Home

?? Madden player models - buckled knees, 120 degree L-shaped legs, protruding knee.??

This is a discussion on ?? Madden player models - buckled knees, 120 degree L-shaped legs, protruding knee.?? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
?? Madden player models - buckled knees, 120 degree L-shaped legs, protruding knee.??

Why do Madden player models stand with their legs and knee buckled in almost a 120 degree, quarter squat, L shaped position with protruding knee caps when standing?

As opposed to a 180 degree upright vertical position as seen with real NFL players (and for that matter real people).

Something I have come to notice is that Madden players do not stand vertically upright like real football players or athletes. They have buckled knees and thighs that protrude forward. Knee caps are overly pronounced. All of which seems to prevent the player from extending his leg in a straight line. Madden players stand in an energy consuming inefficient position, and is quite taxing on the legs. Aesthetically, buckled knees quarter squat position seems strange when players are simply standing around before and after the play has concluded. I would hope this particular thread or post would draw attention to this concern and adjustments made to standing and walking player models in future Madden iterations.

This also appears to affect the way kickers approach their kicks. The front leg should be more along of a straight line when the kicker plants his foot and is ready for a kick. This also likely affect how all players move on the field as well.

https://www.pinterest.com/optecusa/kyphosis/

Madden player model: buckled knee, 120 degree L shaped, protruding knees

Madden player model - buckled legs
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Real NFL players, straight vertical legs while in upright position

Real NFL Players straight legs when standing upright.
Spoiler

Madden Player model - kicker buckled knees, L shaped legs, protruding knee caps which likely prevents the virtual Madden football kicker from exhibiting real kicking technique. Front leg of kicker should be more straight when he plants his foot ready for a kick.

Spoiler

Adding EDIT: (6/18/16): I'm going to add a video here that jerros made that is very pertinent to this discussion.
Spoiler

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 06-18-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Rookie

kcchiefs1984's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: ?? Madden player models - buckled knees, 120 degree L-shaped legs, protruding kne

Stick figure diagrams.. Always funny.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #3
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: ?? Madden player models - buckled knees, 120 degree L-shaped legs, protruding kne

I have to say, I agree with the OP and I'm glad you did an analysis in regards to this issue. This bugs me so much when the players tackle someone and their legs go backwards or sideways. It looks like a torn up knee or something like that, happens on every other play. The player models need to be fixed to allow accurate joint/limb movement, hopefully it can be implemented in the next Madden. I really don't know why they don't allow the player models to stand straight up, it's so mind boggling. I has to be some type of issue within the graphic engine they use, but that is no where near my level of knowledge so this is just pure speculation. Regardless, great work on analysis and hopefully someone at EA can take a look at this and get the ball rolling on a proper fix down the line. Good job man.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

Great thread & well put together! I hope the devs take notice. Correcting this issue would go a long way in making Madden look more authentic. I would also add they need to make players walk & interact with other players more naturally after the play as well. Players still look too robotic. So if you combine that with the buckled knee issue you bring up, it's a recipe for an unrealistic looking game.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

Good question. I've always wondered the same thing actually. I'm a fan of the game, but the player movement, which is greatly improved, is not quite there yet. That goes for during plays and in between plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Awesome thread and observation.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4

I have never noticed that. And now that you've brought it up I can't unnotice it. Looks very bad and almost creepy lol.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

Great Post. I've said all along the player models could use a little more attention to detail.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »