Home

Does Directional Hitting Seem Harder/Less Forgiving in '21?

This is a discussion on Does Directional Hitting Seem Harder/Less Forgiving in '21? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Basically what the title says.

I like directional as it's the "simulation" style of hitting that relies most on ratings.

This year it just seems to me that directional hitting is a lot less successful, especially in Diamond Dynasty. I'm seeing a lot less good contact, fewer home runs. Granted Diamond Dynasty is more geared towards stick skills but even in rookie level conquest games i'd regularly score 6 or more runs, I think i've only gotten more than 3 once. In mutliplayer games I'm only getting 1 or 2 hits a game, never mind runs.

I switched to Zone, which I never play, and i was only slightly worse. There's no way I should walk into Zone hitting and only see a slight difference after multiple years of directional.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
MVP

Ok yes I agree, but ... I also think hitting had gotten extremely easy the past 3-4 years. It was notoriously difficult for the first decade or more of the game’s existence, and those last few iterations were the exception. Now it seems back to normal, so there’s gonna be a fairly big adjustment period for a lot of us. At least that’s how I feel after ~45 games.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Does Directional Hitting Seem Harder/Less Forgiving in '21?

On Legend, to me, yes. I used Legend Directional last year and only needed to bump up contact a couple of ticks to get an accurate whiff rate.

This year with contact at 9 I was still seeing a whiff rate with good timing being 2x or more what it should be around.

I could take Acuna into practice and confirm it, too. Force fastballs down the middle, perfect timing and he would still whiff closer to 50% than not.

That's partially why I switched to Zone this year. I also just wanted to change it up and have more to focus on besides timing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 05-18-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I’m finding directional less forgiving on regular swings this year as well, but I think I’m getting much more success with contact swings than I’ve ever seen in previous years. Very good results with low contact high power guys( I’m looking at you Joey Gallo) using contact swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 05-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

It is harder but I like it. This year I’m on all star and I feels great. I’ve never used all star in the past. I was typically a HOF/Legend player. Kind of in between the two. This year all star+ is perfect for me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Rookie

Qball667's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222
It is harder but I like it. This year I’m on all star and I feels great. I’ve never used all star in the past. I was typically a HOF/Legend player. Kind of in between the two. This year all star+ is perfect for me.

Yep this sounds like me, in the past HOF is where i mostly played, this year it works perfect for me on All-Star.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #7
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I don’t feel it’s harder. I just feel the sliders need a few tweaks to get it just right. Personally, I wasn’t seeing enough power from me or the CPU in games played so I ticked the power sliders for both of us up just a notch and feel like it’s in a good place.

Also, the problem I feel like is the swing timing in general is just so late this year. You have to swing way later than you would in normal life. Generally in baseball if your not swinging before the pitch breaks you are going to be late on it. This year I feel like perfect perfect happens on swings that are nearly in the catchers mit. It took a while to get adjusted and I was early in everything in the beginning. To me it just doesn’t feel realistic to be swinging that late.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222

My thoughts as well. Allstar+ feels just right for me, hitting and pitching as well. Idk if it's timing or not, but this year on HOF I was whiffing on good timing a lot more than I was used to.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »