Home

A Guide for changing Player Potentials within Franchise.

This is a discussion on A Guide for changing Player Potentials within Franchise. within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Rookie

jnavarro's Arena

OVR: 2
A Guide for changing Player Potentials within Franchise.

I've made these discoveries and posted them in other threads, so here is a summary. Many will see this as cheating. I'll make no judgement on that. Use this at your own discretion.

Occasionally you get an email that says a player's "Stock is Rising" or he is "Overachieving". This means his potential went up. If a player is near a potential benchmark, he can actually go up in potential. Basically if he is B+ he might become an A. You can see this by sorting by potential in Roster Management to see how your guys stack up. They can also lose potential by getting a "Starting to Struggle" email.

Here is how to manipulate that. Those emails start in mid May, perhaps the second week or so. They tend to happen to players on hot or cold streaks (the flame icons next to the player). Here is the big kicker...they happen only on Wednesdays and they can happen on any Wednesday. This means you can sim every Wednesday on your franchise season until you get the email you want about the player you want. Think your guy is overrated? Knock him down this way. Underrated? Drive him up.

Some rules here: You only seem to be able to get one email about any player a year, so no taking your "D" prospects into "A" status. You can get a low B guy to low A in a few years though. This also works on Wednesdays during the playoffs, but I'm not sure if your team has to be in the playoffs or not.

Here is another loophole to help. When a player gets on a streak, demote him to your Class A team. They don't actually play games at that level, so that hot streak he is on will never end. He stays hot all season, increasing the odds that he gets a potential email. This works really well in September when minor league games are over and these guys are some of your only players who stay on a hot or cold streak.

As you can see, you can really reshape your roster in a just a couple of seasons if you are patient with this. Again, I'll leave it to you to decide whether this is ok to do. It will allow some course corrects on OSFM potentials that you might not have agreed with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: A Guide for changing Player Potentials within Franchise.

I have a few things I want to add.

I'm doing a test with all 30 teams just to see how many of these emails come up and so far in the first year from May9 (second Wednesday of May in 2012) through June 6 (5 weeks), 27 players have either gone up or down.

This is the current breakdown:

May 9 - 1 (1 Down)
May 16 - 10 (5 Up, 5 Down)
May 23 - 3 (3 Up)
May 30 - 7 (2 Up, 5 Down)
June 6 - 6 (5 Up, 1 Down)

It does depend on current hot or cold streaks, but it's completely random with who gets these "potential re-evaluations". Also, I've noticed that the potential point gain is also random, ranging from 1 to maybe around 3 or 4 points (as I've seen some players with similar B+ levels end up at different A levels, some end up just at A-, while others end up a bit higher and so on.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Pro

Neolithic's Arena

OVR: 6

I have a quick question:

How does one go about determining the "low" and "high" level of A, B, C, etc. I've been playing this game a loooooong time, and I'm probably just ignorant.

Or it's because I also play OOTP like it's a religion (which it is, all hail OOTP!!!) and just can't turn OOTP brain off, and turn on MLB 12 brain. :P
Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithic
I have a quick question:

How does one go about determining the "low" and "high" level of A, B, C, etc. I've been playing this game a loooooong time, and I'm probably just ignorant.

Or it's because I also play OOTP like it's a religion (which it is, all hail OOTP!!!) and just can't turn OOTP brain off, and turn on MLB 12 brain. :P
If you sort by potential the highest B's will be right under the A's
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Pro

Neolithic's Arena

Cool, much thanks! I wasn't sure if it was sorting those based on some underlying number, or not. Now I know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithic
Cool, much thanks! I wasn't sure if it was sorting those based on some underlying number, or not. Now I know.
Yes, and after it's done sorting by potential, it sorts out similar potential-level players by overall rating.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

OVR: 1

add this to your data as well because it has happened to me twice now. Both times and I had "B" rated player go on the 60 day DL while being on a hot sterak and both times I got "the Email" and then they became "A"
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsareBugs
I have a few things I want to add.

I'm doing a test with all 30 teams just to see how many of these emails come up and so far in the first year from May9 (second Wednesday of May in 2012) through June 6 (5 weeks), 27 players have either gone up or down.

This is the current breakdown:

May 9 - 1 (1 Down)
May 16 - 10 (5 Up, 5 Down)
May 23 - 3 (3 Up)
May 30 - 7 (2 Up, 5 Down)
June 6 - 6 (5 Up, 1 Down)

It does depend on current hot or cold streaks, but it's completely random with who gets these "potential re-evaluations". Also, I've noticed that the potential point gain is also random, ranging from 1 to maybe around 3 or 4 points (as I've seen some players with similar B+ levels end up at different A levels, some end up just at A-, while others end up a bit higher and so on.
Where do you find the 'potential point gains'? I understand in the manage roster screen when players attributes progress, but I don't remember seeing how many numbers a player moves up in potential anywhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »