Home

Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

This is a discussion on Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

Everyone refers to Patrick Willis as the leagues best MLB, but the truth is he is a 3-4 ILB. I was watching a documentary on middle line backers and they covered mostly Sam Huff and Ray Lewis. Ray Lewis himself stated that ILB and MLB are much different and he highlighted how ILB has less responsibility and isn't truly a MLB. He said he did not like playing ILB and that it isn't a true MLB and he could never fully play to his potential and even though he excelled in that role and possibly played better as an ILB he still felt like he didn't shoulder enough responsibility.

With this said, Willis is an ILB and not a MLB, he does not have the same responsibilities as true MLB's and while he never said it he alluded that it is an easier position to play. Not to mention Willis would probably play OLB in the 4-3.

Can you actually call Willis the best Mike in the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

Willis is good but he's pretty average in coverage. Jon Beason and Lofa Tatupu are as good, IMO.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Willis is good but he's pretty average in coverage. Jon Beason and Lofa Tatupu are as good, IMO.
I agree.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

Patrick Willis would excel in 4-3 MLB because he doesn't have to always Shed blocks from interior linemen. Ray Lewis says it harder to play 4-3 because he hates playing 3-4 ILB because he hates having OG blocking him majority of the times. He can't shoot through gaps consistently like he could in the 4-3.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

I have yet to hear someone say Willis is the best MLB in the game. IMO Ray Lewis has been the best MLB in the past decade.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 18

DIdnt one time Ray Lewis was pissed at the Raven for not using the 4-3 def. He said using 3-4 is not helping him to his full potential. I know Ray Ray hates the 3-4 def with a passion. He hates that style of def. Im surprise Patrick Willis is not good in coverage with all speed he has because he is faster than lewis(when he came into the league). I think brian urlacher to me is the best MLB coverage i have seen, i mean aint he use to play FS or SS in college. Back on topic: Patrick Willis if stay healthy will up there with Lewis the man is beast.

Last edited by stateprop; 09-07-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateprop
DIdnt one time Ray Lewis was pissed at the Raven for not using the 4-3 def. He said using 3-4 is not helping him to his full potential. I know Ray Ray hates the 3-4 def with a passion. He hates that style of def. Im surprise Patrick Willis is not good in coverage with all speed he has because he is faster than lewis(when he came into the league). I think brian urlacher to me is the best MLB coverage i have seen, i mean aint he use to play FS or SS in college. Back on topic: Patrick Willis if stay healthy will up there with Lewis the man is beast.
Give Patrick Willis a Pass rush then you will see more returned interception for TDs like the Seattle game.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Rookie

MVP23's Arena

OVR: 9

No i don't but he is not far from passing Ray Lewis. If Willis had a better Supporting Cast then the 49ers would be a top 5 Defense. But i think we will see that this year from the 49ers.

Miami Heat

Miami Marlins

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »