Home

Sony should take a shot with college basketball 🏀

This is a discussion on Sony should take a shot with college basketball 🏀 within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
Sony should take a shot with college basketball 🏀

989 sports should try to get the College Basketball license
Since 2k and EA backed out.
Sony wouldn't compete or have any pressure with 2k because the game would come out Nov/Dec
This would be a huge opportunity
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Sony should take a shot with college basketball 🏀

Hard to tell how good it could be. 989's NBA games were ok at best, but I think they were mostly sub-par to Live, 2K, ITZ and most other basketball games. And Sony's NBA franchise from about 12-15 years ago was average at best, in my opinion. If they decided to develope a basketball game they would need to import talent from 2K and even EA.

I know people want a college basketball game, but do you want it at all cost - even if it plays like the old Sony basketball games with not much you can do about it?

If anything, then Konami might be the answer. Konami was finally able to release a decent product (after years of bad games with the NBA 2Night franchise which later become NBA Starting Five) with NBA Starting Five 2005, but it was released only in Japan. That game played really well, and had authentic accessories/likeness by default and even some signature animations as far as I can remember. If Konami can get that team together and join forces with Sony, maybe it could work.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

Last edited by youvalss; 07-28-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
989 sports should try to get the College Basketball license
989 Sports hasn't been a company since 2005......

Also it's kinda hard to back out of a college basketball game when the NCAA wouldnt allow them to use anything until recently.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm not sure Sony San Diego is interested in doing other games outside of MLB The Show. Despite them not probably wanting to making The Show non-exclusive because that's what MLB wanted, it'll bring in a lot more revenue. So, it could allow them to expand what they do. I don't see Konami as a viable option. Outside of PES(which is now F2P), just not sure how commited they are making games.

When it comes to College Basketball games, only really logical publisher is 2k. The college basketball games didn't sell "well". It's the type of game that is almost a "passion project. It's not going to be a big seller, so you will need to have other games that you can count on financial to subsidize it. It doesn't make sense for EA without Live. It makes sense for 2k sense they can use the NBA 2k engine/assets and NBA 2k brings in enough revenue to subsidize the CBB game if it doesn't return much of a profit.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Gamzilla's Arena

OVR: 3

Someone needs to make a new college game. I start getting the itch around this time of the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzilla
Someone needs to make a new college game. I start getting the itch around this time of the year.
It's only a matter of time. It is expected that NCAA Football will be available in July/August of 2023, it wouldn't completely shock me if 2K decides to take on College Hoops in 2023 as well. As a matter of fact, I feel like the popularity of video games in general it would be a bad financial move for someone not to do it. Especially with the basketball game framework in NBA 2K, this could be accomplished without building from scratch.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Man, I really hope you're right about this. I would love a new college hoops game.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

To keep this convo alive, when would we hypothetically hear of production or information on the potential of a new game? I have to assume college football either comes first or helps pave the way for how the game is created but I’m curious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »