Home

I’m sick of the legendary players

This is a discussion on I’m sick of the legendary players within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I’m sick of the legendary players

Can 2K please stop with this bs

Correct me if I’m wrong but there is no G-League, no Euroleague, no international teams in 2k20. But apparently 2K feels like its more important to have Gail Goodrich and muggsy fking bogues in the game for an 8th consecutive year. All of the leagues and teams I mentioned previously make way more sense to include from a gameplay and financial perspective than these “classic” teams and the WNBA for that matter, but I bet if they were pressed about it 2K would respond with something like it can’t be done because of disc space or whatever.

People don’t like this argument but it’s the truth, the studio only has so many resources to work with and if there are 12 WNBA teams and 50+ retro teams in the game that means there are 60 actually relevant and profitable teams that have to be left out as a result of their inclusion.

If you want to play with classic teams and players there is an enormous catalogue of games for those of you to choose from, but it’s time 2K stops with the gimmicks and put real, current teams in the game and stop with the classic team nonsense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Jesus christ im sick of the legendary players

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxsf18
Can 2K please stop with this bs

Correct me if I’m wrong but there is no G-League, no Euroleague, no international teams in 2k20. But apparently 2K feels like its more important to have Gail Goodrich and muggsy fking bogues in the game for an 8th consecutive year. All of the leagues and teams I mentioned previously make way more sense to include from a gameplay and financial perspective than these “classic” teams and the WNBA for that matter, but I bet if they were pressed about it 2K would respond with something like it can’t be done because of disc space or whatever.

People don’t like this argument but it’s the truth, the studio only has so many resources to work with and if there are 12 WNBA teams and 50+ retro teams in the game that means there are 60 actually relevant and profitable teams that have to be left out as a result of their inclusion.

If you want to play with classic teams and players there is an enormous catalogue of games for those of you to choose from, but it’s time 2K stops with the gimmicks and put real, current teams in the game and stop with the classic team nonsense.
in theory what you're saying is true.but in reality 2k's team is huge. they have more than enough people to add these teams they've added and the teams you want. the reason being is, they dont have to start from scratch. the wnba is as close to scratch as you get with player models and movements needing to be captured for the first time. everyone else is a similar model, just with a different jersey, name, and rating. it aint that hard. people make entire nba teams with classic teams of rosters without having the ability to go behind the scenes and do faster edits as a coder.

odds are they are choosing not to do it the way you want because they are doing what they usually do. take something away that was already there, to bring it back in 2k21 as if it's brand new.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Rookie

EmbraceThePace's Arena

I agree that the G-League should be in simply from a realism standpoint, but the truth is, the legendary players are extremely popular in 2K. Much more popular than WNBA or EuroLeague or G-League.

Legendary players are a must have in MyTEAM and they’re super fun to play with and collect. If you’re talking strictly from a Play Now or MyLEAGUE perspective, sure, legendary teams don’t get used much probably. However, they’re key for MyTEAM, and that’s why they’re in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/embracepace

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/izomniayt
Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
in theory what you're saying is true.but in reality 2k's team is huge. they have more than enough people to add these teams they've added and the teams you want. the reason being is, they dont have to start from scratch. the wnba is as close to scratch as you get with player models and movements needing to be captured for the first time. everyone else is a similar model, just with a different jersey, name, and rating. it aint that hard. people make entire nba teams with classic teams of rosters without having the ability to go behind the scenes and do faster edits as a coder.

odds are they are choosing not to do it the way you want because they are doing what they usually do. take something away that was already there, to bring it back in 2k21 as if it's brand new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceThePace
I agree that the G-League should be in simply from a realism standpoint, but the truth is, the legendary players are extremely popular in 2K. Much more popular than WNBA or EuroLeague or G-League.

Legendary players are a must have in MyTEAM and they’re super fun to play with and collect. If you’re talking strictly from a Play Now or MyLEAGUE perspective, sure, legendary teams don’t get used much probably. However, they’re key for MyTEAM, and that’s why they’re in the game.

Im not going to speculate on whether or not it would be possible to have all of these things in the game simultaneously, but enough is enough with all the retro teams, like I said anybody who really wants that stuff can just go back to 2k11-19 and play those games instead. Also 2K could always just add a decent amount of legend cards to MyTeam and call it a day as that should be more than satisfactory for anyone desperate to see these players in the game every year.

True basketball fans, MyLeague/MyGm guys, and the massive untapped international market 2K loves to ignore would much rather see a proper representation for at least the G league and euro teams, with licensed jerseys/stadiums and proper scanned player models. I would bet a million bucks that the ROI on getting those things in the game would dwarf whatever demographic they think they’re reaching with the classic teams/WNBA.

Last edited by dlxsf18; 08-13-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Pro

Same way the WNBA “don’t have a market” neither does the G-league or Euro teams.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Legendary players, classic teams, MyTeam, etc is a much bigger selling point than any of the alternatives you mentioned for 2k.. Spend more than 5 minutes looking around on OS and that's pretty obvious. The legendary player audience is a massive part of the 2k demographic.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechid
Same way the WNBA “don’t have a market” neither does the G-league or Euro teams.

The g-league, probably not. But suggesting that there isn’t a demand for euro/international teams is ignorant. You’re talking about 5 continents worth of people who are getting little to no representation in the game save for a couple of NBA foreigners.

This is also a matter of giving the game more depth and variety. Imagine being able to work your way back up to the NBA from the G-league in MyCareer ( I know it was part of the static storyline last year but its not like you had to worry about getting reassigned once you made it to the NBA roster) or a FA period in My League where you’d have all those additional players from around the world to choose from in MyLeague, it would be amazing.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Lol you’re delusional if you think more players want G-League teams over the classic teams.

More classic teams bring in more legends and those legends get filtered over into myTeam which has a bigger fanbase and brings in more revenue than MyLeague ever could.

Adding players like Chris Bosh, Reggie Miller or Barkley and their respective teams would make more financial sense than some G-League teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »