Home

Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

This is a discussion on Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

The man coverage is flat out bad. They mirror your reciever and literally run the route better than the reciever, its so annoying. Just go to practice mode and try to throw any timing route to a WR on man coverage, it simply does not work. Its so stupid. I'm going to make a video about this tomorrow to back up this issue. This problem definately needs to be addressed ASAP because it really takes away from an overall good game.

Now I will say that this game is MUCH better than past iterations. Its just the continuous problems from year to year that they STILL haven't fixed that irritate the poop out of me. Just imagine if APFs passing game was the passing game of NCAA Football 11. The game would be great. Its just that some of the basic fundamentals of football are still not replicated in this game, something that some folks from England got right in their FIRST EVER game.

For example, the fundamentals of man coverage, correct any mistakes if you guys see any: The defender squares up to the reciever before the snap. The defender backpedals with the WR as the play begins. The defender is looking at the WR at all times at the beginning of the play. The defender watches ( supposed to) the hips of the WR to judge the cuts or fake cuts of the WR. If he bends his hips, he's cutting, if he doesn't or does just a bit, he's faking. The defender breaks his backpedal when the WR makes his cut. At this time, the defender has to judge whether or not he has the ability to jump the route. If he feels confident, he'll go for it. Otherwise, he'll trail. If the reciever runs a deeper route, the defender takes the inside hip and runs alongside the reciever.

This is how man coverage is played in Backbreaker. The only flaw is that the route running isn't fast enough so most routes get jumped. But the fundamentals are near perfect.

Here is how they play man coverage in NCAA Football 11: The defender squares up to the reciever. At the snap, he backpedals a couple of steps. When the reciever catches up to him, he breaks his backpedal to trail ( still good at this point). When the WR makes his cut ( or should I say when the defender makes his cut) the defender ( or should I say the WR) makes the cut perfectly with him, putting the defender in front of the WR in prime position to be the new WR. Not to mention, defenders for some reason can cut faster than WRs, I have no clue why as that makes absolutely no sense. Its like the defenders have a 6th sense of what route the WR is running, making timing routes a recipe for disaster. Like I said, this needs to be addressed ASAP because it really ruins what is a great game to me.

Last edited by ironman136; 07-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Man Coverage in this game NEEDS to be fixed

Impression's thread isn't just stickied for looks
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-only.html
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I am under the impression that the appropriate slider adjustements ('reaction time'?) help to rectify this issue. Have you tried that yet?
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Crossing routes and slants are usually more successful against man coverage, but I don't know if you're referring to any specific routes or all of them. I do think the DB's act like they "know" the routes and run them before the ball is even out of the QB's hands sometimes.

Maybe try what someone mentioned by adjusting the reaction slider. Otherwise, you just have to adjust by reading the defense and knowing what routes to throw to if you recognize man coverage, or hot route a receiver to a suitable route.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Rookie

I noticed this in the first game I played. I was way too cautious because of what I was seeing. I got sacked 12 times on Heisman. That's never happened to me, ever. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
Rookie

TigerRag's Arena

I totally agree, the mirroring is really bad. Sure, slants(when the DB's don't jam the heck out of you) work. Drags work. But good luck getting anything else down the field when in man.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty199127
Impression's thread isn't just stickied for looks
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-only.html
This doesn't seem like an impression to me. Seems like an issue meant for discussion.

About the thread, I disagree. Now, I'm only on All-American, but I've been able to throw on man coverage fairly easily. Crossing routes work well on lead passes. I can hit the deep streak as well. The post has been successful as well. Now that I think about it, man coverage is easier than zone. However, I do agree that the way the computer reacts isn't... life-like lol. I think it's improved over last year, but it's still a bit problematic.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
This doesn't seem like an impression to me. Seems like an issue meant for discussion.

About the thread, I disagree. Now, I'm only on All-American, but I've been able to throw on man coverage fairly easily. Crossing routes work well on lead passes. I can hit the deep streak as well. The post has been successful as well. Now that I think about it, man coverage is easier than zone. However, I do agree that the way the computer reacts isn't... life-like lol. I think it's improved over last year, but it's still a bit problematic.

Let me know how successful you are with completing a stop route. I'm about to go in practice mode right now and throw 10 passes on man to man coverage and come back and tell you how many I complete.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »