Home

Madden NFL Football: Top 5 Features Removed From Madden Over the Years

This is a discussion on Madden NFL Football: Top 5 Features Removed From Madden Over the Years within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Madden NFL Football: Top 5 Features Removed From Madden Over the Years

There's a common refrain that "it used to be better" mentioned by some sports gamers, and...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL Football: Top 5 Features Removed From Madden Over the Years

Real nice take on what once was. I really miss being able to view any game and spectate or run Cpu vs Cpu, why EA took this option out is well...typical EA.
Forgot some of the other options as well, it was nice to create your own uniforms and have freedom in creating your own team at any time no restrictions.
Only EA knows why they have gone in the direction they have with this series....or maybe they don’t.
Seems as though they have “new Developers” every year..with no connection with the previous years and sense of what the consumer wants or how to improve version to version..just gimmicks and glitter.
Nice video though, EA was once a lot of fun.

Last edited by tuckermaine; 05-08-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

The running back ability challange where you would face 2,3, or 4 defenders was the most fun training camp game.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
Pro

Devaster's Arena

The retirement one and having retired players becoming HC's is a big one for me. I loved that level of immersion.

It truly baffles me how much they continue to remove from their menus and information. I'm really glad they brought back the ability to check the roster of the entire league. I miss when it included FA players though.

The overall lack of some stat-tracking, playoff stats, and stats bugging out really irks me. Most players in Madden 20 don't have their stats from the years 2016-2017 counted.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Not really a feature per say, but I really miss the chain gang and measuring spots..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Rookie

Of the 4 major sports games (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), Madden is the only game that doesn't allow assistant coaches/coorinators in the game. It's also the sport with the greatest impact of assistant coaches. Figure that one out.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I would love to see a comprehensive list of features removed, ones that should be added and features that other sports games do that Madden should copy. I’m sure there’s a nerd out there somewhere that’s got a good list going that I would love to see.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

It's a shame the number of removed quality features from previous Madden. I would take the 06-08 PS2 Madden Franchise over what we had the past two generations. I get the transition from 6th to 7th gen and Madden 12 to 13 they had to remove a lot of features and strip it down. When they made the FranTik engine, it did its job of allowing them to not have to remove features. You haven't really seen features removed since CFM was created. The problem is CFM is bare bones and anything added is never expanded on. Last several years, Madden's approach on CFM is adding 1-2 top community requested features each year like custom draft classes, draft boards, etc. Most of the top added community requests didn't require overhauling a core aspect of franchise.

I do feel like we will be getting back Coaching staffs/Carousel. It has been overdue since NCAA 13 first had it and then NHL had it this past year. Part of reason Madden hasn't had it was because coordinators/assistants aren't apart of of Coaches Association(like Belichick). It is easier to do group licensing rather than individual licensing. Madden wants to be as authentic as possible. But I'm sure few would complain if Madden took NHLs approach with fictional coaches. I honestly think that could have been a gauge to see how gamers would respond to that. Outside of hardcore fans, the casual fan only knows a handful of coordinators especially with some HC calling plays. I would be good with fictional coordinators. But I would want coaching staffs to return for it just to be a attribute boost. Madden is a game for a long while coaches have little to no noticeable impact on gameplay. Hopefully we get vastly improved AI and CPU playcalling based on CPU skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »