Home

Inside Zone Blocking Assignments

This is a discussion on Inside Zone Blocking Assignments within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0
Inside Zone Blocking Assignments

I’m noticing that the blocking with inside zones, especially single-back and shotgun, are quite poor - which is weird because the dive and iso runs are so strong this year. I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues?

I’ll give an example:

Let’s say the offense runs Inside Zone from Gun Doubles and the defense elects to play Nickel Cover 3. When the play is run, the Guard and Tackle will initially double the 1-technique(fine); however, the Guard doesn’t attempt to climb upfield until it’s way too late. The inside defender who is responsible for the B gap has an easy tackle whether the runner bounces, bends, or bangs because he’s not getting blocked a majority of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Inside Zone Blocking Assignments

The G is much slower to get to the second level. What you are describing shouldn't be happening every time though. You may want to go easier on the left stick so as not to hit the hole too quickly (assuming you aren't sprinting behind the LOS).

As an alternative you can find any number of weakside iso plays (they are mostly called HB Slam) which block just like inside zones, but the G will only chip and immediately moves on to the next level.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Does your guard have the "high motor" trait? I recall there being discussion on the hogh motor trait assisting in getting linemen to the second level faster, or more efficiently.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
The G is much slower to get to the second level. What you are describing shouldn't be happening every time though. You may want to go easier on the left stick so as not to hit the hole too quickly (assuming you aren't sprinting behind the LOS).

As an alternative you can find any number of weakside iso plays (they are mostly called HB Slam) which block just like inside zones, but the G will only chip and immediately moves on to the next level.

Yeah, I’ve experimented with different running styles including left stick sensitive running where you don’t sprint unless you activate one-cut — to no avail. I even edited the roster to make every blocker have 99 awareness, run blocking, and finesse blocking. It’s like it’s hard coded into some the runs themselves and are independent of the ratings.

I’m playing in online league where I selected a playbook that has mostly zone runs. I can’t change the playbook until the end of the season. I also have to make sure I don’t call the same plays, so that’s kind of my predicament. I’ll change books to something that features more slams and iso plays when I get a chance next season.

What made me notice this was watching other guy’s twitch streams and the the owners that have man blocking concepts run for crazy numbers, but the zone run guys are average to below average on yards/carry.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Does your guard have the "high motor" trait? I recall there being discussion on the hogh motor trait assisting in getting linemen to the second level faster, or more efficiently.

They don’t, and that wasn’t a factor that I considered tbh. Do players have the ability to earn high motor through upgrades btw? Or is that something you just have or don’t have?

I’ll edit my players and run a few tests when I get a chance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
They don’t, and that wasn’t a factor that I considered tbh. Do players have the ability to earn high motor through upgrades btw? Or is that something you just have or don’t have?

I’ll edit my players and run a few tests when I get a chance.
The player traits added in Madden 12 such as "High Motor" cannot change via progression in Madden 20 (or M19 as well for that matter). They are what they are.

You are able edit those traits per-player at your discretion within Franchise if you so choose.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
MVP

I’ve yet to see a blocking scheme ran correctly. Zone plays seem to focus solely on finding a double team regardless of what gap the defender is in. I’ve seen plays where nobody blocks any of the linebackers. Although zone players are nowhere near as useless as plays with a pulling guard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
MVP

Pulling guard plays, with the exception of tosses, perform better than they ever have. If you attempt to take the ball through the wrong gap or sprint prematurely you are going to see weird behavior because the OL will change their targets based on the actions you take. Follow you blockers, lay off sprint, and don't run into DL/OL mismatches and all will be well.

The only time you should ever be calling inside zone is if there is a 1-tech play side. You might get away with it against Even fronts, but that's a big if. Edit - if they are spamming Odd or Bear fronts and you don't have an outside zone you can probably call inside zone with the intention of kicking the run outside if they can't seal the edge.

There is no number of still screen shots you can post that will convince me otherwise has I already have over 300 full games in vs. AI and close to 100 more H2H.

Last edited by stinkubus; 09-17-2019 at 09:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »