Home

Recruiting Tips?

This is a discussion on Recruiting Tips? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
MVP

miz468's Arena

OVR: 7
Recruiting Tips?

I don't know if it's just me but recruiting is HARD. Anybody have any tips on this new recruiting style?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Strategy

OVR: 36
Re: Recruiting Tips?

My thing with recruiting is that it's so time consuming now...WOW! I'm looking for some tips too.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

CPU recruiting AI is much smarter than it used to be, so don't plan on landing recruiting classes [e.g. 15+ 5-stars] that far exceed your schools ability. Stick to kids you have a good chance at (e.g. your in top 3, top 5 to start and aren't 300+ points behind the leader) and don't compete against schools with much higher in prestige; as if a school with much higher prestige wants a player they'll land them whether they are CPU or human...

Even if you really want a kid, its really tough to sign someone if your competing against Texas for a kid in Texas or competing against Florida, Miami or FSU for a Florida kid... Unless you really want to use your resources (recruiting time) on these kids, they should be avoided...

Just because it allows you to give out 25 scholarships doesn't mean you should. 25 recruits is far with the 70 player limit. You'll end up cutting recruits if you sign 20+ recruits every season. My advice is to be very picky about recruits you use resources recruiting, don't chase 4 or 5 cornerbacks and hope to land 1. Your much better off putting all your resources into the one you really want...

I'd advise to make a very small recruiting board (12 - 18, depending on how many seniors you have) of recruits you really want of recruits you have a good chance at. Instead of spending about 20 minutes on each of your 30-35 recruits, now your going to spend 30-50 minutes on your 12-18 recruits and your going to win a lot more recruiting battles.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Maybe this has always been the case, but I'm seeing a few Soft Commit to schools who haven't even offered a recruit. I thought this was kind of strange but maybe that has changed. Course I was also able to change a kid from a Soft Commit for another school eventually into a commit to my school, so maybe something has changed.

There also have been cases in the past where late in the season there were kids who were in the top 150 but who had no offers and you could sometimes swoop in and snatch them up. Playing with a 3 star program, that doesn't seem to be working for me as well as it had in the past.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Rookie

Wenkinator's Arena

OVR: 4

Here is my take on recruiting guys...

Unlike any other NCAA Football, it will be more difficult to just recruit any athlete that you want. Over the past 24 hours of playing with a 3 star program, I feel like I have an understanding of recruiting at least one the All-American level.

First of all... Recruits have "stages". Some will be in Top 10. Some in Top 8. Some in Top 5, and then in Top 3. If a recruit is in a certain stage, and your position on his list does not fit his stage... You won't be snagging him. With that out of the way, if you make the requirement, make the call.

If I am number 1 on his list, I have been offering him a scholarship right off the bat. There was one season when I got 5 instant commitments.

If the interest bar is the same color and within 250 points of the first team on the list, you do not need to feel threatened about being cut off from the stage. I typically don't offer the scholarship right away in this case. Instead I just take the time to get to know the recruit, and maybe I'll make a promise.

If you are near the bottom of the list, the first 2 weeks you need to pitch hard. Offer a scholarship, make promises, and hope that the top teams don't want the guy you are hard after.

I would try to only have 20 players on your board in the beginning. You won't get the guys you really want if you aren't spending at least 20-30 minutes a week talking to them.

I'll have more later if you need it... That should help you out though if you are having issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Target your biggest needs in season and then backfill from there. Make a priority list of what you need. Keep the list small in season and really go in for the kill. If you are in front and the kid is in your pipeline, just stay out in front with the bonus.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Rookie

greenhead's Arena

OVR: 1

I do a lot of planning, which kind of makes this year frustrating, but better, because the process is so time consuming. This process hasn't really changed from year to year, and in three seasons so far in 11, its worked out ok for me.

I look at my needs first, then look at both my outgoing senior class and my upcoming junior class. If I have any juniors that are likely to bolt early, I take that into account.

With that analysis, I usually only go after 15-20 kids at the beginning of the season. I'll generally first sort recruits by the green circle, and add anyone my prestige rating or above. (If I am a three star, I'll add all 3,4,and 5 star green circle players. (rarely will there be a 4 or 5...but if they are there, and like you, go for them...at least at this stage) If I need a kid, but its' just for depth, I may go one star under my prestige if he has me #1 and I feel I am just going to redshirt him anyways.

I then go to each of my home state and pipeline states and add guys I think I have a chance with, paying particular attention to needs.

By this time, I usually have more guys on the board than I want, so, I go back and sort by interest...then look at needs again, and make sure my top few playerss are both (1) players of need and (2) attainable. I might move someone up a spot or two if I am in competition with schools the same prestige level as me, or if they are pipeline...since I know I get a pipeline bonus.

In the past I'd take a flyer on a few skill players to see if I had a chance...I'm not going to do that anymore. I have had zero luck so far. I also used to sort the available players by speed and put the fastest guy on the board, regardless of rating, regardless of where he thought of me, on my board. I am still doing that...just not sure yet that it has paid off.

In any case, I work through my target list and pare it down to what I really need to replace my outgoing seniors (and any junior I may lose) then work from there.

If at any point during the season it looks like I'm out of the running, I drop the guy and add the next best player I have a shot at.

So far, this year, I'll use between 40-60 minutes on my immediate needs, and 20-40 on the rest. I usually have enough time where I am able to at least call all of the players on my board. I also use my first three or four weeks to find a prospect's interest in a pitch (much like previous years) If my pitch isn't strong (below a B) I'll either change the pitch, or make a promise. You basically get two freebie promises for every recruit (PT and no redshirt). I generally at least use all of those on every recruit.

That's pretty much what I do. What I found interesting this year was that even if a recruit is "low" on a particular pitch, if you have a good score, you can still pick up points pitching it if you run out of options, or pick up points by comparing it to someone with a lower score.

The more I play with this recruiting, the more I tend to think it isn't as new as we originally thought. However, it is much more transparent and the interface change is quite welcome.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

As mentioned by others, it is very important to get a list of 10-15 recruits and go after them hard. Throughout the season some players may loose interest or sign with another team. This is when you look for players that have some interest in your team, but do not have offers from other teams.

I have also found it helpful to compare schools when you have a higher rating than them, even if they are #2,3,4,5 on the recruits list. You pick up some serious points here if you have an A rating and they have a B or lower.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »