Home

If this is the "prototype" for next gen 2k's, I'm very concerned about the gameplay.

This is a discussion on If this is the "prototype" for next gen 2k's, I'm very concerned about the gameplay. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
If this is the "prototype" for next gen 2k's, I'm very concerned about the gameplay.

Just to name a few:

1. Movements feel sluggish, especially user controlled defense. I've expressed displeasure about how it feels like you're trapped in mud when you try to on-ball the perimeter, but this game really exaggerates that feeling, enough to the point where that it's no longer fun trying to guard someone 1 on 1. IRL, I know I can laterally shuffle & change directions 3X as quick as this game makes it out to be.

2. Shooting. If it isn't green, it's a brick. I know there's a huge controversy over shooting in 2k20 on a topic here anyway, so I won't talk about it.

3. The lack of buckets/fouls when attempting standing layups. Golly, this is got to be the most infuriating part of the gameplay. I can't enjoy going up for layups with my big men or anyone for that matter. You gotta pretty much be a slashing guard going full speed to the rim if you even want to get a foul called on you. Otherwise, I'm getting hammered with my bigs down low, getting clobbered with no fouls EVER getting called (unless it's a drive running full speed to the rim).

I'm probably in the minority in what I feel, or maybe I'm just playing this game all wrong, but I really enjoyed 2k19 a whole lot more than I have this year. I'm really trying to warm up to 2k20, but it's just not happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: If this is the "prototype" for next gen 2k's, I'm very concerned about the gamepl

#1 is by far the biggest issue for me. The series doesn't look or feel like NBA basketball and it hasn't for a while. They have to re-do the engine/player movement/physics or whatever term you want to use for it. NBA players are the best athletes in the world but I feel like I'm controlling an overweight pre-teen when I play this game.

Even a mess of a series like Madden has this down pat: I feel like I'm using elite athletes and have full control over what I'm doing on the field (outside of the occasional glitch). The responsiveness is on point. Nearly everything is slow and sluggish in 2K. As you said, it's infuriating to play on-ball defense. Passing and catching animations are so, so bad and slow that it limits your ability to play "real" basketball. I simply do not feel like I'm in control of my players. Most situations in the game boil down to whether or not I can get a favorable animation.

I've played 2K since its birth but I have largely given up on this series in the last few years (I buy it on Black Friday) because I feel like I'm not in control of what's happening on the court. It's not the learning curve or mastering the controls, it's a lack of responsiveness and dated, sluggish animations.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 12-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Banned

Re: If this is the "prototype" for next gen 2k's, I'm very concerned about the gamepl

the first 2K on this generation was the same as last gen just had different graphics, it was running on the same gameplay engine. So perhaps

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

#1 is my biggest concern right now. I stopped playing a few days ago and returned for a quick myteam game yesterday and maaaann does this feel sluggish if you are not used to it/dont play it every day...
Old 12-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

So you want shooting easier than it already is?

I’ve seen non shooters hit “full whites” from deep and we all know it’s easy to green
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
So you want shooting easier than it already is?

I’ve seen non shooters hit “full whites” from deep and we all know it’s easy to green

I want shooting to be consistent. I don't enjoy being punished by missing wide open 3's, while my opponent greens his 3's with a hand in his face. Shooting in this game is all about who has the best green animations.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
#1 is by far the biggest issue for me. The series doesn't look or feel like NBA basketball and it hasn't for a while. They have to re-do the engine/player movement/physics or whatever term you want to use for it. NBA players are the best athletes in the world but I feel like I'm controlling an overweight pre-teen when I play this game.

Even a mess of a series like Madden has this down pat: I feel like I'm using elite athletes and have full control over what I'm doing on the field (outside of the occasional glitch). The responsiveness is on point. Nearly everything is slow and sluggish in 2K. As you said, it's infuriating to play on-ball defense. Passing and catching animations are so, so bad and slow that it limits your ability to play "real" basketball. I simply do not feel like I'm in control of my players. Most situations in the game boil down to whether or not I can get a favorable animation.

I've played 2K since its birth but I have largely given up on this series in the last few years (I buy it on Black Friday) because I feel like I'm not in control of what's happening on the court. It's not the learning curve or mastering the controls, it's a lack of responsiveness and dated, sluggish animations.
Madden is better currently, but both game need a lot of work in this area. All movement, control, interactions, and animation choices in the game need to designed and implemented with the ever present mindset that these are elite level athletes. Success and failure should not happen because of warping or an animation sequence that would never happen in real life, even if an improbable dice roll happens. Players in these game should never move around or control like they were mo-capped by a newborn fawn.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Madden is better currently, but both game need a lot of work in this area. All movement, control, interactions, and animation choices in the game need to designed and implemented with the ever present mindset that these are elite level athletes. Success and failure should not happen because of warping or an animation sequence that would never happen in real life, even if an improbable dice roll happens. Players in these game should never move around or control like they were mo-capped by a newborn fawn.

I’m honestly in shock there’s dudes that actually think madden is a better game than 2k that makes me ctfu tbh........ madden is like a arcade game and looks cartoonish 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »