Home

EA I have an idea that might help stop glitch goals

This is a discussion on EA I have an idea that might help stop glitch goals within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6
EA I have an idea that might help stop glitch goals

After playing over 100 EASHL games since the game released I have become all too familiar with this year's goto glitch goals. 90% of them have one thing in common: They all rely on shooting a wrist shot from the "windup" position to exploit the goalie AI..

I watch a ton of hockey and this motion that is used so often in the game is not really that common in the actual NHL for most players. My idea would be to eliminate the ability to shoot from this "windup" forehand position altogether. So if you were to flick the right stick up to attempt a shot it wouldn't do anything. I doubt this is feasible with a patch but if it is you could keep the windup motion in the game strictly for stickhandling purposes and just make an across the board increase to all player's wrist shot power attribute to compensate for the lack of available wrister power from the removal of the windup wrister.

Then next year you could redo the wrist shot animations maybe allowing players with great wrist shots a windup type animation that is automatically triggered when they shoot. I think this change would go a long way in making the game more realistic and enjoyable for a lot of people.

Thoughts?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

Re: EA I have an idea that might help stop glitch goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
After playing over 100 EASHL games since the game released I have become all too familiar with this year's goto glitch goals. 90% of them have one thing in common: They all rely on shooting a wrist shot from the "windup" position to exploit the goalie AI..

I watch a ton of hockey and this motion that is used so often in the game is not really that common in the actual NHL for most players. My idea would be to eliminate the ability to shoot from this "windup" forehand position altogether. So if you were to flick the right stick up to attempt a shot it wouldn't do anything. I doubt this is feasible with a patch but if it is you could keep the windup motion in the game strictly for stickhandling purposes and just make an across the board increase to all player's wrist shot power attribute to compensate for the lack of available wrister power from the removal of the windup wrister.

Then next year you could redo the wrist shot animations maybe allowing players with great wrist shots a windup type animation that is automatically triggered when they shoot. I think this change would go a long way in making the game more realistic and enjoyable for a lot of people.

Thoughts?

I have to agree,.....it`s one of the reasons that shot power is higher for human players in my sliders,....the cpu already gets that speed without the pullback wrister.

There are a few other body/arm/stick positions you can get a 'shot off",where in real life,you wouldn`t be anywhere near as effective,or very possible.

This animation is pretty old too,because it`s sort of always been a "go to " move for shooting,...mostly due to goalies being too hard to score on otherwise,and if they were too poor it didn`t matter.

Personally,....the only thing that bothered me is the fact that it "froze my goalie AI"....and the scoring percentage was way too high.I could stop them often enough,because the pull-back was a tell that it was a comin.

I`m a goalie in real life,.....and if I drop 20 pucks in any location one calls a scoring area,and put me in a position where I have a chance at making a save,.......1 on 1,...you shoot the same location all 20 shots per station,...... if you get 2 goals out of 20 per station,then someone missed you and you would be hall of fame material.
That`s in perfect conditions for a shooter too,nobody hacking down on you,etc.......

2 out of 20 ,......and you would be happy to get 2.

Good goalies can stop the puck,...and a 90% save percentage is almost a standard....not even considered "hot".

Man,skaters can`t even play shifts with a 90% success rate at their job,....let alone a whole game.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Redskins Pride

So how do you get goals to go in? You get the goalie moving. You get him out of his comfort zone, create traffic. You freeze him from the slot.

Honestly I have no idea how ea fixes the goalies and makes them more realistic without them letting in a million goals..

Last edited by Redskins Pride; 09-26-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

You guys seem to be right on. I watch a decent amount of hockey but have never played. I really enjoy the insight the hockey players on this board bring. It really is a shame that the wind up wrister is still the most scored goal in the game. This dates back all the way to 08.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins Pride
So how do you get goals to go in? You get the goalie moving. You get him out of his comfort zone, create traffic. You freeze him from the slot.

Honestly I have no idea how ea fixes the goalies and makes them more realistic without them letting in a million goals..
Well,I find that cpu players can score whenever the main cpu wants them to score...it`s the human element where it gets tricky.

Lots of the time,lack of user scoring is due to user input.

How does the cpu choose between goal and save,or missed net/post....when the shooter is in perfect position for a scoring chance,yet the goalie is equally positioned perfectly and reacts perfectly?

Someone has to lose the 'roll of the dice',..unlike the real world,where the puck gives a pretty good indication of the end result.

I would guess it`s got some math and a random event generator of some type involved,....and that stuff isn`t my bag.
IMO,some of the 'scoring equations' need to be re-worked to better recreate reality. Not an easy task I`m guessing,and I`m glad I don`t have that job,cause we`d all be screwed.

You have to let goalies move and react how they can in the real world,if you move the puck around effectively the out of position goalie scoring chances will come when they come.....and then you have to get the scoring equations right for when you are in a stalemate situation...and the result could go either way.

Man,if a guy went top corner glove side on me 80 times out of a 100, from anywhere near prime scoring areas,.....I`d throw myself under the Zamboni,...cause I train 14-18 yr old female goalies that wouldn`t let in 20 out of a hundred.

They`re aint no pull back wrister glitch in the real world,.....and if I`m screened,....I still know it`s general location and I`m going to be making myself big and maybe be in a solid butterfly square to where I think the puck is coming from,......and a little luck to boot.Being screened isn`t a guarantee of a goal,.....becuase we stop most of them too. Skill and brains,the goalie`s biggest assets.When your brain knows what`s going to happen before it happens,that`s an edge,......and it`s something that top level goalies possess as a basic fundamental skill/gift.

Video hockey goalies,don`t yet have these human abilities,....so we`re dealing with the math again.

I`ll say again,if the goalies don`t move and reacting a realistic way,...then the math part is going to make the whole thing look and feel bogus for goalies,...which is what the tuners after v1.00 were doing.

In some ways the NHL11 slider settings are very touchy.I was lucky to be able to use lots of other peoples efforts to bring out some subtlties that I know lots of people are missing out on.Hitting power,...just the slightest bit too much with the wrong game flow and we`re missing out on seeing the subtle body contact,add what the tuners did to balance,agiltiy etc,and a bunch of stuff got lost in the mist........it even effected hoe the cpu AI plays. Game flow too slow,you don`t see some of the quick decision/reaction plays,.....to fast and you don`t have time to do anything,....to much hitting power and it`s big hits all the time,.....not enough and you don`t see the variety in the body contact again.

It`s a small miracle that the game even plays anything close to resembling hockey,......ahhhhh the wonders of technology.

It`s just a lot of trial and error,and trying to get the easy final tuning as good as possible using the tools that the developers allow us to use.
They did all the tough work getting us the game to the point where we do get the easy job of tuning sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
MVP

Trevelyan's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't really see any glitch goals this year, I think EA has done a great job of getting things out of the game like the wrap around and curve shot. I think some goals are just high danger shots for the goalie, and you'll see the computer show you all the time where not to let people shoot from.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan
I don't really see any glitch goals this year, I think EA has done a great job of getting things out of the game like the wrap around and curve shot. I think some goals are just high danger shots for the goalie, and you'll see the computer show you all the time where not to let people shoot from.
You don't play the game enough then, there's 2 from the high slot that work like the curve shot from that go in everytime and there is a deke combination that no goalie cannot save when 1 on 1 in close if done correctly with any player. Play EASHL and you will see them every other game...

Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I think one of the problems with goalies ( I saw problems lightly, these goalies are still worlds ahead of any goal tender or defense i've played in any other game) is that they are stuck with the basic animations, which can lead to problems, much like the poke check.
It's like having a sledge hammer to remodel your home.
It works in some situations, but it's a mess in others.
The goalies will execute some animations that you wouldn't see a goalie do in real life, that lead to goals. (I have had a lot of goals scored on me from right next to the net, because Halak did the Arms spread and slide animation even though he was already next to the post, which leaves a massive hole above his pad, and under his arm. Then there's the animation where they go to cover the puck. They lunge out, and try to go face down on the puck to cover it, but half the time they either push the puck out by hitting it, or worse still, miss the puck entirely with opposing team members sitting right there. Then since they are hunched over, there's no chance for a blocked shot, the team just scoops the puck up and roofs it.
I can't say i know an easy fix.
I can only imagine an even bigger animation library, or even a type of thing that's more specific as to where the goalie is, and how they are moving.
I have a few goals with open nets, where the goalie could have potentially slid across to stop it, but missed out because he did his desperation save animation, but instead of sliding, just sat in place with his arm and leg stretched into the net leaving 3 feet of open real estate.
Like i said, the goalies in the NHL series continue to get better, and this is really just more of a small frustration.
Definitely not deal breaking, just something i thought worth noting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »