Home

Has or will Operation Sports "ruin" NBA2K11?

This is a discussion on Has or will Operation Sports "ruin" NBA2K11? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Question Has or will Operation Sports "ruin" NBA2K11?

Just hear me out........

Begin Rant:

First and foremeost, let me start by saying that I absolutely love this site. I love NBA 2K11. I also love my wife. But just b/c you love something doesn't mean that it/they can't have negatives impacts on your life in certain instances.

I pose the question b/c I've been an avid reader at this website for a few years yet rarely post. I've gotten familiar enough with your screen names and posts that I have formed opinions on some of you (which is odd but so 21st century).

So I gotta say that I feel that certain things have gotten so outta control that it's beyond ridiculous. Games come out on schedule and within 72 hours, people are saying its broken, it's horrible, its the greatest game ever created, I don't like this or that. 3 days. How many games can you have possibly played in 72 hours to form a true opinion on a game? Would you marry someone you knew for 3 days? Would you change cities b/c you visited for 3 days? Hopefully not. Yet, we've got patch lists/requests/DEMANDS up within 72 hours. And I get that and that's cool. The internet allows everyone to speak and rightfully so - even though ALL shouldn't speak.

And herein lies the problem.

It's one thing when you have a situation like a NBA Elite 11 where the issues are so glaring and are a core context of the game that you cannot operate as one should normally or its such a departure from the norm that it's startling. But what happens on here is a lot of whining and complaining and ridiculous requests from everything from sock colors to THE SHADE OF PURPLE ON A JERSEY.

So why do I mention this?

B/C from what I can tell of this last roster update - 2K is listening.

And that scares me.

The biggest discovery that was made about NBA2K11 was that 3 specific game styles would be offered. We all know what they are. People were finally given options on how they wanted the game to play. If I want a closer to reality simulation style game, I could finally do that. And it was PERFECT. Real shooting percentages. More foul calls. Real scores. FINALLY!!!!!!!! A game that RESEMBLED (not cloned - it's a videogame, people) what COULD HAPPEN in a real life NBA setting.

Gameplay was changed across the board. Improvements made. The closest we've ever come to complete control of your player. True defensive rotations. Plays that got you shots.

But guess what happened....

Instead of taking, what - a week - to adjust to the game, learn the controls and adapt to the new surroundings, we make boisterous claims about it being to difficult, too much work and practically admitting that our egos are too large to simply just tailor the game to what we want.

In my opinion, 2K should've stood their ground and forced the people - us - to play the game THE WAY THEY INTENDED IT for 30 days. The season doesn't even start until the end of the month. It's not like we wouldn't have waited - we've done that before. The game scored a 9.5 as is so why cave to the whims of a few that can solve their issues through sliders and the like? Why not just add a lobby for each difficulty? No, instead they make change to the core gameplay via an official roster update so that way they appease the current screamers and awaken new ones. Fantastic - so like the elephants v the donkeys.

My brother just HAS to put the game on HOF difficulty. When I ask him why, he says he needs the challenge. Yet generally after 2 weeks of getting his head cracked or having to resort to parlor tricks to compete, he tweaks the sliders. So I always ask him this question - at what point are you tweaking the sliders to where it's not even HOF anymore? Why not just play it on Superstar?

This is the first year where he headed my advice and it's as if he got a new disc. Superstar Simulation is how WE play. That's OUR NBA experience.

But thanks to "our communities", now MY EXPERIENCE has been tainted from the original vision 2K gave us b/c others wouldn't simply do what should always be done - understand the game for what it is and set it up to the way YOU LIKE TO PLAY.

What's the point of having a simulation setting if now all that 2K is going to do is cater to the changing winds of the 2000 different opinions they're trying to satisfy on their and this website?

Sure I could just use the rosters stock or the previous update. But what about deals and trades and added players? So now I have to suffer on so many fronts b/c Joe Schmoo REFUSES to put the game on Pro/Default? That's preposterous.

Gaming has gotten so supersoft its disgusting. This is why Madden will never be the too in-depth simulation that we "claim" we want. B/C the minute you make a simulation based on the actual tendencies of the sport, you get threads like - Is NBA2K11 TOO SIM?

WOW.

Wow.

The bottom line is that no one wants to lose. Plain and simple. Everyone wants to feel like they can hang. Well this year 2K makes a game that shows you that you CAN'T HANG and instead of accepting the challenge, we push the game back to its former self.

But why am I surprised b/c this seems to be the New America.

Can't wait to see how much of 2K11 is made to become 2K10.

End of demo.

Last edited by dipset2050; 10-14-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Edited for grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Has or will Operation Sports "ruin" NBA2K11?

You know what...excellent post.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Nice rant. I agree.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

Just had to interrupt my project here at work to commend on you on this post....

I think 2K11 has exposed many for not being as dedicated to the sim nation as they thought they were. Instead of readily admitting that, most are resorting to rant/gripes/grievance type threads. This game is not for the faint of heart, nor is it pick up and play. The learning curve is steep with how deep the game and controls are, yet many are seeking potential game killing patches instead of getting better through in-game action and practice mode.

[XLSL SIX NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SIV NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SVI NBA 2K12 Champion]

[SCH SI NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIV NBA 2K16 Champion]

[SCH SV NBA 2K18 Champion]
Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

dipset2050....... What a post! 2k listens..alot. We should be very careful what we claim to say needs fixing because of that fact...
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 10-14-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Rookie

staffan's Arena

OVR: 6

Good post!

It is really scary if they try to please the few who complains via OS or other forums when the rest of the gamers/players are content and busy playing the game.

But, maybe we shall use more than 3 days to evaluate the new "patch"

I only tried it for one game and I did not like it.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Rookie

staffan's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
Just had to interrupt my project here at work to commend on you on this post....

I think 2K11 has exposed many for not being as dedicated to the sim nation as they thought they were. Instead of readily admitting that, most are resorting to rant/gripes/grievance type threads. This game is not for the faint of heart, nor is it pick up and play. The learning curve is steep with how deep the game and controls are, yet many are seeking potential game killing patches instead of getting better through in-game action and practice mode.
Yes, but what I do not understand is why people donīt play on casual if the game
is too difficult/complicated/sim.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I mostly come on here to read what everyone says and get tips and what not but I had to comment and say that you've nailed this one right on the head.

NICE JOB MAN!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »