Home

Screen Pass

This is a discussion on Screen Pass within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Screen Pass

Anybody else having issues running screen passes to the HB? I literally have .5 seconds to get the ball out before I am hit by a lineman, something seems off with the timing. The only way I get time to run a screen is if I sprint backwards with the QB right away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Screen Pass

I've had 0 success with any screen play. Either the ball is dropped or lose yardage. I even slide protect to that side.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

I think it's more balanced this year. I have had success and I've had failure. I haven't had nearly the success as in years past. Most often I find my OL cant get to the furthest defender outside or a backside player makes the play behind the lead blockers. I'm also finding I get slowed up by my blockers if I move too quickly.

I still fear the play online as it has a tendency to be fairly effective if not ready for it. I think the balancing is a positive because it's enhanced my experience knowing I need to set the play up.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Kinmar's Arena

OVR: 1

I've ran probably 6 or 7 screen plays so far one was a gain of 3-4 yards, one was a 57 yard gain, and the rest were for loss. I feel like that's about what you can expect from a screen play in the NFL.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I get sacked almost every screen play. You have to time at all and when I do get it off it mostly been for lost of yardage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmar
I've ran probably 6 or 7 screen plays so far one was a gain of 3-4 yards, one was a 57 yard gain, and the rest were for loss. I feel like that's about what you can expect from a screen play in the NFL.
Absolutely. I've felt like the screen pass has been overpowered in Madden for many years. It seems like you can defend it much more consistently this time around.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Screens have been hit or miss for me. I've had a few go for good yardage (+20) but many more where I'm taken down behind the line. Or worse yet, my receiver catches the ball in the open but as he turns to head upfield, the animation has him skating in place while defenders close on him like homing missiles before he gets creamed.

Finding also that it's important to mix up play calling. The D picks up on overused plays and shuts them down much better than in previous Maddens. I usually call 3-4 screens per game and that's about it. Of those, I'm lucky if 2 get positive yardage but I have busted some huge gainers so they do work if executed.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Let me preface this comment: I'm not good at Madden, so I rarely play Madden above the Pro difficulty. Every once in a while, if I'm feeling confident, I'll take it to All-Pro, but that's it. With that said: I think the screen pass is over effective, regardless of down or amount of use.

I've completed a number of long screen passes and I can only recall 2 occassions of being sacked. I even managed to hit one of the downfield routes before taking a hit.

I'm running these screens with Arian Foster so I can imagine that adds to my effectiveness. But I've consistently been able to float the ball over the oncoming rush and get positive yards on Pro and All-Pro (defenders sniff it out quicker on All-Pro).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »