Home

Is the Game Harder This Year?

This is a discussion on Is the Game Harder This Year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Is the Game Harder This Year?

When I first got the game, I decided I was going to keep the gameplay on Default Legend and not mess with many sliders as I always get caught up in the slider game every year. I made one slider change and the game was playing very well. However, I noticed with perhaps the last patch, the game has gotten exponentially harder. The CPU almost never chases at balls, even ones that nip the corner. Because of this, the CPU is almost always in good hitters counts and tend to rake. I play as the Mets and while I'm currently 4-4, I noticed my team ERA since the last patch jumped from 3.75 to 5.61. Thor is sporting a 12.61! Is anyone else noticing the gameplay harder this year or since the last patch, especially on Legend? I know countryboy said he also noticed something this year and was contemplating raising human pitcher control I think. Anyone else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Re: Is the Game Harder This Year?

I too feel like the game was better before the last patch. Before the patch the line drives and contact hitters definitely felt better. Now the ball stays in the air a bit to long like on 18. Since the patch I have also noticed pitchers get a lot more generous calls when pitching then I do. CPU pitchers still make mistakes and drop in meatballs that I absolutely crush. But that's the problem. Out of the box the game was great but now it feels like the reverted back to '18 formula of 3 outcomes. Homer, strikeout, or walk. That hit variety that was there out of the box is gone.

The line drives just hang a bit too much. When the game first came out I could hit the ball over the outfielders head. Now when they have to track straight back it's a catch 90% of the time. The only time you get doubles is in the gaps now. Prior to latest path I hit a screaming liner over the outfielders head that banged off he top of the wall, now this hit type doesn't feel possible anymore.

Anyway, were almost at that point where enough people complain that the game is broken on theshownatuon forum and they patch it to appease the online crowd completely screwing the game. At which point it will no longer be playable for me for the year. So I am just enjoying it while it lasts. But yes. Personally I thought the game was better out of the box
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I cant really say. I take advantage of Dynamic Difficulty so its too fluid to get stuck in a hard spot (or an easy one).

A Work in Progress
Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I don't know that I would say the game is harder this year. It's a little different in the way that it plays in terms of hitting, pitching, and fielding. I think the learning curve of pitching and hitting is steeper than it has ever been in the series.

Off-speed pitches have been nerfed a bit. Fastballs are more potent. Pitch speeds on higher levels have been increased. Contact hitters are more formidable. Hitting the ball out of the park isn't as "overpowered" as it was last year at least.

I think these changes have required long time vets of the series to readjust how they play the game. Nothing drastic, but you can't play 100% the way you did in previous years and expect the same results.

What I mentioned previously that Padgoi is referring is that I thought, and think, that contact on pitches considerably away from the PCI are too easy to come by. It happens both ways. Swings and misses seem to not be as frequent as they were in previous years. The more I've paid attention to it over the past week or so, I thinking its more of a result of missing your accuracy mark while pitching than anything. At least with meter pitching, that is my opinion.

So no I don't think '19 is harder per se. I do think the way the game plays is different and the learning curve is steeper than in year's past thus leading fans of the series to have to change their ways a bit to get the same results as they had in previous years.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
MVP

Well I’m on AS not legend, but I can say I think the game is more well-balanced than ever for me. Some crazy variance game to game, win 14-5, lose 14-4, win 7-5, lose 2-0, with a bunch of 3-2 & 4-3 games mixed in ..... I mean it’s always had SOME of this, but just way better this year. Really exciting & tense stuff.

Harder? For me no not really. My club is something like 38-37 (playing every game), hitting around .265 (3rd in AL), and leading the league in fewest strikeouts and fewest walks allowed. All pretty typical for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Countryboy, spot on. The game is different and it’s a new learning curve. 50 games into my franchise has never been more fun, even the WTH losses that I will have because I haven’t paid attention, made the correct move, etc. The balls over outfielders heads, the shots into the gap, and I’m thoroughly enjoying some of the plays that the pitchers are making that I’ve never seen before. I’ve got sluggers who aren’t doing well, bench players who have worked their way into the starting lineups..........etc, etc.

It’s all just been.......NEW.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I definitely suck more than I usually do.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
Well I’m on AS not legend, but I can say I think the game is more well-balanced than ever for me. Some crazy variance game to game, win 14-5, lose 14-4, win 7-5, lose 2-0, with a bunch of 3-2 & 4-3 games mixed in ..... I mean it’s always had SOME of this, but just way better this year. Really exciting & tense stuff.

Harder? For me no not really. My club is something like 38-37 (playing every game), hitting around .265 (3rd in AL), and leading the league in fewest strikeouts and fewest walks allowed. All pretty typical for me.

I’m getting typical results as well but the journey to those results feels much more earned than in previous years.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »