Home

wingbacks/3 at the back

This is a discussion on wingbacks/3 at the back within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15
wingbacks/3 at the back

I'm just wondering who/how many of you use wingback formations in this game? I have tried a few times, but when I do my wingbacks and center backs are always out of position.

For example I had just taken over the Netherlands national side and I was trying to emulate what they're currently doing at the world cup. However my wingbacks defensively were always playing inside the LCB and RCB.

I tried adjusting my team width on my team tactics and I tried using the arrows on the edit formation. I generally like the idea of using a wingback formation, does anyone have any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Pro

doyce7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: wingbacks/3 at the back

I like using wingback formations. The biggest thing I find is having 2 faster CBs and 1 big strong brute. It seems like in that formation the outside CBs seem to think they are really fullbacks. I have never been able to get them to stop doing that so I just get faster CBs to play R/LCB. Also helps if your wingbacks are a little stronger than you would find in typical wingers.

Takes a little getting use to using the formations corectly. Just out of sheer curiosity, which wingback formation are you using? My favorite is the 5-4-1 diamond since I love to play wide and cut in. Offers tons of space for my wingers to score.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyce7
I like using wingback formations. The biggest thing I find is having 2 faster CBs and 1 big strong brute. It seems like in that formation the outside CBs seem to think they are really fullbacks. I have never been able to get them to stop doing that so I just get faster CBs to play R/LCB. Also helps if your wingbacks are a little stronger than you would find in typical wingers.

Takes a little getting use to using the formations corectly. Just out of sheer curiosity, which wingback formation are you using? My favorite is the 5-4-1 diamond since I love to play wide and cut in. Offers tons of space for my wingers to score.
i was trying 5-3-2/3-5-2

Which reminds me, what is the difference between using a player in a wingback position vs a wide midfield position? If I put a midfielder with an arrow to track back how does that differ from a wingback?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Pro

doyce7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsball899
i was trying 5-3-2/3-5-2

Which reminds me, what is the difference between using a player in a wingback position vs a wide midfield position? If I put a midfielder with an arrow to track back how does that differ from a wingback?
There's not a great deal of difference. I usually have offensive minded fullbacks play wingback but if you had a winger or LM/RM that could handle defense than its the same thing. The formation I use a lot has wingbacks and wingers so they both do a lot of attack and defend.
Only problem is the midfield is lacking when I'm defending.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

I switched to a 5-2-3 after my team (Exeter City) was having major Starting XI scoring trouble. This got best ST sub in, allowed my always wanting to attack FBs run up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
MVP

I use a 5-4-1 flat (2 CDMs instead of CMs) and love it. I used the "player positioning" arrows on my wing backs pointing forward and back so that they know their job is to push up high but also come back as soon as we lose the ball. I get what you're saying about the wing backs coming in to center back positions, I hate that too, but I don't get that as often. It depends on the opposing team's formation too.

What happens is that if you have your defensive tactics on "cover" your RCB/LCB will open up wide to cover for your wing back that just pushed up. In return, your wing back will cover for the centre back when he comes back, so it's like they swapped positions.

I haven't tried it, but if the opposing team plays with 2 strikers, have your RCB/LCB mark the RS/LS and leave your CB without a mark. Maybe this way your centre backs won't go and cover for your wing backs since they have to mark the strikers in the center.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have the same problem as the OP. Its not a covering for another player issue. I'm playing a 5-2-1-2 offline with everton, and every time I lose possession, Baines makes a dash straight to the central center back position, and my LCB Distin switches to wingback, and it leave a huge hole. For now I have switched to a 3-5-2 until I figure out if I can fix it.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

When you run a 3 back system, its really a 3cb formation. Your RCB & LCB are not out of posistion, they are in posistion, which in a 3back is
very central and compact, if your 3backs get to wide, you are toast.

Just watch Holland play, then Man Utd and you will see how open man utd get.
Fullbacks/wingbacks you can put wide and they are there to play both ways, their main priority defense, but they have freedom to get foward.

but a normal 3 back system, is a 3 cb system. If you try to play wide with one of ur CBs and open up the defense, you can consede a goal quicky because of spacing.

and in the 3 back system, the players wide, if they are fullbacks or wide midfield players, they have to sell out on defense or you will put your 3 central backs on their heels.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »