Home

Fashion / Style advice thread

This is a discussion on Fashion / Style advice thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27
Fashion / Style advice thread

BEFORE WE START:Please don't try to knock anyone else's style in this thread. What works for you others may think looks ridiculous and vice versa so try to keep criticism's constructive. If you have no interest in fashion etc that's fine but it too keep to yourself and don't ruin the thread.

I figured I'd make a thread where we could share idea's on what looks good and what doesn't, any great sales or bargains you see and generally asking for advice.

I know this is could probably be seen as a fairly 'female' thread to make but I think it can't hurt trying to look our best and if we can save each other some money in the process then why not? I know clothes don't really make the man but at the end of the day as the old saying goes you only have one chance at a first impression.

I'll kick us off. I just bought these off amazon:

I paid $70 for them and have seen them on other sites for $100-$110 so I think the price was good.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TUZNCA/...=operasport-20

Would you guys wear these with jeans or only something my formal like khaki's or dress pant's?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

Re: Fashion / Style advice thread

Also what do you guys think of cuffing jeans like this:

I see it more and more and have never done it myself. Do you think it look cool or lame?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Pro

khaled's Arena

OVR: 10
I don't think it looks good.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I never was into cuffing jeans like that. I rather cuff them the other way where as you can't see that it is cuffed. Far as fashion......I grew up rather strict, so most of my up bringing was wearing dress clothes 24/7.

Definitely a shirt and tie guy. Those dress shoes look nice. I need add more to my collection, one day I will to surpass my dad, who currently has 200 pairs of dress shoes in every color and material that ever existed.

I like every color except pink and salmon. But for me, dark colors is my favorite. I like the dark reds, dark blues, black, dark purple, dark green, dark brown. Bright colors just don't work on me.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Jeans got cuffed in the first place out of necessity...

Parents would buy the next size up, so the kid got extra wear by cuffing until the growth spurt came and the cuffs came down...

Another reason was "custom fitting" hand me downs / second hand pairs...

Since they have no actual function on a fully grown adult, they are superfluous, so by MY definition, that alone renders them unnecessary / unwearable...

I'm also not a fan of other popular "extras" like epaulets on jackets...unless you use them for their original purpose (a place to keep a pair of gloves) they serve no function...

As a middle aged guy, I make a point of not dressing too youthfully, too trendy, too big, too small, logos, "extras" (functionless zippers / pockets / epaulets), etc...

So:

I have a nice pair of those wingtips you showed...

I LOVE dessert boots and have at least a half dozen pairs...

But, I ain't wearing no cuffed jeans...

As ridiculous as it may seem, I'd feel like Opie from "The Andy Griffith Show" in a pair of those...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

I wouldn't wear wingtips with jeans. Actually, let me clarify that, anything laced and polished I keep away from jeans. I would wear some wingtips like this with jeans though.

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Madden-M...=operasport-20

Usually when I want to dress up my jeans I choose a slip-on like this.http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Madden-C...=operasport-20

Can you tell I'm a fan of Steve Madden? I've never bought a pair that wasn't comfortable.

As far as Pant cuffing? Not me, never. I'll buy dress pants with a sewn cuff but I wont' be cuffing my jeans that's for sure.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

Good stuff fella's. Yeah I've never cuffed my jeans either but I have seen it a bit more lately. I usually get mine tailored to make sure they fit perfectly length wise. I'm 32 so i generally tend to try to dress more 'mature' but still go tto keep an eye on what the 'youngins' are wearing.

I have a pair of black slip on's like those above but I am going away from square toed shoes these days for some reason. No idea why I own a few pairs but now I'm going for more of the pointed toe and things like wing tips etc.

Holy crap GMSS that's a lot of shoes! Are you the same size as your dad? Would be like an awesome shoe library.

What do you guys think about gold watches? I was given a nice Seiko 18ct gold watch for my 25th birthday but have never really worn it because I think it looks a bit too 'flashy'.

Would you guys wear this?

I thought maybe I should save it to wear with business attire but it's probably to dressy up to wear with casual clothes?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I can't cut my jeans, 38x38's (they don't make 38x40's) would be way too short if I cuffed them. I remember cuffing jeans was cool in the late 80's and 90's but thought it went out of style. I was surprised to see a lot of younger kids (mostly in NYC) cuffing their jeans these days.

My style is very simple/classic, never anything flashy.

Jeans, button down shirts with rolled up sleeves, solid-colored polos, dress shoes, etc. I usually wear brown dress shoes with jeans but mix it up and wear black ones every now and again.

I guess I dress like a boring grown up.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »