Home

CPU Manager Hook slider

This is a discussion on CPU Manager Hook slider within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
CPU Manager Hook slider

Just a little frustrated with CPU manager. They seem to pull SP early. I was just playing Freddy Peralta, he was at 60 pitches or so through 4 of shutout baseball and CPU manager pulls him to start the 5th. I’ve seen this a few times. What is the proper slider for hook to avoid this? Of course adjusting this may mess with the reliever hook so I’m unsure what to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

Re: CPU Manager Hook slider

For this years game I would start with starter stamina at 6 and hook on 4. You have to play a lot of games and see what happens. In years past it seems like every notch of additional stamina slider basically gives them 10 extra pitches. So if their stamina rating is 84 then with the stamina slider on 6 they should be able to trow 94 pitches before getting drained. Situation plays such a huge role in the outcome so it's really hard to say. For reliefs I would keep the stamina at 5, maybe 6 and up the hook to 6 or 7 when the cpu brings in another pitcher. I can't stress enough that you have to play a ton of games to really get a grasp of what's going on... who's staying in too long and who's getting tossed early.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

currently playing with both starting and relief pitcher staminas at 8, manager hook at 4. It's not perfect but I more often agree with the CPUs decision than don't.

A big part of the issue with manager logic is that they are obsessed with effective pitches, or the point when pitches start to lose movement and control. They care about it so much that at default settings they'll send in an already tired guy to get destroyed in order to "protect" a fully rested bullpen they'll never end up using.

Pushing staminas up to 8 will cause the CPU to consider other factors better. Based on my testing the manager hook setting is more of a personal preference thing at that point, but 4 isn't a bad place to start.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Pro

knich1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
currently playing with both starting and relief pitcher staminas at 8, manager hook at 4. It's not perfect but I more often agree with the CPUs decision than don't.

A big part of the issue with manager logic is that they are obsessed with effective pitches, or the point when pitches start to lose movement and control. They care about it so much that at default settings they'll send in an already tired guy to get destroyed in order to "protect" a fully rested bullpen they'll never end up using.

Pushing staminas up to 8 will cause the CPU to consider other factors better. Based on my testing the manager hook setting is more of a personal preference thing at that point, but 4 isn't a bad place to start.
With relief stamina at 8 doesn't that cause RP to stay in too long?
Has it helped to get CPU to use the SU and CPs more often, especially the SU?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich1
With relief stamina at 8 doesn't that cause RP to stay in too long?
Has it helped to get CPU to use the SU and CPs more often, especially the SU?
It actually does the opposite, as the CPU manager stops trying to "protect" their bullpen and is more willing to bring out the right pitcher for the right situation.

I won't say it's perfect, but usage of SU and CP is improved over default.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Pro

knich1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
It actually does the opposite, as the CPU manager stops trying to "protect" their bullpen and is more willing to bring out the right pitcher for the right situation.

I won't say it's perfect, but usage of SU and CP is improved over default.

Interesting...I will give it a try. Thanks

Do you do for played and sim?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich1
Interesting...I will give it a try. Thanks

Do you do for played and sim?
Yes. Sim and stamina do react very strangely, but I've managed to unlock some secret vodoo sliders that make everything work out as expected in sim. Was never my intention, it just so happened to work out that way.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

I can back up WW's 8/8/4.

I played Red Sox/M's last night and the Red Sox bullpen management was very good! They had the lead going into the 7th inning and they brought in Brice in the 7th, Ottavino in the 8th and then Barnes in the 9th to close out the game.

Last year, most times they would have left relievers in for two innings and then bring in the closer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »