Home

Shouldn't sports games be a service?

This is a discussion on Shouldn't sports games be a service? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2021, 01:28 AM   #1
Pro

imdahman's Arena

OVR: 6
Shouldn't sports games be a service?

Rather than yearly releases shouldn't a sports game be a game as a service that is constantly being worked on? That way you'd have the entire player base playing one game, and you'd be able to develop one platform and tweak things as needed - and not have to 'reinvent' it for every year.

"The two most important days in your
life are the day you are born and the day
you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Shouldn't sports games be a service?

No, if you like me a 100% offline player, this model sucks.
You couldnt go back to a previous version and enjoy the specific gameplay and roster.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I don't like it for what I consider the major sports games like Madden, 2k and The Show. I want a new version to go along with the new rosters every year. I think it could work though for "lesser" titles like College Hoops or NCAA Football or PGA and UFC. Those titles dont sell 10 million plus copies a year so I could see it working out for both us as consumers and the publishers to make more money over the life of a game. For instance, I'd have no issue paying 50$ or 60$ for a huge update to NCAA Football that includes an updated roster and uniforms and gameplay additions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Going live/online is what has ruined sports games for me as a offline gamer. Just my personal opinion for me.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdahman
Rather than yearly releases shouldn't a sports game be a game as a service that is constantly being worked on? That way you'd have the entire player base playing one game, and you'd be able to develop one platform and tweak things as needed - and not have to 'reinvent' it for every year.
The NBA disagrees.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
Pro

imdahman's Arena

OVR: 6

Do people not see the benefits? If you have a game as a service it can be constantly worked on... as in constant game improvements. when a new season rolls around, you just get a new roster to match. New uniforms? Update - and the game keeps a record of every year and every shirt.

New game mechanic to work on? Okay lets work on and when it's done we'll put it in the game in 3 months. Got a better idea? Okay now lets develop that and patch it into the game. The game would constantly be evolving. Got a brand new engine mechanic or animation to add? patch it into the game. New graphics update? Patch. It. In.

Maybe it's a monthly fee like a MMO? Maybe a bunch of optional purchases like a new season pack every year that will update team jerseys and rosters.

Then you can start talking about layers once the game is at a decent level... you can start adding other leagues like the ones in Europe and China, then you can add the GLeague and NCAA, and start working and constantly improving trading and GM AI.

"The two most important days in your
life are the day you are born and the day
you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

The theory sounds fine, but would never work due to the new animations, motion caption, mechanics, etc that happens every year...
Old 08-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdahman
Do people not see the benefits? If you have a game as a service it can be constantly worked on... as in constant game improvements. when a new season rolls around, you just get a new roster to match. New uniforms? Update - and the game keeps a record of every year and every shirt.

New game mechanic to work on? Okay lets work on and when it's done we'll put it in the game in 3 months. Got a better idea? Okay now lets develop that and patch it into the game. The game would constantly be evolving. Got a brand new engine mechanic or animation to add? patch it into the game. New graphics update? Patch. It. In.

Maybe it's a monthly fee like a MMO? Maybe a bunch of optional purchases like a new season pack every year that will update team jerseys and rosters.

Then you can start talking about layers once the game is at a decent level... you can start adding other leagues like the ones in Europe and China, then you can add the GLeague and NCAA, and start working and constantly improving trading and GM AI.
Just imagine if GaaS started with 2K14.
2K15 i love the gameplay, but you would loose 2K14 gorgeous graphics (okay i lost it anyway as a PC player...)
2K16 (my favorite on this gen), improvment nothing to say
2K17 as worse game than the previous one
2K18 the worst game from this gen (i means you have to wait anoter update for playing NBA2K)

Fortunately, we can still play ALL those games (even 2K18 with the right sliders set)...
No thanx.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »