Home

AI's defense issue on NEXT GEN vs. CURRENT GEN

This is a discussion on AI's defense issue on NEXT GEN vs. CURRENT GEN within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
AI's defense issue on NEXT GEN vs. CURRENT GEN

Hi all, I would like to ask if AI’s defense on NEXT GEN (PS5), especially during PnR situations have been fixed yet. For CURRENT GEN (PS4), this issue is like a game breaker, I can get to the paint every single possession, even when I used Popboy’s sliders, I can still do this. I am very tired of fixing the game, but I am desperate to play a NBA game especially I have a PS5, so I wonder if the issue is there also and don’t want to waste my money. Really looking forward to help from you guys. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2021, 04:45 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: AI's defense issue on NEXT GEN vs. CURRENT GEN

I have the game on current gen (PC Heavily modded) and next gen (XBOX Series X)...

Next gen is vastly better...it is a great game.

BUT...the pick and roll CPU D AI is much, much worse than current gen.

To the point that you basically can't play with some teams. Ben Simmons...LeBron...Giannis...forget using them as they can simply call a pick and go around it and dunk all game no matter what sliders you use.

I am now using Toronto...and the problem is way less noticeable. Lowry and FVV can't do what Ben, LeBron and co do physically...so, the paint is at least contested.

Hope this helps...but you should know before buying, the PNR D is a massive issue on next gen.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

If you make a house rule that you dont ever call manual Pick n Rolls the game is awesome.

I have run plays set to auto and just use that or follow the freelance movements. The cpu will call some picks for you but it's way less effective to abuse. I will iso as well or call my own plays just never manually call for a pick.

My posts 2 months ago were hating this game and ready to give up on it. Now since my house rule and using ATD rosters and scenario with their sliders, it's the most fun ive ever had with 2k.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
If you make a house rule that you dont ever call manual Pick n Rolls the game is awesome.

I have run plays set to auto and just use that or follow the freelance movements. The cpu will call some picks for you but it's way less effective to abuse. I will iso as well or call my own plays just never manually call for a pick.

My posts 2 months ago were hating this game and ready to give up on it. Now since my house rule and using ATD rosters and scenario with their sliders, it's the most fun ive ever had with 2k.
You are spot on here Cujo. I dont want to come off has a fanboy defending 2k but I keep hearing people say like I can score every time on a pnr or like the alley oop is always open. These are things you CAN control. I never will throw an alley on a pnr situation and like Cujo said, I dont call manual pnr. Its that easy lol

Once again, not trying to defend what they've done on pnr defense. Czar says its broken and he will be working to fix it in the coming years. But you have realize, when you are playing a video game and you can see the whole entire floor, I dont think there's ever gonna truly be a way to have perfect pick and roll defense because lets say a defense pre rotates, we can easily see that. That is something that may be out of the peripheral view of a real life player.

So Im not sure what the fix would be. Like the blur the ppl around you for guys with bad vision? maybe when you run a pick and roll the screen zooms all the way in depending on how well your players passing is ? Same with a post up , for say a hasaan whiteside, you're not going to be able to post up and see the whole floor to find an open man because Hassan averages like 10 assists a season in total lol Maybe another hot fix for the pnr defense is to play with something like the RAIL cam so you cant easily see everything.

Just encouraging people to open their mind because playing in god mode where you can see every single one of your players along with every single one of the defense players , it seems hard implement the realistic defense.

Once again, not defending 2k! lmao but I am a solution based person. I'd rather come on here and exchange ways to make the game work for me as opposed to coming on here to vent. Just me though lol
Old 02-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
You are spot on here Cujo. I dont want to come off has a fanboy defending 2k but I keep hearing people say like I can score every time on a pnr or like the alley oop is always open. These are things you CAN control. I never will throw an alley on a pnr situation and like Cujo said, I dont call manual pnr. Its that easy lol

Once again, not trying to defend what they've done on pnr defense. Czar says its broken and he will be working to fix it in the coming years. But you have realize, when you are playing a video game and you can see the whole entire floor, I dont think there's ever gonna truly be a way to have perfect pick and roll defense because lets say a defense pre rotates, we can easily see that. That is something that may be out of the peripheral view of a real life player.

So Im not sure what the fix would be. Like the blur the ppl around you for guys with bad vision? maybe when you run a pick and roll the screen zooms all the way in depending on how well your players passing is ? Same with a post up , for say a hasaan whiteside, you're not going to be able to post up and see the whole floor to find an open man because Hassan averages like 10 assists a season in total lol Maybe another hot fix for the pnr defense is to play with something like the RAIL cam so you cant easily see everything.

Just encouraging people to open their mind because playing in god mode where you can see every single one of your players along with every single one of the defense players , it seems hard implement the realistic defense.

Once again, not defending 2k! lmao but I am a solution based person. I'd rather come on here and exchange ways to make the game work for me as opposed to coming on here to vent. Just me though lol
One 'solution' is the rail camera, zoomed in...

It makes it harder to see open players and so forth in the paint area.

Which, I guess is realistic, but obviously not ideal.

You are right though that camera angles add to making the game too easy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Goes without saying, the pick and roll defense is a major issue. No argument there.

I just don't want this game reverting back to bumper cars around the court, with every defender hugging their man on the perimeter as a reaction. This has really dragged down the game for me the last couple for years

Finally, this game feels moreso like the modern NBA. Where space is a priority...and the CPU is more aggressive taking advantage of that space. Turnovers actually happen because you can trigger the same interactions the CPU triggers against you. They aren't intangible for the sake of difficulty. I've always said, I rather the CPU be fair than artificially difficult. I rather adjust the CPU to make certain elements more challenging. Again, thats not to say pick and roll defense isn't in a rough place, just like Czar has expressed.

I just feel like the last couple for years, we put all these innovative elements into defense before getting the basics right. I'm OK with trusting the process for now until we can achieve a balance.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty

I second this! Playing full games with Atlanta, 48 minutes, Myleague, I use auto for coach settings. Lloyd Pierce calls plays a vast majority of the time and very rarely do I have to call for a manual pick because my offense is running a set piece or they will start the freelance once everyone gets set across half court. But the Hawks are extremely PnR heavy, that's a majority of the playbook. In coach gameplan, you can see the default focus for offense and defense, the tendency to start younger vs older players, bench performance impact starting lineup, and FREQUENCY OF PLAY CALL.

One thing with the ACE, if I make a few buckets with Trae Young, rolling off Capela or Collins, it won't be long they'll be trying to counter that. They'll throw a double team, change their PnR defense strategy, and then it's looking for an open wing for a wide open look. From there, the Huerter will start bringing it up for a few possessions.

I've noticed this last patch that what at one time would be an automatic PnR that I could usually alley oop with Capela, I've had a lot of intercepted looks. In fact, the AI seems aware now almost every second where the ball is. Reading where the play is going and especially with Young's size, big men are quick to force me into a turnover.

I play on Xbox one FYI
Old 02-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have PS5 & PS4 versions. This is an easy one for me. Current Gen definitely has better defensive gameplay especially since the patch. It seems they nerfed every players speed with ball ability which makes it more difficult to blow by defenders. Here’s a tip also even though it’s not necessary now bc the defense is better since patch 1.08 although there are no patch notes, but you can give your man a little space it makes it more difficult for them to execute pnr’s.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »