Home

FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1
FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

I figured I would make a thread that doesn't cause too much clutter.

I'm a casual fan. Can someone give me a good strategy on playing better defense?

Also, it would be nice for anyone that has questions and people who can help!

Last edited by TheBuddyHobbs; 09-25-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 16 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Yeah good idea. I too am a casual player. Never play online just MM or with friends. I don't concedes too often but it's not because am very good rather the CPU attack hardly score after running me over so some tips will be welcome.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Rookie

This would be great! Im a first time Fifa / Any Soccer video game player! Im a little overwhelmed right off the bat here.

Question: What mode / gameplay would be best for a brand new player to start out with?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford310
This would be great! Im a first time Fifa / Any Soccer video game player! Im a little overwhelmed right off the bat here.

Question: What mode / gameplay would be best for a brand new player to start out with?
I learned so much from playing Manager Mode on a low difficulty in FIFA 03 on my PS2 and just absolutely crushing through. At the time, I was just starting to follow the sport and also there was hardly any way to watch it in the US so I was just messing around and enjoying a game based on a sport involving teams and a culture i knew nothing about.

My recommendation - play a low difficulty MM as a big club in each of the big leagues (English Premier League, Spain's La Liga, the German Bundesliga, France's Ligue 1 & Italy's Serie A). You'll get the chance to see almost every team that matters and every player that matters and you'll likely find one you love and it might change the entire course of your life like the first screamer I hit with Stevie did for me in 2005. 8 years later I'm watching Suarez score in front of me on the Anfield Road end.

***I'm assuming you're not already a football fan. If you are, i apologize for over-simplifying explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
I figured I would make a thread that doesn't cause too much clutter.

I'm a casual fan. Can someone give me a good strategy on playing better defense?

Also, it would be nice for anyone that has questions and people who can help!
I only answered the last question but i saw that both previous posts were about strategy. As far as playing better defense, one thing you'll find (especially as a casual fan) is you'll have the overwhelming urge to hold down sprint and rush the player in possession. Don't do that. If you make a conscious effort to contain the ball as it moves and think of it more like "herding" than "seek and destroy", you'll be lightyears ahead of other casual players and honestly, ahead of a lot of seasoned players too.

What you'll notice when you do this consistently and get good at it is the CPU will eventually give you the ball - it's hard to watch them move freely but resist every urge to tackle. Only make tackles once you've mastered the art of forcing turnovers through pinching the offense into a point where their only choice is to turn the ball over to you. And then, once you incorporate tackles, be patient and recognize when they "show you the ball". FIFA does a good job (especially this year) of giving you opportunities through bad touches (typically following one of those "bullet passes"). Watch for those and don't overuse sprint or tackle and i promise you you'll concede fewer goals.

Last edited by aarontab; 09-27-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: grammatical errors & expanding the response
Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Rookie

stupu43's Arena

One basic fundamental of defending that can be added into this, do not drag your centre half out to the wings (or basically out of position) unless you're left with no other option.

The closest player to the ball should always be going to it, dragging players away is what the opposition wants, space is made, ball is played to space, oppo player picks it up, bang, goal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Using Legacy defending, my best tip is to control your DM, and use variations of secondary pressure (tapping the button, holding it down, etc) from there. I will also control the player that is not directly marking the ball carrier. Instead I will control a player to the right or left of the marker, and use secondary pressure from there.

This video from 15 gives an idea of how I play:

Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

My tip for defending is to try to keep your shape. Also I try to mix up pressing and trying to take the ball and just trying to contain the opponent and block the passing lanes. My recommendation is to watch some real soccer matches and then try defending like what you saw. That's essentially where I got my strategy from. Best of luck to you though.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5

One thing I stopped doing was holding X for me and/or R1 for teammates to pressure the ball. Seems to get my defense stretched too much and they move the ball around into the open space.

I try to be a DM and keep between the ball and open passes in the middle.

Keep in mind I'm not very good and play professional but haven't given up many goals

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »