Home

Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship

This is a discussion on Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship

I already know I'm probably beating a dead horse that has existed since the beginning of online gaming, but I've been seeing it more and more lately and I feel the need to rant.

First off, I'd like to say that I am no way an expert nor a saint, however, when I play online, (and even locally with my boys) I try to follow a code of conduct of sorts. My unwritten rules, in no particular order are:

Absolutely no Heat or Thunder
No spamming any one player
No (or very, very little) full court inbound pass stealing or charge drawing
No making the screen shake when my opponent is shooting free throws

With that being said, it seems as everyone I play online breaks almost every single one of these "rules." Yes, I get it. All those aspects are technically part of the game, and thus, fair game. But it drives me crazy!

What's worse, is that most of these players have poor records, and insist on talking trash the whole time - atleast until I start running up the score.

I understand it is easy to ignore a trash talker, and even easier to stop a guy who's only offence is driving with LeBron, but just for once, I'd like to play an even, online match against teams like the Hawks, Suns or Raptors.

Obviously there is zero way to avoid this, other than continuing to back out of matches until a suitable one is found. But what are your opinions? Are you tired of this as well? Do you use the Heat exclusively? If so, what's your motivation?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Online Cheesing/Poor Sportsmanship

Nothing you can do. When you get a good match with someone, add them as a friend and try to play a bunch of friendlies. As long as you're playing randoms, you're going to run into these people. As frustrating as it is, they paid money for their game too, and have every right to play however they want.

Now, I will admit, I only use the Thunder when playing online. But, they're my team. I grew up 10 mins outside OKC, and hardly ever miss a game on TV. I played exclusively with the Thunder back on 2K9 when we were the worst team in the game, and got to suffer through numerous beatings at the hands of the LA Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers. Didn't matter though. I want to use my team.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

As much as it would be nice if everyone was a good sport or follow certain rules that as an opponent we would like to see followed I wouldn't worry about it.

Just control what you can control which is to be a good sport on your side win or lose and play the way you feel is right and don't worry about any action the other player does or doesn't do. Problems arise when you expect someone to do something they didn't know you expected.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-22-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Sports games really need to create a "team filter" option similar to what multiplayer shooters do with their "map filter" option.

In Battlefield 4, for example, you can disable maps you don't like from showing up whenever you're searching for a game.

In NBA 2K14, I would love to disable teams like the Heat and Thunder from showing up whenever the matchmaking is searching for a game.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeeezy
I already know I'm probably beating a dead horse that has existed since the beginning of online gaming, but I've been seeing it more and more lately and I feel the need to rant.

First off, I'd like to say that I am no way an expert nor a saint, however, when I play online, (and even locally with my boys) I try to follow a code of conduct of sorts. My unwritten rules, in no particular order are:

Absolutely no Heat or Thunder
No spamming any one player
No (or very, very little) full court inbound pass stealing or charge drawing
No making the screen shake when my opponent is shooting free throws

With that being said, it seems as everyone I play online breaks almost every single one of these "rules." Yes, I get it. All those aspects are technically part of the game, and thus, fair game. But it drives me crazy!

What's worse, is that most of these players have poor records, and insist on talking trash the whole time - atleast until I start running up the score.

I understand it is easy to ignore a trash talker, and even easier to stop a guy who's only offence is driving with LeBron, but just for once, I'd like to play an even, online match against teams like the Hawks, Suns or Raptors.

Obviously there is zero way to avoid this, other than continuing to back out of matches until a suitable one is found. But what are your opinions? Are you tired of this as well? Do you use the Heat exclusively? If so, what's your motivation?
I was about to stop reading at the no Heat or Thunder rule. But I thought that was so funny, I'll keep reading and hope to find something else funny.

Your first mistake is expecting some type of code of conduct from rank matches. EVERYONE and their mama know rank players are the absolute worst players in the world.

Calling them out for violating your code of conduct is like calling double dribble on a special needs kid. You gotta just let some things slide. They don't know any better, they're here for fun. Could be a kid or a man who only gets to play in his spare time.

But I will say your first rule is a joke. Says a lot about you. And the fact you take online rank matches seriously. I do agree with the no shaking the screen during a free throw rule though.

If you're seriously going to have your own code of conduct rules, they should be about things that exploit the game flaws. Not style of play. And especially not what team they pick.

My advice would be only play like minded players like yourself. And stay away from rank matches if you can't take the cheap style of play online offers.

Last edited by smuhead; 02-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Rookie

A couple of good points.

I understand the "home team" approach that might lead one to picking one of the aforementioned team. However, although it irks me, it is less about the team chosen, and more the play style. There is a big difference between picking, say the Heat, because you're a Ray Allen fan, and making a conscious effort to go to LeBron every time down the floor, taking 30-40 shots a game.

I like to idea of a team filter. Seems like a reasonable and realistic addition that could be added.

As for your comments smuhead, at first read, your comments came off as malicious and unneeded. However, after a second read, I do see a couple quality points - the problem of having an opinionated discussion over text, I suppose.

I do agree I must be more mindful of who I might be playing. You are also correct in saying I cannot expect someone to adhere to "my way" of playing. However, I do believe *most* 2K gamers are aware of he dominance KD/LeBron possess. In addition, they are surely aware of what they're doing when trying to steal the ball or draw charges 94 fees away from the basket. Even worse, they quit after they are down.

Regardless, I think a common theme of everyone's post here is simple: deal with or don't play.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeeezy
A couple of good points.

I understand the "home team" approach that might lead one to picking one of the aforementioned team. However, although it irks me, it is less about the team chosen, and more the play style. There is a big difference between picking, say the Heat, because you're a Ray Allen fan, and making a conscious effort to go to LeBron every time down the floor, taking 30-40 shots a game.

I like to idea of a team filter. Seems like a reasonable and realistic addition that could be added.

As for your comments smuhead, at first read, your comments came off as malicious and unneeded. However, after a second read, I do see a couple quality points - the problem of having an opinionated discussion over text, I suppose.

I do agree I must be more mindful of who I might be playing. You are also correct in saying I cannot expect someone to adhere to "my way" of playing. However, I do believe *most* 2K gamers are aware of he dominance KD/LeBron possess. In addition, they are surely aware of what they're doing when trying to steal the ball or draw charges 94 fees away from the basket. Even worse, they quit after they are down.

Regardless, I think a common theme of everyone's post here is simple: deal with or don't play.
I'm sorry Yeezy, I didn't mean to come off like a jerk. My tone of voice would have made my message sound a bit different.

Just really shocked in amusement at the no Thunder/Heat rule. Thinking, people still think like this? Also thought it was funny people are intimidated by these teams.
I do agree to a certain extent that LeBron and Durant dominate in a way only a game would allow. But we are talking arguably the No. 1 and 2 in the game. And it shouldn't be any other way. This shouldn't stop anyone from taking on this challenge. I know I haven't.

I stopped them in some games, contained them in others, and completely got destroyed by them. But no matter the results, I lived with it. And in the process became a better defender. I never quit or not wanted to play someone because they have the Heat. (And because they do tend to be sorry and obivously you use the best teams for a reason).

Why do you think shaking the screen apart your code of conduct guidelines?

Last edited by smuhead; 02-22-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
MVP

I would agree with most of your rules expect the about shaking the screen. Why this? In my experience shaking the screen does nothing whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »