Home

Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread

This is a discussion on Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 07-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread

Not sure if this had been brought up or thought of before but I'd figured having a thread like this would make sense instead of having folks having to click 3-4 different topics that is about the same genre of music.

We could use this topic to discuss the business aspect of the rap game,review albums/mixtapes, recommend rap CDs to listen to, rap "beefs" going on, and any rumors being circulated out there.

I'll go ahead and start this topic off with a few stories/rumors that might interest you.

50 Thinks next album will sell a Million and Jay-Z talks about the Soulja Boy-Ice T beef:
Quote:
50 Cent thinks we could see another MC sell a million copies in the first week before 2008 is over: him! He plans on dropping his next solo LP, Before I Self-Destruct, within the next few months.

"Fourth quarter," he said of the release date. "I got some music. But I'mma make music until I reach a closing date. I'mma stay creative and continue to try and progress.

"I want to focus on the positive, and I feel I'm one of the more vocal people in hip-hop," he added. "Even when it's not about music, people pay attention to me, because I have something to offer. I'll continue to create quality music at a pace they haven't seen."

This past Fourth of July, 50 supplied the perfect music for the holiday weekend barbecues, his latest mixtape, Sincerely Southside. Fif inserts his vocals on classic R&B songs such as Yarbrough and Peoples' "Don't Stop the Music" and Alicia Myers' "I Want to Thank You."

"I did that when I was on the movie set [of 'Microwave Park],' " he said. "That's why Banks and Yayo wasn't on it. ... That music is timeless. Undeniable music. To put it in a row where it's some of my favorite songs there and add a piece of me to it, I think it's exciting. I can bear listening to it, regardless of the setting I'm in. Everything I'm listening to isn't hip-hop music."

The Queens warlord also promised that a G-Unit Gangsta Grillz with DJ Drama is still on the horizon.

"The DJ Drama tape is probably gonna come, obviously after the G-Unit album," he explained.

Yeah, people are still talking about the Ice-T vs. Soulja Boy Tell'em flap. The issue is much larger than the two artists; it's about the generation gap. What does the man the MTV News Hip-Hop Brain Trust voted the Greatest MC of All Time have to say? Jay-Z noted that it's essential to have the ying and the yang.

"Well, I think there's a balance, right?" Jay said while he was in the U.K. to headline the Glastonbury music fest. "I think the newer guys have got to respect the foundation and what's been laid down for them. The older guys have got to respect what's coming up next. So, I know that sounds like a non-answer but that's just the truth. In hip-hop, it's all about balance. You've always had [Jazzy Jeff] and Fresh Prince when you had Rakim. There's always been a balance in hip-hop, and I think it's always needed. So, as long as we respect each other, 'Old school, new school, no school rules.' Doug E. Fresh, I guess."
Busta Rhymes dropped from Interscope(got this from thisis50.com)
Quote:
According to inside sources at Interscope Records, Busta Rhymes was allegedly recently dropped from the label. Our sources indicate that the dropping of Busta Rhymes comes just days after he had a heated argument and phone conversation over his tracks with Interscope Records President, Jimmy Iovine. We will have more information as the story develops...
Jay-Z "disses" The Game:
Quote:
P from Los Angeles sent this story to AllHipHop.com. Let me stress that this was the absolute perfect ending to a great weekend. To get it, you have to read the full story – beginning to end. JP – I salute you.
“Illseed, I'm currently on vacation in London right now and got the chance to go to Wimbledon. Out of the corner of my eye I caught Jay-Z cheering in the stands. During a break, all of the older Brit's and other Europeans there taking pictures with him and getting autographs. I was heated cuz I'm an actual fan and I was tryna get into his section so I could play him my ringtone (Hov's verse on “Mr. Carter”), so he could gimme free tickets to his sold out concert, or at least smoke me out - haha. Unfortunately, security wouldn't let me into his area and the other tennis match was about to start. So without thinking, while the match was going on, I stand up and scream "It's the ROC, b**ch!!!” Security immediately ran over to me and all of the rich Europeans looked at me like I had a bomb on me. Hov started cracking up and threw up the Roc while security was running towards me. Later on I saw that he was leaving early so I ran down to stairs to see if I could shake his hand or take a picture. He was already swarmed by people and he and his people were on the move. I jumped in front of him and shook his hand and I couldn't think of anything to say. All my ******* could think of, in my Dodger fitted, was "When you gonna go at The Game" and he just laughed and said "We ain't even f**kin with him...we gonna let him commit suicide." Definitely one of the highlights of my first trip outside of Cali.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Re: Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread

XXL's 10 Most Buzzworthy Independent MC's Today.

Quote:
The industry’s current climate may be crippling major labels, but it has somewhat leveled the playing field for independent artists.

Whether creating an internet buzz via relentless track leaks or going spin for spin and countdown for countdown with chart toppers, today’s crop of indie MCs is giving mainstream acts a run for their money, literally. On Independence Day, XXLMag.com salutes the Big 10: the game’s most consistent, skilled, promising, entrepreneurial and talked about independent MCs. Without further ado, here’s the Big 10 in no particular order…allegedly.

Killer Mike: He’s a veteran. He’s often overlooked. But damn, he can spit (see,
“Killionaire.”) The former Purple Ribbon all-star is set to drop the
second set of his Pledge of Allegiance to the Grind mixtape series later this
month. Let’s not forget KM took home Best Mixtape Honors over Lil Wayne at last
year’s Ozone Awards.

Immortal Technique: This Harlem MC charges his rhymes with as much angst in each bar as he has anguish for the American government. His latest project, the Green Lantern-assisted The 3rd World, is another dose of sharp—and harsh—political commentary. The Evil Genius’ production may make it go down easy, but its still plenty filling.

Shawty Lo: It’s L-O! He’s not as underground as the rest of this list, but his story is at DIY as it gets. He funded the rise of D4L (Forgive him, if you can.), but instead of pocketing the funds, the Bankhead trapper flipped his money into his solo career releasing a series of mixtapes titled I’m Da Man, which spawned his breakout hit “Dey Know”—which is still burning throughout the summer—and the Shawty Lo dance. (Forgive him, if you can.)

Bun B: This Underground King’s reign has kept going despite the loss of his right-hand man Pimp C. The Port Arthur, Texas legend’s II Trill is a reminder of what was, what could have been, and what will be, in the aftermath of Chad Butler’s death. Man up, ‘cause Bun certainly has.

Jay Electronica: He’s either gonna be the new Q-Tip; a musical genius (who also produced for Nas, see Jay’s work on Nas’ Untitled)), the voice of hip-hop’s sensitive consciousness, and a penchant for having one of the baddest chicks on his arm (Hellloooo, Ms. Badu…). Or he’s gonna be the new Baatin; eccentric, moody, and fail to live up to his much-hyped talent.

Cool Kids: We don’t know what’s tighter, their jeans or their rhymes. But the Midwest duo of Mikey Rocks and Chuck Inglish sparked a rage for nostalgia with their kick-drum inspired beats and every man lyrics. They dropped a couple of EPs, and before their official debut, When Fish Ride Bicycles, arrives they’re hitting the ‘Net off with their recently released mixtape, That’s Stupid.

Curren$y: The former Young Money artist had a heater on his hands with “Where Da Cash At?” featuring Lil Wayne and Remy Ma. But the New Orleans native— and avid skate fan—didn’t let a little adversity set him back. He regrouped on his own and took to the Web, releasing the well-received mixtape Fear and Loathing in New Orleans. How’s that saying go? Kick, push…coast.

Mickey Factz: Downtown Manhattan (and eskay) favorite, Mickey Factz has been attacking the Internets with his weekly “The Leak,” a series of one-off tracks and diary-like entries detailing his inspiration for the songs. He’s like the new Crooked I. Except he’s not from California. Or wasn’t affiliated with Suge Knight before. But he has a better chance of actually releasing an album, so we’ll give him a break.

U-N-I: This pair of Inglewood rappers have helped to resurrect the Cali backpack rap scene (along with Pac Division who inked with Universal, so, goodbye indie days!) and ushered in a new era in L.A. amid all the gangsta boogie and clichés. Need proof? Check their remake of Wu-Tang’s classic cut “C.R.E.A.M.” titled “K.R.E.A.M.,” for Kicks Rule Everything Around Me. And they ain’t talking about Chucks.

Tanya Morgan: No, Tanya Morgan isn’t a female singer from the Soulquarians set. But they are Okayplayer hip-hop heads who got their start when they connected on the like-minded social site. Add a couple members here. Drop an EP, then an album, and now their newest project, the highly anticipated The Bridge, is garnering them more buzz than a U.S.soldier’s haircut.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

http://www.myspace.com/sagetheinfinite

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Chamillionaire-Chamilli(A Milli Remix)

http://www.chamillionaire.com/
(click the link to get to his official website to D/L the track)
Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Lucky Luciano is that dude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
I told ThaGenecyst this before but Tell Me Why is sick... just sick.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

underground rap thread > this thread, but I'll still participate!

but actually looking through my music it's been a while since there has been a mainstream album that I have enjoyed. David Banner has that new album, and "Cadillacs on 22's part 2" is kind of catchy.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
underground rap thread > this thread, but I'll still participate!
*rolls eyes*

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »