Home

how do YOU attack Ultimate Team?

This is a discussion on how do YOU attack Ultimate Team? within the Madden Ultimate Team forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden Ultimate Team
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Pro

goalie's Arena

OVR: 29
Icon5 how do YOU attack Ultimate Team?

any tips for a first-time MUT player?

i played a ton of FUT, and am really excited to try this.

ordered the Ultimate Edition, but so far packs are missing in cyberspace - so strike one!

anyway, how are smart players attacking this mode?

do all of the "basic challenges?"

i am still new to the lingo of each mode, but just wanted tips on how to get the most bang for my gaming minutes. life limits my play time, so i don't want to get lost in modes that are not a ton of fun or very efficient.

thanks for any tips!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Rookie

Sgt_Ludby's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: how do YOU attack Ultimate Team?

M25 was my first time playing MUT an I ended up winning a couple Super Bowls and having a record of somewhere around 60-30.

Here's my strategy, which I'm also employing in M15:

1) Don't buy anything. I just don't like the idea of "pay-to-win" games and I feel like MUT comes close to being a pay-to-win game. I also take pride in having a better team than some people who paid for theirs =P This is largely personal preference, though. If you don't buy packs, it'll just take longer to develop your team. However, regardless of whether you end up buying packs with real money or not, NEVER BUY PACKS WITH COINS. Never. 7500 coins can go a very long way getting you players with the team styles and positions that you know you need.

2) Build your team on Team Styles, not your favorite players. The stat bonuses can go a long way to helping you win. You could have an 80 OVR team with your favorite players, but that can easily be beaten by an 80 OVR team that benefits from a 70+ Team Style. While those numbers are arbitrary, I think it illustrates my point.

3) Play plenty of solo challenges. You may not have to do this is you buy packs and sell some of those players, but this is the main way to accumulate coins for the auction house. Once you've beaten your favorite team's entire regular season challenge, move on and play any other team's challenge. Without the coins earned from Solo challenges (you can get 3000+ vs ~1500 for H2H matches) it'd be hard to build your team.

That's all I have. I know I'm not the best but I'm definitely proud of the M25 team I built last year and I hope this year is just as fun! Good luck!!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Ludby

However, regardless of whether you end up buying packs with real money or not, NEVER BUY PACKS WITH COINS. Never. 7500 coins can go a very long way getting you players with the team styles and positions that you know you need.
Interesting. I'm new to MUT as well and what you're saying makes sense but I bought the 7500 pro pack and got Percy Harvin. He's going for 15k in auctions so at least for this pack, I came out ahead.

What do others think? Is it better to use 7500 in auctions or on a pro pack?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
Rookie

Sgt_Ludby's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by packermatt
Interesting. I'm new to MUT as well and what you're saying makes sense but I bought the 7500 pro pack and got Percy Harvin. He's going for 15k in auctions so at least for this pack, I came out ahead.

What do others think? Is it better to use 7500 in auctions or on a pro pack?
Yeah, that's a good point. You can always score big and end up with a killer player for your team or someone you could sell for big coins. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has gotten a lot of pro packs to see what the average return on them is. The only reason I'm hesitant is because for 7500 coins in the auction house, I can usually get a player with my team style with a good OVR, at a position I need him at. Of course, oftentimes they cost more than 7500, but I just like having total control over who I get for each position. And again, getting a pro pack with the intention of selling the content in order to turn a profit could just be a good way to get those coins to use in the auction house!

Did you get any badges in your pack? I just recently sold two bronze badges for 1900 and 2000 in the auction house (and they both started at 700). If those frequently appear in packs, they alone might be worth the purchase.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Pro

goalie's Arena

Quote:
M25 was my first time playing MUT an I ended up winning a couple Super Bowls and having a record of somewhere around 60-30.

Here's my strategy, which I'm also employing in M15:

1) Don't buy anything. I just don't like the idea of "pay-to-win" games and I feel like MUT comes close to being a pay-to-win game. I also take pride in having a better team than some people who paid for theirs =P This is largely personal preference, though. If you don't buy packs, it'll just take longer to develop your team. However, regardless of whether you end up buying packs with real money or not, NEVER BUY PACKS WITH COINS. Never. 7500 coins can go a very long way getting you players with the team styles and positions that you know you need.

2) Build your team on Team Styles, not your favorite players. The stat bonuses can go a long way to helping you win. You could have an 80 OVR team with your favorite players, but that can easily be beaten by an 80 OVR team that benefits from a 70+ Team Style. While those numbers are arbitrary, I think it illustrates my point.

3) Play plenty of solo challenges. You may not have to do this is you buy packs and sell some of those players, but this is the main way to accumulate coins for the auction house. Once you've beaten your favorite team's entire regular season challenge, move on and play any other team's challenge. Without the coins earned from Solo challenges (you can get 3000+ vs ~1500 for H2H matches) it'd be hard to build your team.

That's all I have. I know I'm not the best but I'm definitely proud of the M25 team I built last year and I hope this year is just as fun! Good luck!!
1) i totally get that. i poured money into fifa - it became an addicting trap. but it gave me cards i could then sell. once i realized that i just needed to build up coins for players i really wanted, i got stronger.

2) can you change your team style, once you've selected in during the inital setup? i chose ground and pound, because i like to run the ball. is this acceptable long term? i feel like everyone throws much more online.

3) so just keep doing solo challenges? that was my first instinct, but i didn't want to be blowing contracts if that wasn't a good long term idea. thanks for the heads up!

and thanks for ALL of the comments - i appreciate them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Pro

goalie's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good point. You can always score big and end up with a killer player for your team or someone you could sell for big coins. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has gotten a lot of pro packs to see what the average return on them is. The only reason I'm hesitant is because for 7500 coins in the auction house, I can usually get a player with my team style with a good OVR, at a position I need him at. Of course, oftentimes they cost more than 7500, but I just like having total control over who I get for each position. And again, getting a pro pack with the intention of selling the content in order to turn a profit could just be a good way to get those coins to use in the auction house!

Did you get any badges in your pack? I just recently sold two bronze badges for 1900 and 2000 in the auction house (and they both started at 700). If those frequently appear in packs, they alone might be worth the purchase.
i had a question about this too:

bronze badges allow you to "complete sets" - am i right?

is "completing sets" worthwhile? what does a set get you? and do YOU feel that is worth it?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie
i had a question about this too:

bronze badges allow you to "complete sets" - am i right?

is "completing sets" worthwhile? what does a set get you? and do YOU feel that is worth it?
Bronze badges alone are kinda worthless. Unless you have silver and gold to do the sets with. Some sets are worth some aren't depends if you want the player or reward
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Pro

Biizz713's Arena

my advice is don't buy packs. use the auction house to build your team up to an acceptable level you feel you can compete with, then just keep saving coins for upgrades. I don't think i've ever pulled an elite from a pack in any madden, I had a 95 overall last year and I didn't pull any of the cards I used.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden Ultimate Team »