Home

Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

This is a discussion on Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ray Lewis does not hate the 3-4. If all you get is one media piece and run with that then ... The man won defensive player of the year in the 3-4. He does not hate it. He, like anyone will hate it if you have small linemen in the 3-4 which we had before Ngata, Pryce. But even with those small linemen he won Defensive player of the year and was on par to win it the previous year (our first year in 3-4) but he got the shoulder injury. Secondly, Ray Lewis has always had to deal with blocks, EVEN when we ran 4-3 (not as many but still had too). But he was 265 lbs then so he could care less. I'd say pull out the 1999/2000 Titans regular season, playoffs, and the Raiders games and you will see Ray Lewis having to deal with blocks.

Athletically, Willis is better than Lewis, that's to be expected. The book is about to close for Ray soon. Willis has a good 10 years left in this league. Instinctually however, I think that's another story. I'm not sure anyone has caught up with Lewis in that department. His knack for film study and knowing the other teams offense and having guys like Reed that also know the other teams offense make them both on the field coaches that know how to change the defense and put it in the best position to deal with what they are looking at. The difference with the Ravens and has been after Nolan left is, Rex could call one thing, but Ray/Reed might get on the field and call something else. And they have been right every time they've done it.

If you re-watch the Colts game from last year where we got beat you will hear Lewis tell Bart Scott, "outside, outside, they are coming outside." Scott acted all confused. And sure enough the Colts ran outside and because Scott was not in position, Dominic Rhodes gained 47 yards. Then after the play you could hear Lewis say, "Man I just told you outside!!!" Again, it's this type of thing that still separates Lewis in his "old age" from the younger cats that are physically better than him at this point.
I agree. Ray had great physical skills went he first entered the league but it's his instincts that make him the best MLB I've seen (Didn't see Butkus, only saw the end of Singletary's career). There is no wasted movement with Ray and rarely will he get caught out of position.

I don't knock players for stuff they can't control such as what systems they play in. A great player is a great player.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Do you think that Patrick Willis has finally surpassed Ray Lewis as the best MLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWilliamson
Over the past 10 years, IMO, London Fletcher has been just as good as Ray Lewis. Yet Lewis probably has 10 pro bowls and Fletcher zero.
I love Fletcher and he deserves more love... but absolutely not. He wasn't as good as Lewis last year, let alone the last 10.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ray Lewis does not hate the 3-4. If all you get is one media piece and run with that then ... The man won defensive player of the year in the 3-4. He does not hate it. He, like anyone will hate it if you have small linemen in the 3-4 which we had before Ngata, Pryce. But even with those small linemen he won Defensive player of the year and was on par to win it the previous year (our first year in 3-4) but he got the shoulder injury. Secondly, Ray Lewis has always had to deal with blocks, EVEN when we ran 4-3 (not as many but still had too). But he was 265 lbs then so he could care less. I'd say pull out the 1999/2000 Titans regular season, playoffs, and the Raiders games and you will see Ray Lewis having to deal with blocks.

Athletically, Willis is better than Lewis, that's to be expected. The book is about to close for Ray soon. Willis has a good 10 years left in this league. Instinctually however, I think that's another story. I'm not sure anyone has caught up with Lewis in that department. His knack for film study and knowing the other teams offense and having guys like Reed that also know the other teams offense make them both on the field coaches that know how to change the defense and put it in the best position to deal with what they are looking at. The difference with the Ravens and has been after Nolan left is, Rex could call one thing, but Ray/Reed might get on the field and call something else. And they have been right every time they've done it.

If you re-watch the Colts game from last year where we got beat you will hear Lewis tell Bart Scott, "outside, outside, they are coming outside." Scott acted all confused. And sure enough the Colts ran outside and because Scott was not in position, Dominic Rhodes gained 47 yards. Then after the play you could hear Lewis say, "Man I just told you outside!!!" Again, it's this type of thing that still separates Lewis in his "old age" from the younger cats that are physically better than him at this point.
I never saw Ray as a stack and shed linebacker. Ray is at his best when he could run free to the ball. If a team get a blocker on him isn't the most physical at taking on blockers. I remember the game against KC a few years back and those KC linemen was putting Ray on his back that isn't a knock but even great players have their weakness.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapStar215
Well Ray Lewis may only have about 2-3 years let. If he stays healthy, after that Patrick will be the only one to talk about.
I don't think have another 3 years in the league. He is beginning to look little less explosive to me.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I never saw Ray as a stack and shed linebacker. Ray is at his best when he could run free to the ball. If a team get a blocker on him isn't the most physical at taking on blockers. I remember the game against KC a few years back and those KC linemen was putting Ray on his back that isn't a knock but even great players have their weakness.
Name one MLB who isn't at his "best" when he can run free to the ball. That KC game you're talking about was when KC had arguably the best Oline in the NFL. Not to take anything away from Priest Holmes but he had good games against Cleveland in Baltimore, got behind that line and became a HOFer. I wouldn't say he's every struggled, but even the years when the Ravens D line wasn't fit for the 3-4 he was a beast (until he got hurt, as LB mentioned earlier). Keep in mind, the Ravens have sent 4 D coordinators and a LB coach on their way to opportunities as head coaches and the D (when Ray has been healthy) has not missed a beat. 4-3, 3-4, whatever.

Quote:
I don't think have another 3 years in the league. He is beginning to look little less explosive to me.
I don't know how many Ravens games you watch but probably not many. Last year he had his usual 100+ tackles while leading the 2nd or 3rd best defense and continuing the insane run of games without allowing a 100 yard rusher. At this point, he's more prone to injury, but that's the only thing stopping him from going another 2 or 3 years and being effective. Honestly, Ray sitting in a wheelchair on the field presnap is more valuable than a lot of the MLBs in the league. He is the Ravens D Coordinator.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Name one MLB who isn't at his "best" when he can run free to the ball. That KC game you're talking about was when KC had arguably the best Oline in the NFL. Not to take anything away from Priest Holmes but he had good games against Cleveland in Baltimore, got behind that line and became a HOFer. I wouldn't say he's every struggled, but even the years when the Ravens D line wasn't fit for the 3-4 he was a beast (until he got hurt, as LB mentioned earlier). Keep in mind, the Ravens have sent 4 D coordinators and a LB coach on their way to opportunities as head coaches and the D (when Ray has been healthy) has not missed a beat. 4-3, 3-4, whatever.

I don't know how many Ravens games you watch but probably not many. Last year he had his usual 100+ tackles while leading the 2nd or 3rd best defense and continuing the insane run of games without allowing a 100 yard rusher. At this point, he's more prone to injury, but that's the only thing stopping him from going another 2 or 3 years and being effective. Honestly, Ray sitting in a wheelchair on the field presnap is more valuable than a lot of the MLBs in the league. He is the Ravens D Coordinator.

I think Ray is the best lb in the last ten years but he is weak in shedding blocks.

I watched Ray in one pre-seaon game this year against the Lions. I saw him get beat in coverage and he blitzed and the 3rd string rb put him on the ground. He is getting older and that isn't a slight against Ray. I remember when LT started to slow up. He is at the stage of his career that he is slowing up and I don't see him in a Ravens uniform in 3 threes.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
I think Ray is the best lb in the last ten years but he is weak in shedding blocks.

I watched Ray in one pre-seaon game this year against the Lions. I saw him get beat in coverage and he blitzed and the 3rd string rb put him on the ground. He is getting older and that isn't a slight against Ray. I remember when LT started to slow up. He is at the stage of his career that he is slowing up and I don't see him in a Ravens uniform in 3 threes.
The Ravens didn't play the Lions in the preseason. Can't even imagine if you meant another team bc I watched every Ravens preseason game twice and don't remember that... but even if I did, I'd probably base my opinion on all of last year and the year before before the qtr he may have played in a preseason game, if it was even him that you're talking about. In 3 years I don't know what uniform you think he'll be in with the contract he just signed. He'll either be a raven or retired... and if retired, it'd be due to injury.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Any linebacker is at his best when he can run free. You are right the KC linemen were killing Lewis. They were often sending a FB and a Guard at him. Ray was 240 lbs that year, not close to the 265 he was in the SB run. Everyone wants to harp on that one game, but, even that year, we made the Wildcard and lost to TN and guess who was DPOY? Lewis. And even in that game we only gave up 129 rushing yards between 2 RB's.

If you go back to the 2000 season when we won the SB and scan the tapes, you will see Lewis dealing with blocks even with Goose and Adams in front of him (however, never two guys, which is what KC did a great deal). The Chiefs lined up in a lot of jumbo sets and bunch sets and ran a great deal of zone that allowed the linemen to combo and peel to the 2nd level and the FB to lead up to the second level and take Lewis out. That's what happens when the DL is relatively small. Our average DL that year was 290 lbs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »