Home

The Holy Trinity of Hitting Options

This is a discussion on The Holy Trinity of Hitting Options within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Hitting Styles - Three Options Explained

I see several threads floating around about all of the different options for hitting in MLB 11 The Show and it's starting to scramble my brain.

In the hopes of condensing and simplifying the three main options I've broken it down in my own view in the following way and hopefully this helps a lot of you decide what is best for you:

1. Analog hitting

Use the right stick to pull back to load the swing (do this just prior to the pitcher releasing the ball) and then move the right stick upwards and in the general direction of the horizontal location of the pitch location. Preload the type of swing you want by pushing "O" for contact, "X" for normal, or "[]" for power.

This requires a lot of movement and precision from your thumb in a short amount of time. It's difficult to move the stick up and towards the inside or outside corner.

This method of hitting places the batter's eye (PCI) on the ball based on your stick skills and on the attributes of the batter.

I would sum this option up as a "fun" way of playing baseball. It's something I will use in exhibition or online. I'll definitely use this in homerun derby.

2. Zone hitting

This requires you to move the left analog stick so that the batter's eye (PCI) is covering the location where the ball will cross the hitting zone. You also then must push a button "O" for contact, "X" for normal, "[]" for Power to execute the swing.

This is a challenging method of hitting in the game because of the number of actions required to hit the ball solidly. This factors in the attributes of the player, but this method can actually use your stick skills (placing the PCI) to improve/override the attributes of the batter.

For example, if you have a below-average hitter, his attributes may not allow him to make solid contact on a given pitch. However, if you are crafty enough with the left stick, you can place the PCI on the pitch location and improve the chance of solid contact.

This is something I would use if I'm playing with a team or players that aren't that great and I need results that are above what their attributes allow. For sim results, this isn't the way to go. Keep in mind this requires you to be very good at zone hitting. If you can't get the left stick in the right place, you're potentially hurting the batter as well. But the potential is there to inflate the results.

Perhaps this is an option for RTTS players. If your player isn't that great yet, control his PCI and get better contact more often. But, I don't want results beyond sim in my franchise so this batting option is out.

3. Timing hitting

The third and final option is the most simple of the three. Push "O", "X", or "[]" for the desired swing type. All you are required to do as a gamer is get the timing right. If the timing is right, then the batter's attributes kick in.

This is the best way to get sim results. The PCI is placed automatically based on your timing and the players skill. You can't move the batter's eye (PCI) artificially. This lets the players be who they are and you're only able to max their potential, not make them better than reality.

This method may not be as "fun" as analog, or as "challenging" as zone, but for effectiveness and sim-like results, this is the way to go.

Timing hitting is what I will use, and recommend, for my franchise for the sake of realism and consistency. I can't make the players any better than they really are, yet pushing a button at the right time is simple enough that I shouldn't screw up their production too much either.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-10-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: The Holy Trinity of Hitting Options

Good post jmik, a nice little primer. As an OG sports video gamer (read: 44 yr old with lessened stick skills), I can see me sticking with the Timing method.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

Your brain is scrambled because there is a lot of bad info out there.

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?t=4603

The game is different. Hitting consistently on any of the three isn't possible.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedoRick

Oh really? I having a pretty easy time hitting with Analog on HOF difficulty.

What does that make me..? I must be like Neo of The Show matrix.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey

Oh really? I having a pretty easy time hitting with Analog on HOF difficulty.

What does that make me..? I must be like Neo of The Show matrix.
I know it must sound crazy man but a whole bunch of people myself included (biggest MLB The Show fanboy out there) and guys I work with, along with a bunch of guys on Theshownation.com are saying the same thing i am. We cannot hit no matter what we do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Nice simple and streamlined post on them.

Love the title too!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedoRick

We get you're frustrated but you need to chill with spamming every single hitting thread with it.

You have your thread talking about your issues, please keep them there.

Thank you

OP, I completely agree with #3, as that's what I use.

Strategy over skillz

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

good post jmik58, I agree 100%, loving the game!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »