Home

What determines your PCI with timing hitting?

This is a discussion on What determines your PCI with timing hitting? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What determines your PCI with timing hitting?

Often times when I'm using timing hitting on All-star I will have great timing on a swing but my PCI will be at the top or bottom of the zone when the pitch was a fastball down the middle with no movement. Even with players like Matt Kemp it seems to miss the ball by quite a bit sometimes, much more than I would miss if I were using zone. I like timing because everyone says it gets the closest to sim stats as possible but it's frustrating to miss meatballs because the PCI is completely off.

So because of this I was wondering specifically what stats affect your player's targeting with the PCI? I'm assuming Contact and plate vision, anything else? Plate discipline?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: What determines your PCI with timing hitting?

Was it the first pitch? I find the pci is better deeper in to the count. Or it could just be one of those frustrating random things in the game.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Rookie

RunningTheNight's Arena

OVR: 6
I'd say it's determined by a 30/70 ratio of vision of the batter, and randomness. That's just my guess, though.

PSN: RunningTheNight
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Pro

JG1986's Arena

OVR: 5

Have this same problem. It aggravates me so much. I can see on a touch pitch. But for me, a lot of the times, it is on a 3-2 pitch where the pitcher throws a fastball middle up or middle down and the bat just doesn't near the ball.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Timing hitting is based on the hitter's attributes, as well as the user's "influence". For example, if you are batting with Kemp and get a hanging curveball and you swing with perfect timing and still miss - chances are Kemp was looking fastball up in the zone - resulting you missing or having weak contact even though you had a perfectly timed swing.

I am a big fan of timing hitting for this reason. It isn't based solely on my ability (or lack thereof), but also the hitter's attributes as well. There is no way a guy like Mark Reynolds will win the batting title because he never hits for a high BA IRL, but it isn't impossible for him to lead the league in homers as he has the power and with some help from the user, could certainly hit a bunch of homers while batting around .240. This is all assuming that the user isn't consistently chasing pitches out of the strike zone and striking out a lot. Even a guy with a high batting average IRL can't hit pitches in the dirt or pitches over his head very often (this is where the user's ability kicks in)

At least this is my understanding of timing hitting. Maybe some more experienced OS'ers can elaborate a bit more. Hope this helps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinB
Timing hitting is based on the hitter's attributes, as well as the user's "influence". For example, if you are batting with Kemp and get a hanging curveball and you swing with perfect timing and still miss - chances are Kemp was looking fastball up in the zone - resulting you missing or having weak contact even though you had a perfectly timed swing.

I am a big fan of timing hitting for this reason. It isn't based solely on my ability (or lack thereof), but also the hitter's attributes as well. There is no way a guy like Mark Reynolds will win the batting title because he never hits for a high BA IRL, but it isn't impossible for him to lead the league in homers as he has the power and with some help from the user, could certainly hit a bunch of homers while batting around .240. This is all assuming that the user isn't consistently chasing pitches out of the strike zone and striking out a lot. Even a guy with a high batting average IRL can't hit pitches in the dirt or pitches over his head very often (this is where the user's ability kicks in)

At least this is my understanding of timing hitting. Maybe some more experienced OS'ers can elaborate a bit more. Hope this helps
Totally agree. However, my issue with the way timing is implemented is that the PCI targeting doesn't seem to get any better for a user-controlled hitter with contact and vision in the 90s than for a hitter with those ratings in the 50s.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffin
Totally agree. However, my issue with the way timing is implemented is that the PCI targeting doesn't seem to get any better for a user-controlled hitter with contact and vision in the 90s than for a hitter with those ratings in the 50s.
Do your higher rated players have better stats for the most part?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffin
Don't quite remember who said it, swear it was one of the devs though, but the location of PCI takes into consideration the frequency of how often you have seen the particular pitch in the specific location. For example, if the pitcher hangs a curve but it's the first one the batter has seen, chances are you won't square it up. Like a previous poster said, the deeper you get into the game, the more accurate the PCI becomes. That is why it is important to only look for certain pitches early in the game since there is an adverse effect to being too aggressive too early: Quick outs rapidly boost the CPU pitcher's confidence, and we all know what that does to us timing hitting users.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »