never left
Old 04-06-2024, 05:06 AM   #7
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

I dunno how you feel about listening to games on radio but i find it enjoyable from time to time especially if you have a good announcer.

That's what i used to do back in the day when i worked late, just put on the radio and listen to suns/dbacks games.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 04-06-2024, 05:19 AM   #8
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Weather and food in the Bay Area is nice. Nothing else is. Earthquakes are stupid. If you're intending on raising a family or owning a house, well, I'd strongly consider how difficult it is to do so. Traffic is a ****ing nightmare always.

Some things are nice sports-watching wise. You don't have to wait for things to start up in the day with 10am starts for things often, and of course football Sundays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »