Home

Deferring to 2nd Half

This is a discussion on Deferring to 2nd Half within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17
Deferring to 2nd Half

Why hasn't this ever been in the game before? I know they allow you to choose which goal to defend, then the other guy gets his choice to kick or receive the 1st half, but the game then never gives you a choice for the 2nd half. I know it's kinda pointless to use...But, when you defer, the other guy could mess up and choose to accidentally kickoff the 1st half, so then you get choice 2nd half and could choose to receive 2nd half. As a result, you would get the ball both halves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Rookie

Brutal_Package's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Deferring to 2nd Half

Are we playing the same game? Whoever wins the toss gets to choose whether to Kick or Receive. If you kick, you obviously get the ball to start the 2nd half. It's impossible for a team to get the ball at the start of both halves.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

Actually a team could choose to defer to the second half, and then decide to kick it then. What happens more often in real life though is that an inexperienced captain will tell the referee he wants to 'Kick' instead of 'defer' in which case the other team gets to choose in the second half and they'll get the ball both times.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Rookie

Brutal_Package's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes, but not in this game. Adding the option to defer in this game would be kinda meaningless.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

I agree, just thought it was a interesting bit of football trivia.

Edit: actually it happened recently. http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2012...oss-confusion/

Last edited by fballturkey; 11-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal_Package
Are we playing the same game? Whoever wins the toss gets to choose whether to Kick or Receive. If you kick, you obviously get the ball to start the 2nd half. It's impossible for a team to get the ball at the start of both halves.
OP, this right here is the answer to your question. I'm sure that a LOT of EA's fan base doesn't know much about football and stuff like this would just confuse them.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Banned

Hutton's Arena

OVR: 6

Defering to the 2nd half means that the team that won the coin toss chooses to take what they want for the start of the 2nd half (the ball), making the next choice go to the opponent, who then chooses to take the ball the 1st half (otherwise the coin toss winner would get the ball to start both halfs). What this means is the coin toss winner (who originally picked to defer) now gets to choose which goal to defend (they get the wind in their favor AND the ball in the 2nd half).

EA has it completely wrong, no team EVER chooses to kick, because then opponent would the choose to receive in the 2nd half. You either "Receive" or "Defer". EA has had this incorrect for ages and is too dumb to correct it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutton
Defering to the 2nd half means that the team that won the coin toss chooses to take what they want for the start of the 2nd half (the ball), making the next choice go to the opponent, who then chooses to take the ball the 1st half (otherwise the coin toss winner would get the ball to start both halfs). What this means is the coin toss winner (who originally picked to defer) now gets to choose which goal to defend (they get the wind in their favor AND the ball in the 2nd half).

EA has it completely wrong, no team EVER chooses to kick, because then opponent would the choose to receive in the 2nd half. You either "Receive" or "Defer". EA has had this incorrect for ages and is too dumb to correct it.
It's like I said. I guarantee you that this would confuse casual fans (easily the majority of EA's fan base). Hell, just look at how many times someone has asked on OS (which is mainly made up of non-casual fans) why the clock keeps running when the runner goes out of bounds (with more than 2 minutes left).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »