Home

API in relation to Catcher's rating

This is a discussion on API in relation to Catcher's rating within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
API in relation to Catcher's rating

i had wondered if a higher rated catcher would call a better game than a lower rated one.
Ex: if i have jose molina(or any of the molina brothers) behind the plate would their veteran presence and championship expierence contribute to better suggestions by the API?

or then again, if i had Jeff Mathis behind the plate would the API suffer? IRL Mathis is looking to Mike Scioscia to call the next pitch in important situations. so would the game take this into account and penalize Mathis less because he's coached by the game's best manager?

Or is the API just all the same regardless of who's behind the dish?

do lower rated defensive catchers cost u more than just passed balls and wild throws on pickoffs and steal attempts?

Might bad catchers also throw off your pitchers game and/or confidence?

any input would be appreciated cause i have never been able to figure it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: API in relation to Catcher's rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterju2
i had wondered if a higher rated catcher would call a better game than a lower rated one.
Ex: if i have jose molina(or any of the molina brothers) behind the plate would their veteran presence and championship expierence contribute to better suggestions by the API?

or then again, if i had Jeff Mathis behind the plate would the API suffer? IRL Mathis is looking to Mike Scioscia to call the next pitch in important situations. so would the game take this into account and penalize Mathis less because he's coached by the game's best manager?

Or is the API just all the same regardless of who's behind the dish?

do lower rated defensive catchers cost u more than just passed balls and wild throws on pickoffs and steal attempts?

Might bad catchers also throw off your pitchers game and/or confidence?

any input would be appreciated cause i have never been able to figure it out
Thats actually a question I was wondering last night as i had my rookie catcher starting and kept on getting lit up when listening to him, so i would also love to know the answer to this.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

OVR: 25

Those are two good thoughts / questions you guys posted....I have been wondering the same myself. It is possible that only the development personnel would know that for sure. It is something that I would like to know as it might influence trades...FA or other roster activity when I begin Franchise play.

75% of the Earths surface is covered by water......the remaining 25% is covered by Ichiro.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution42
Those are two good thoughts / questions you guys posted....I have been wondering the same myself. It is possible that only the development personnel would know that for sure. It is something that I would like to know as it might influence trades...FA or other roster activity when I begin Franchise play.

Ya exactly it would maybe influence my decision to put the rookie in over Vartitek(SP?) who i have as my backup right now. I might consider putting him in a bit more with the young guys and see how it goes and see if there is any difference.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

I'm pretty sure the API is based on the hitter's scouting report, and has nothing to do with the catcher...don't quote me though, but I think that's what I remember reading (I don't use API so it's irrelevant to me).

And not that it matters, but Mathis is actually a great game caller. Thats why Scioscia starts him at all. He had the lowest staff ERA (or one of the lowest) in the majors last year. Obviously a lot of that is because the Angels have a top tier rotation, but the pitchers like throwing to him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

this is a stat featured in 2k that should absolutely be in MLB The show, along with composure
Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

i have the same question guys.

Does the API effected the Catchers Rating ?

for example, did Posada make a better " Game Calling " then the younger , inexperienced Catcher Wieters or Towles ??

i dont know, but sometimes i have Catchers, they arent call a good game.... and then, other time, i have perfect Pitch calls from the Catcher.

its very serious, i want to know that.
or , does every catcher have the same api ratings ?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

I have to think that if there isn't already a rating in the game for this, that it would be easy to implement.

There's already a percentage that is produced based on the type of pitch, location of the pitch, effectiveness of the pitch, hitter's contact/power off that handed pitcher, and their hot/cold zones...it wouldn't hurt to throw one more number in there based on the catcher's "ability to call"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »