Home

How do I run the ball?

This is a discussion on How do I run the ball? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
How do I run the ball?

Okay. I have played about ten games and still cannot run the ball. In only one game did my back eclipse the 100 yard mark, and even at that his YPC was around 3.7. I've tried everything I know to do. I lowered the difficulty to pro. I've tried multiple formations: IForm, single back, pistol, shotgun. I've tried ISO, counters, dives, sweeps, stretches, tosses, even the read option. Someone please help me here and don't just say, "Get better." I'm a ten year veteran of NCAA and have been playing Madden longer, albeit more casually. Point is I know my football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: How do I run the ball?

You have to know where and when to run. Attack the right gaps in the defense. Keep the defense on their toes so they aren't just keying in on the run game.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

I have no problem running on other users. Just need to keep aggressive and mix up the playcalling and you can break off a number of nice runs

Offline though is a completely different game. Can't average more than 3 yards per carry against the cpu
Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Rookie

Same here. Does adjusting run block sliders help at all?
Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

When my run game is on, it's on. Last night, I broke off 192 yards and a TD in a league game with Darren McFadden of all people. In year 1, I had a game in particular where I had a drive where I called nothing but run plays, and marched all the way down for a score. I wasn't trying to score - it was at the end of the game, I just wanted to kill the clock. But my run game was on point so much that I ended up scoring by default.

When my running game ISN'T on, it's bad. With Frank Gore and that monster 49ers offensive line, I've had games where I couldn't get more than a 2 YPC average.

I do like that the run game isn't an instant "easy" button like it was last year. Last year's run game was broken. Blocking was too good, I could break off 5-7 YPC without even trying. This year, you have to know what you're doing, and know what the defense is doing, and keep your opponent guessing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Just started!

I have no problem running on other users.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Rookie

I want to bump this post higher. I cannot run on the CPU and it is taking the fun out of the game. I understand challenging, but this is nightmarish, even on Pro difficulty. I have tried everything I know to do. I've done sweeps, tosses, stretches, ISOs, read zone/options, HB Power, etc. I've run out of every formation imaginable: shotgun, pistol, I Form, Singleback, Ace, strong, and I haven't had any success.

Another thing I'm noticing is my offense altogether isn't explosive. I can complete the short/intermediate passes, but anything above ten yards is not likely. I like that it is challenging, but I am a a fifteen year vet and struggling majorly. I can only imagine what it is like for casual gamers.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
I want to bump this post higher. I cannot run on the CPU and it is taking the fun out of the game. I understand challenging, but this is nightmarish, even on Pro difficulty. I have tried everything I know to do. I've done sweeps, tosses, stretches, ISOs, read zone/options, HB Power, etc. I've run out of every formation imaginable: shotgun, pistol, I Form, Singleback, Ace, strong, and I haven't had any success.

Another thing I'm noticing is my offense altogether isn't explosive. I can complete the short/intermediate passes, but anything above ten yards is not likely. I like that it is challenging, but I am a a fifteen year vet and struggling majorly. I can only imagine what it is like for casual gamers.
For running you may have heard this but it's a big one so I gotta say it. When Do You Hit The sprint Button? I suggest not hitting it until you hit the line of scrimmage, you sometimes go too fast especially with a speed back and your blockers don't have time to block properly.

What I've Noticed Maybe It's Just me, But in, M15 some guys I just can't run with, I'm horrible with a couple really good backs. And I dominate with average to bad backs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »