Home

How does Maddens sim engine differ from NFL HC09 or other text based sims?

This is a discussion on How does Maddens sim engine differ from NFL HC09 or other text based sims? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
How does Maddens sim engine differ from NFL HC09 or other text based sims?

The HC games or other managers are complicatedly simple, the better the players and coaches the better the team. But that's not the case for Maddens sim engine. I've seen so many Coach mode players puzzled with their teams progress, like having a 90 overall team go 5-11 and things like that.

The playcall engine isn't built for sim, so I understand how that's a huge issue but honestly it shouldn't be that big of an offset for GM players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2021, 01:35 AM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How does Maddens sim engine differ from NFL HC09 or other text based sims?

It's the same sim engine from Head Coach 09, though the tuning differs a lot.

Personally, I think the problem is that whoever is tuning it is including too many factors in each calculation. So, for example, there's a QB scramble chance that get called when the situation is appropriate. There's specifically a player attribute that governs this, but whoever tuned it included the QBs speed, acceleration, break tackle, all kinds of factors.

When you include 90 different variables, it's very difficult to tune. It's the same problem with progression; you have age, experience, current overall all effecting the XP TNL, plus there is practice, dynamic drive goals, fantasy goals... it's just too many bullets coming from every different direction and you can't get a handle on it all to tune it. The more factors you add, the more likely you water it down to the point of uselessness It makes even less sense when you consider there is literally a factor built into the player that can do it all by itself.

I'm hoping I can dig into the sim engine this year on PC. I'm doubting it because COVID kicked my *** and I have to dig out of a pretty big hole before I can get myself a descent rig again, but I know I'm the only community member really with the experience to do it thoroughly.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'm hoping I can dig into the sim engine this year on PC. I'm doubting it because COVID kicked my *** and I have to dig out of a pretty big hole before I can get myself a descent rig again, but I know I'm the only community member really with the experience to do it thoroughly.
That would be awesome.

We may have to start a 'go fund me' up to make sure that happens!
Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
That would be awesome.

We'd need to pray 22 will get a Frosty profile and be able to be modded. Last I saw, 21 still can't be modded since no Frosty profile existed due to the events surrounding Frosty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
We'd need to pray 22 will get a Frosty profile and be able to be modded. Last I saw, 21 still can't be modded since no Frosty profile existed due to the events surrounding Frosty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
We can partially mod it through Paul's tool. He's a FIFA guy but has been working on his tool to allow Madden 21 to be used on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
That would be awesome.

Bro, if I could make any money providing Madden content, I'd be thrilled and be 100% in, but I don't even know where to begin.

I thought about filling the YouTube niche between Moody and Rayweather, being the kinda mid-point voice of reason... not to positive, not too negative... I've thought about doing mods. Man, it's tough when you're not really getting bye as it is.

If anyone wants to do a podcast or something and just talk Madden/NFL I'm in. I wanna get in this game, and I think I have a lot to offer, I just don't know how to begin.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »