Home

Playbook Problems

This is a discussion on Playbook Problems within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

OVR: 2
Playbook Problems

I am having major issues on the xbox one version with the unpredictability of the playcall menu in-game as it seems to have no connection at all to the playbook that is assigned to that team. Details below.

Any edits and changes made to playbooks do not carry over in full into scrimmage/quick game/my gm games. They appear perfectly in the pause menu when looking at the playbook and play assignment, but are not at all represented in the on-court playcall menu.

Also, I am getting a different playbook in-game then is listed in the playbook menu even when playing with official 2k roster. it is super random and is severely hampering my enjoyment of the game to this point.

In fact, in mygm with the warriors, i am getting different in-game playcall menus from game-to-game, it all seems very random and is becoming impossible to get any rhythm or continuity at all offensively.

i'm hoping this can/will be patched soon as it is taking away greatly from otherwise solid (but far from perfect) sim gameplay out of the box.

if anyone else is having problems with this, please post here and maybe we can raise some awareness for this particular issue that currently exists.

- Ricky Rubio quoting Magic Johnson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Playbook Problems

This is a fairly well-documented problem. I've heard that no matter which team or playbook you pick, it always defaults to the 76ers playbook, even though the pause menu says otherwise. When I tested the playbooks in scrimmage it always gave the home team Toronto's playbook and the away team Portland's playbook.

So in short, all playbooks are broken. If you want to test to see which playbook it defaults to so you can change that one to match what you would like, I would suggest picking any player on your team and change his play type to just one type, probably Isolation for ease. Bring up his call menu in the game to look at his plays (scrimmage is probably best because there is no shot clock). It's actually easier than it sounds to go through each team's playbook real fast and see which team's Iso calls match exactly what you saw in the game.

It's very disappointing, but at least it's an option. Personally, I decided to not mess with the play books. I just turn full art on for all play calls and either run what comes up first or smart play. If I don't like the call I will break it off and try to set up my best PnR combo and play from there.

On a positive note, with full play art on I've discovered that in the secondary break, it will automatically call a either a single or double drag for the ballhandler if you want to use it. It works quite well and almost perfectly replicates the most common play in the NBA. I'm very happy about this development.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

This Thread can't die.

The PLAYBOOK problem is real and total mess.

First, assigned ONLINE playbooks are NOT similar to those assigned OFFLINE playbooks.

Second, there is no place to practice those random ONLINE playbooks. Big flaw!!!!

Let us practice those assigned ONLINE Playbooks!!! we want to use them ONLINE and we don't want to practice them in a real Online Quick Match. We want to practice them BEFORE a game!!!! Basic
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3

This has to be fixed. Without playbooks working properly the game is like NBA JAM
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by enserio
This Thread can't die.

The PLAYBOOK problem is real and total mess.

First, assigned ONLINE playbooks are NOT similar to those assigned OFFLINE playbooks.

Second, there is no place to practice those random ONLINE playbooks. Big flaw!!!!

Let us practice those assigned ONLINE Playbooks!!! we want to use them ONLINE and we don't want to practice them in a real Online Quick Match. We want to practice them BEFORE a game!!!! Basic
The playbook situation is still indeed not working, and I agree that this is a huge issue that is detracting from the experience of the game greatly at this point in time.

That being said, all we can hope for is (and all that we're really asking for) is for the playbooks in-game to be the same as those that are assigned to a specific. So in short, we just want them to work as 2k designed them to and as they work on the current gen version.

It is important to note that since the playbooks are a part of the roster file, they will likely be fixed in a roster update rather than a patch.

As for the inability to practice plays, I think we have to deal with the fact there is no practice plays in the game this year. We can really take advantage of the ability to record game clips easily and use the DVR or twitch functionality to look at the plays we like to run and understand their options and then use scrimmage to get our reps in.

So, in short, lets just try to be patient (which we can do because we've seen it work in the current gen exactly as we want it to) and hope that either the roster update coming up this week and/or patch 2 coming this week will address this fairly significant blemish on the game.

- Ricky Rubio quoting Magic Johnson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattnanga
The playbook situation is still indeed not working, and I agree that this is a huge issue that is detracting from the experience of the game greatly at this point in time.

That being said, all we can hope for is (and all that we're really asking for) is for the playbooks in-game to be the same as those that are assigned to a specific. So in short, we just want them to work as 2k designed them to and as they work on the current gen version.

It is important to note that since the playbooks are a part of the roster file, they will likely be fixed in a roster update rather than a patch.

As for the inability to practice plays, I think we have to deal with the fact there is no practice plays in the game this year. We can really take advantage of the ability to record game clips easily and use the DVR or twitch functionality to look at the plays we like to run and understand their options and then use scrimmage to get our reps in.

So, in short, lets just try to be patient (which we can do because we've seen it work in the current gen exactly as we want it to) and hope that either the roster update coming up this week and/or patch 2 coming this week will address this fairly significant blemish on the game.
100% agreed. Such Playbook problem is killing the SIM experience big time for Online Quick Matches.

Please 2ksports, fix that glitch in the next roster update or patch ASAP !!!. This is a basic feature that MUST be addressed quickly and properly.

Right now, playbooks ONLINE are useless!. We wanna learn them, practice 'em (at least in scrimmage) before entering into a Online Quick Match. All team playbooks (and their exact order) must be similar for Offline and Online Matches.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Rookie

I'd like to keep this thread from going away, as well. I'd really like to see some kind of acknowledgement from one of the 2k board perusers that they are aware that this is indeed a problem.

I've learned to get past a lot of the issues with this game in terms of the lack of customization and features, and really focus on, and enjoy, the way that this game plays and feels. But having had CG for a little over a month, I had gotten a good amount of playbooks overhauled, and the effect on the game was so great. With that one tweak to NG, I think I can really enjoy this game for another 11 months, no problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

I'm glad someone made a topic about this. I thought I was going nuts at first when I started noticing alot of teams were running the same exact two or 3 plays all game and where playing very much alike no matter who the team was. If this is true this is a major issue, cause it does seem like the teams are not using alot of different plays in there playbooks. 2K this kills the SIM aspect of the game...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »