Home

Your Recruiting Strategy

This is a discussion on Your Recruiting Strategy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Rookie

BIGD419's Arena

OVR: 5
Your Recruiting Strategy

Hey guys..

In anticipation of starting my dynasty with names, I've been toying around in a dynasty with recruiting. I don't do anything in the dynasty except use up my 10 hours of recruiting, and advance to the next week, then repeat. Since I'm playing with OSU, I've been using Ohio State.

The first year I tried All-American settings. About 7 weeks in I had a horrific class, and decided to start over on Varsity.

This time around was better I guess. I finished with the 44th best class. I told my self "44th is a little low for a school who had all but maybe 5 or 6 five star players interested, huh?" Then I realized that even though they may be interested, do I really have a chance at the #1 QB from Florida who's also interested in Miami, Florida, FSU, Georgia, and LSU ahead of me?

So once again I start over. The second time around, I targeted all the five start players who were interested, all the Ohio 4 star players, and a few other 4 stars to start out with.

I'm gonna re-start one more time before my real dynasty, but I have some questions for you guys who are getting into this re-vamped recruiting.

1. How do you set your board in the pre-season? The top 35 interested players, players who have you in there top 3, top in-state players, etc.? And how do you line it up? By caliber, needs, interest?

2. How do you distribute time? 30 mins to very other player, 20 to all players, randomly, etc.?

3. How good is this working out for you?

I'd appreciate any help at all with this guys. If your reading this and have another question in mind, go ahead and post it, me or someone else will try to help you out I'm sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Your Recruiting Strategy

In my Ohio State dynasty I just offer them money.

Last edited by DrPhibes; 07-14-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

You don't want to go after 35 recruits. That is your problem. I go after 15 to start with and give them 40 mins each,but a lot of people have success with 20 players.Target a smaller number of recruits and you should be fine. Also, offer scholarships right away to people who have you #1 on their list, I would suggest waiting to offer scholarships to other players.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

I haven't done dynasty in 11 yet, and I know the recruiting is a little bit different this year, however in years past...

Generally speaking, I ordered my recruits in order of priority need for my team. My main focus is on filling holes, and then I go after the big time prospects that could see significant playing time early.

As for time, it's kind of a mixed bag. Early on, I like to spread my time out evenly amongst as many recruits as possible to get some feelers. I try to find the recruits that have a high priority on the things my school grades out well on. If his high priorities are on things my school grades out bad on, I drop him off.

Also, I don't always keep 35 guys on my board. You can't talk to 35 players every week, etc.

That said, I tend to spend a little let time with the people who have me as their #1 school, and more time with the others I'm trying to move up with. However, I do try to at least touch base with all the guys that have me at #1. The sooner they commit, the sooner I can start focusing on other recruits. Also, I don't lose that recruit this way.

I don't offer scholarships to anyone that I'm not their #1 choice unless I it is late in the season and I need a boost to jump up. Sometimes I will do it kind of mid-season to recruits in pipeline states, especially the home state.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 7

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ting-tips.html

has a few good tips on the next page of the forum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Rookie

Chef J2's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefist
You don't want to go after 35 recruits. That is your problem. I go after 15 to start with and give them 40 mins each,but a lot of people have success with 20 players.Target a smaller number of recruits and you should be fine. Also, offer scholarships right away to people who have you #1 on their list, I would suggest waiting to offer scholarships to other players.
Personally, I like this method. The distribution of recruiting points allows you to aggressively recruit players. This results in a higher number of in-season signings. Always replace each new signee with another player to recruit and give him the allotted 40 minutes. This method will typically result in a very good class if you strategically recruit each position and player.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Banned

Alkalinesolo022's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhibes
In my Ohio State dynasty I just offer them money.
LMAO! so true
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Rookie

guitarchitect7's Arena

OVR: 4

Good question...

First thing I would recommend anyone (and I'm not expert) is to review your roster numbers. I will use my Iowa State Cyclones as an example. Looking at the the current roster I have only 68 signed players, so that leaves 2 spots open for immediate signing regardless of who leaves or who stays.

I then review my needs - currently they had a need of 8 players I believe. So even with the departure of Seniors, I only have a need of 8 to fill out my roster to ensure my talent level remains the same or hopefully increases ( assuming the incoming freshman on the team can fill the voids left by the Seniors in the coming years).

After that I review how many seniors are leaving - how many for sure schollies will I have left to fill to max out my 70 roster spots (assuming again that no Juniors leave early). I will then review my team and find positions that are always in constant need of incoming players (WR, LB, DL, OL, CB), and target one or two within those areas. I may end up not targeting any players are certain positions if there is a plentiful of that position (HB, QB, TE). My total number ended up around 17. This number became my magic number.

Initially starting I focus on that magic number of 17, and even more specifically the needs number of 8 as these are spots that are relatively thin and need help immediately. Coming out of Pre-season I had around 18 players targeted - some were two or three at one position due to maybe needing two or three needs to fill.

I reorder based on needs - this should be an indication of the weakest position on my team and thus needs filled as quickly as possible; not always the case though. I begin then putting max time, 60 min, into my top targets at those necessary positions. I want to push hard on those players as soon as possible.

As soon as I've recruited at least the 8 spots to fill my needs, I move on to filling my senior spots with positions that always need incoming players. Depending on the talent lvl depends on the time spent (50-30 min). Once those players have been targeted, I should be left over with various other position players that may be backup options if one doesn't pan out and commits elsewhere. I spend around 20-10 min to just keep them engaged.

I never have a full 35 players targeted at any time - I don't even have 35 schollies to hand out and maybe only 17 spots to actually fill unless there are other players already on the team that I would be willing to cut. by limiting my recruiting pool, I can focus more energy early on - get some early commits hopefully, and then fill in later as needed with some fair talent that is still out there.

Keep in mind, a reassessment is necessary each week. See if your 60 min efforts are really getting you any closer, or would it be wise to find another target right away. '11 seems to have a lot more early commits, this will give you a good sign of how to proceed with backup options as well.

Again, I'm not an expert, but it's been my approach. I may never get top recruiting class, but I get players that I want, and don't get stuck just trying to fill a spot because I need to instead of because I want to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »