Home

The CPU takes so many penalties

This is a discussion on The CPU takes so many penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The CPU takes so many penalties

It feels almost like cheating, they are so aggressive on All-Star and Superstar difficulty levels that all you have to do is to hold the puck for a few seconds and they'll take a penalty. In no time you'll be 5 vs 3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Rookie

Inter1's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The CPU takes so many penalties

One thing I'm seeing in franchise mode is the CPU clearing the puck over the glass alot, especially when I'm on a power play. I don't score many goals, so it's not like I'm taking advantage of my 5 on 3 situations. Might very well be a bug. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthFall
It feels almost like cheating, they are so aggressive on All-Star and Superstar difficulty levels that all you have to do is to hold the puck for a few seconds and they'll take a penalty. In no time you'll be 5 vs 3.
Personally, I give up on All-star & above, nothing has changed from NHL 18 as far as playability on those modes are concerned. Crazy stuff happens all the time. I ramp up AI difficuly in Pro & that seems to give me a good enough challenge without feeling like I have absolutely zero control in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter1
One thing I'm seeing in franchise mode is the CPU clearing the puck over the glass alot, especially when I'm on a power play. I don't score many goals, so it's not like I'm taking advantage of my 5 on 3 situations. Might very well be a bug. Anyone else seeing this?
Has happened a few times however I don't feel it has been more than in the past from what I can tell. Will keep an eye on it.

Last edited by SeattleBattleCat; 09-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Pro

TerryP's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
Personally, I give up on All-star & above, nothing has changed from NHL 18 as far as playability on those modes are concerned. Crazy stuff happens all the time. I ramp up AI difficuly in Pro & that seems to give me a good enough challenge without feeling like I have absolutely zero control in the game.

Has happened a few times however I don't feel it has been more than in the past from what I can tell. Will keep an eye on it.
I've been trying to play on All-Star for several years, and it's the crazy stuff that ruins it. What are your top suggestions for ramping up the difficulty on Pro? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP
I've been trying to play on All-Star for several years, and it's the crazy stuff that ruins it. What are your top suggestions for ramping up the difficulty on Pro? Thanks.

Main one is ramp up CPU Difficulty Adjustment to anywhere between 4/6 to 6/6. Play a couple of games on each setting to find what you think is the best balance. I hover around 5/6 usually and have good results, close games & relatively even stats between user & cpu.

There are other sliders I change around a bit, but it comes down to comfort rather than adding challenge.
The other sliders that come to mind that I play around with that may add challenge are:
CPU strategy adjustment: increase 4 - 6 /6
Pass assist - drop to 10 - 15 /100
Attribute effects - max 10/10 - however if there is significant change in player attributes is debatable.

Plus I have found that by changing the next 2:
Injury Occurrance - raise to 60-63 /100
+
Size effect - raise to 50/100 (I think std is 25/100)
You have to be very careful about putting your player's bodies on the line. Might not effect actual gameplay but it really does make you more careful not to skate your players straight into a brick wall like Dustin Byfuglien - if so they might be having a break on the sidelines for a few weeks.

Hope that helps in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by SeattleBattleCat; 09-18-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP
You might want to give one more shot to All-Star with Full Sim setting, still going 4 min periods though. Seems to work for me this year, at the moment I'm winning slightly more than I'm losing and am expecting to develop in time.

Often each year when I can't get into All-Star or Superstar what works for me is just practice a ton on Pro and maybe watch a few how to score videos or how to defend depending on which one is more difficult for you.

As of my own tips this year just get rid of pokechecking, use it very carefully, most often your best defending is hitting and positioning, but overall positioning. The CPU just won't score if you've got yourself positioned well, the goalkeepers are quite good this year.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Rookie

Inter1's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
Main one is ramp up CPU Difficulty Adjustment to anywhere between 4/6 to 6/6. Play a couple of games on each setting to find what you think is the best balance. I hover around 5/6 usually and have good results, close games & relatively even stats between user & cpu.

There are other sliders I change around a bit, but it comes down to comfort rather than adding challenge.
The other sliders that come to mind that I play around with that may add challenge are:
CPU strategy adjustment: increase 4 - 6 /6
Pass assist - drop to 10 - 15 /100
Attribute effects - max 10/10 - however if there is significant change in player attributes is debatable.

Plus I have found that by changing the next 2:
Injury Occurrance - raise to 60-63 /100
+
Size effect - raise to 50/100 (I think std is 25/100)
You have to be very careful about putting your player's bodies on the line. Might not effect actual gameplay but it really does make you more careful not to skate your players straight into a brick wall like Dustin Byfuglien - if so they might be having a break on the sidelines for a few weeks.

Hope that helps in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

If you have a complete set of PRO sliders you are working on, please post them up in the slider section. Gives us more options!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Pro

Do you play 10 minute periods? Because I do and I usually end up with about 11 powerplays a game. It sucks because everything seems to work fine shots are usually no more than 27-30 for each team per game hits are about 12-20 per team a total of about 60 faceoffs per game pretty much everything you could ask for when playing for such a long time frame, but Jesus the pentalies especially slashing. I play on pro with cpu difficulty adjustment on 6/6 so it is not just superstar where this happens. I might actually start turning penalties off mid game if I find too many are being racked up early in the game it might be a compromise I’ll have to make.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »