Home

Same old issues again

This is a discussion on Same old issues again within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Same old issues again

Ah I hate my keyboard, I had a huge post written up and lost it. So, sorry for the brevity here. Hopefully this isn't seen as a drive by post and random complaints but, here are some quick thoughts.

1- Penalties are again non existent, specifically pass interference. I've played probably over 1000 games of madden in my life and I don't think I've witnessed more than 4 pass interference calls. I've also yet to see anyone from EA speak about this. It's actually kind of insulting when you think about it.

2- Injures. How come only ball carrying players can get hurt? Why and how on earth is this still a thing?? Again, no one from EA can be heard on this. While this isn't a huge issue as some folks dont want a realistic thing like this happening, how can you become immersed in an environment like that?

3- Qb inaccuracy was a bit of a marketing white lie. Honestly. I wish it was true but there's really no consistent footballs hitting the grass on missed passes. Once in a while sure but not like you see in the real thing. I blame this on the physics and lack thereof, but ill touch on this later.

4- Why cant the CPU Ai throw a screen pass still? They always drop back, then take a monster , nay, savage hit from my linemen. Savage.

5- Why is the CPU ai taking 5+ sacks a game as a routine? Speaking of savage and monster hits. The cpu's lack of escapability and willingness to throw the ball away is very concerning. And this year its worse with that new gimmick of hitting r2 as the ball is snapped.

I guess I was hoping for Madden to be built up from the ground and have a new, fresh engine and feel new on the next gen. Frankly this is kind of the same thing but with just fancier graphics. Who could even disagree? If you love the game... great! But this was a real failed chance to start a new gen with some very fancy new engine mechanics and greater detail and ai. This is just the last gen ported for better graphics.

I applaud EA for the improvement from last year to this year, but that's not the point. FIFA as a series is so far ahead of madden I dont think they can even see madden in their rear view anymore. The game has great ai, feels amazing and has re playability up the wazoo. I find myself bored to tears with madden 6 games into the new season I started because the game feels recycled to me.

Anyway I hope people take this as constructive and not just me doing a drive by. Some suggestions for people at Ea:

1- Put some time and effort into play testing.
2- The AI should be more robust, and you likely need to start over.
3- If you aren't willing to, can you find out why the cpu ai will refuse to dump off a screen pass or throw it away, instead of always being sacked?
4- Program in injuries for everyone and more pass interference to be possible
5- Ball physics! This is why passing is too accurate, running isn't fun, and why animation feel so canned. If the ball is always attached to a player like a jersey, it kills creativity and randomness. This is the main reason I think why the game feel so repetitive and boring after a while.

Cheers to those who put up with my rant, and I hope that EA will deliver a better football product.

Last edited by Scrollbar; 09-04-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Same old issues again

I'll be honest, I didn't read any of this post besides the complaining about no pass interference. lol..

I've seen a couple of members bring up a good suggestion for a way to make pass interference calls actually work. From what I can recall they said Fifa has a player collision system (now, I've never played Fifa mind you), where players can bump into each other and there is physics and momentum that are taken into effect with these "bumps" into each other, and the players are kind of knocked off-balance, if I'm thinking of it correctly.

Why not add this to WR and DB interactions, and voila, you have taken your first step to at least to finding a way to get pass interference called on players. It could work both ways as well. Too much physical interaction by the DB gets a DPI called. If the receiver runs into the DB enough, running very aggressively on their route (gets too physical with the DB), then OPI can possibly be called, but let's just make sure OPI isn't called too often.

I think that collision physics system from Fifa would be a nice step to getting the DPI/OPI's penalties started up.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Really good post and I agree completely.

Some aspects of M15 are amazing and I am happy with my purchase but as a whole, on the field and off the field, we, football fans, deserve a little bit better.

I'm hoping that we will see the things you mentioned in the not too distant future. The Dev team does seem as dedicated to making a quality product as ever.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
I'll be honest, I didn't read any of this post besides the complaining about no pass interference. lol..

I've seen a couple of members bring up a good suggestion for a way to make pass interference calls actually work. From what I can recall they said Fifa has a player collision system (now, I've never played Fifa mind you), where players can bump into each other and there is physics and momentum that are taken into effect with these "bumps" into each other, and the players are kind of knocked off-balance, if I'm thinking of it correctly.

Why not add this to WR and DB interactions, and voila, you have taken your first step to at least to finding a way to get pass interference called on players. It could work both ways as well. Too much physical interaction by the DB gets a DPI called. If the receiver runs into the DB enough, running very aggressively on their route (gets too physical with the DB), then OPI can possibly be called, but let's just make sure OPI isn't called too often.

I think that collision physics system from Fifa would be a nice step to getting the DPI/OPI's penalties started up.
it's a very good start and i imagine it would also do a lot to solve how canned the game feels. running would be a lot more interesting, and maybe having a guy thats 300 lbs would feel different than running witha guy whos 200 lbs.

ive longed for a football running game where running with a 280 lbs monster was different than running with a speed back. the approach doesnt really change. hit holes and hope you dont collapse into a blocker. with the fifa system i can easily envision a very satisfying run game where it would be just as satisfying to elude a huge player trying to take your head off, as it would be to get into the secondary with a 280 lbs monster crashing over db's like pylons.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

The only thing I have seen different between Madden 25 and Madden 15 is they have made the defenders react to passes faster than last year and that has them at times warping all over the place. It really looks bad. They have also reintroduced LBs super leaping to make plays. How anyone that's played Madden 08,09 cannot see the similarity is amazing to me.

No one liked that the defense played that way then, but now for some reason it's praised as great gameplay. The fact that this game today is playing A LOT like the older games should be sounding off alarms in everyone's head that all these guys are doing is recycling code and this engine is not much different than the last gen engine. It's just prettier and sounds better.

How can Tiburon state the next gen game engine is new and yet exhibit so many of the same exact flaws, the same exact way as the last gen engine?

No one is just calling them out for having bugs in the game. We are calling them out for having not fixed ancient bugs in the game. They add, remove, then reintroduce as new, old features and now they are reintroducing old bad gameplay because this seems to be the only way this engine can produce "defense."

Some of y'all have learned to tolerate this crap, however some of us would like to get out of this bad dream and get a really next gen football game. When you look at what 2K has done for basketball it makes me angry they cannot make a NFL football game. 99% of y'all on this board KNOWS they would make a better football game and 100% of EA knows it.

So until Tiburon starts upping their game they ain't gonna receive nothing but scorn not praise for the BS they produce.

2014 and you can only send one man in motion in Madden
3 years into a physics engine and it's no better today than it was the first year
2014 and they are just now implementing "bluff blitz" and if you use it, it sometimes changes your defenders original zone assignment and if you move them before the snap they don't even do the bluff blitz.
2014 and Mario running still exist in madden, only now you get glued to your lineman instead if running in place.
2014 and they still have not found away to simplify the defensive pre-snap controls.
2014 and the halftime show and commentary is still being trashed by a game made in 2005.

All this and some mo stuff and some of y'all will want to crucify us who point this out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Pro

For those who gave my thread a 1 star rating I'd sure love to hear what you disagree with or why you disagree with it? Did I post something factually wrong?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

The only issue I've seen is the pass interference or lack thereof. Defenders can literally stop a receiver mid route while the ball is in the air and there's no call.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Agree with this post 100%. Madden 15 has the potential to be one of the best football sims ever, but there are too many issues with core football gameplay present. Sliders don't even seem to help much this year. The CPU QB issues, the sacks, defensive coverage etc. is just too much to overcome.

Unless they can fix or tune these things, I feel like it's another year of a wasted 60 dollars.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »