Home

Tips/Help on the downward golf swing

This is a discussion on Tips/Help on the downward golf swing within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tips/Help on the downward golf swing

Folks, need some tips to improve the downward swing on TGC 2019. I'm unable to get the swing in a straight line and almost always have the right stick deviate from the straight line pattern.

I use right stick for club swing and use the thumb to push back and up on the right stick. Any tips on how I can get the downswing to be in a straight line consistently without wiggles or without veering suddenly to right or left as the right stick/club comes down?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Tips/Help on the downward golf swing

Yes, i have had similar issues.
I am now 'pinching' the right stick instead, using my thumb at the bottom and forefinger at the top if that makes sense.Definitely makes it easier to keep a straighter plane.
Just have to keep the tempo up with this method though because you have a tendency to swing too slowly.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86
Yes, i have had similar issues.
I am now 'pinching' the right stick instead, using my thumb at the bottom and forefinger at the top if that makes sense.Definitely makes it easier to keep a straighter plane.
Just have to keep the tempo up with this method though because you have a tendency to swing too slowly.
Using thumb and forefinger to push the right stick would lead to me changing the way I hold the controller. Plus as you mention, I don't see myself able to nail the tempo with such a grip. Would love to know if there are tips on how to improve the swing accuracy while using your thumb.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Banned

lions67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
Using thumb and forefinger to push the right stick would lead to me changing the way I hold the controller. Plus as you mention, I don't see myself able to nail the tempo with such a grip. Would love to know if there are tips on how to improve the swing accuracy while using your thumb.
I hold the right stick like a chess piece.
Take that to the driving range and just practise until you get the feel for it. Some people have also used one of those tempo meters to help them get their tempo down. I forget what they are called now but it does help.
You will get the hang of it soon enough, just keep at it.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
MVP

BL8001's Arena

A metronome?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
Banned

lions67's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
A metronome?
Yes that’s what they are called! Thank you.
You can download them free off the net. They can help no question z
Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
A metronome?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
Yes that’s what they are called! Thank you.
You can download them free off the net. They can help no question z
I'm sorry but what's a metronome? I'm on PS4 so will this thing only work on PC version?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
Folks, need some tips to improve the downward swing on TGC 2019. I'm unable to get the swing in a straight line and almost always have the right stick deviate from the straight line pattern.

I use right stick for club swing and use the thumb to push back and up on the right stick. Any tips on how I can get the downswing to be in a straight line consistently without wiggles or without veering suddenly to right or left as the right stick/club comes down?
Isn't this how the game was designed, to not be easy and to mimic real life?

I've had this problem, too. At first I had limited consistency using my thumb on the R stick to swing. Then yesterday I was all over the place -- I was only hitting the fairway on every other hole.

But yesterday I tried a new "technique". I think I have more control of my R stick swing by holding my right hand parallel to my controller, and gripping the R stick using my thumb & index finger. (Thumb on bottom, index on top.) So far I seem to have better control -- and consistency -- of making near-vertical swing "lines". Of course, I do have some deviation off the line on every swing, but I seem to have more control than I did when just using my thumb...

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 09-20-2018 at 01:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »