Home

Draft busts and late round gems.

This is a discussion on Draft busts and late round gems. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Draft busts and late round gems.

I know most of us are waiting on the scouting update to start franchise mode and I know that I'm particularly excited for it. I really look forward to spending time with an old fashioned spiraled notebook jotting down noted and deciding who to take in the draft. I remember the days of NCAA Football and Madden combined together where I'd export draft classes and play with guys in the NFL that I played with or against during my Notre Dame dynasty.

With that being said, I've been pretty out of the loop in regards to scouting, drafting, etc. in Madden for quite some time. And I know that with the up-coming scouting upgrade that we might not have all the answers. I've watched most anything I can find (which doesn't seem to be too much) on the scouting update but I've been most curious about one particular area.

Will there be draft busts and late-round gems in the draft each year? I am really hoping that there are. I'd love to see guys taken in the first few picks that just never really progress ratings wise. Draft a QB #1 overall and he starts as a 70, year two... still a 70, and by year three or four he actually drops into the 60's. Likewise, I'd love to see guys go in the sixth or seventh round, or even be undrafted that become huge stars. Obviously, this should be somewhat rare, but I hope it's there.

I haven't seen if this has been discussed already but I'm curious if this has been the case in years past (Madden 21, 20, 19, ect.).

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Draft busts and late round gems.

At least currently, there are.

I found 2 WR w/ R7 grades who were actually R2 talents in my current generated draft class. I also found great value at HB and good value at DT (not done scouting yet) in late rounds.

My hunch is they built more of these in to enhance the gamesmanship involved in finding one of these guys w/ the scouting update & then having to figure out how much attention to draw to that guy by further scouting.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I don't find as many late round gems as before. I find this year first rounders are usual ok starter at the least and superstars at the peak. Same with 2nd, third round is where it starts to fall apart and by 5th you are done unless you trying to get depth or special teams. I have gotten lineman, o and d, in the late rounds who are serviceable backups. But no surprise starters like before.

Last game, I got a 7th round corner with hidden development who was a star. By year 3, he turned into an 80+ superstar who you didn't go deep on cause he was 6'3 with that trait where he goes for interceptions. I miss him

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Man i'm just hoping it's not as straightforward as it is now. Knowing the 75th rated player is a top 10 talent in the class and being able to wait until the end of the 2nd round to take them just destroys all realism cuz the CPU doesn't seem to understand how to draft.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I hear a lot about late round gems, but have you all ever had a guy drafted 1-3 overall, and just never got higher than 72 or so overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I hear a lot about late round gems, but have you all ever had a guy drafted 1-3 overall, and just never got higher than 72 or so overall?

I have seen it. A draft where there was mainly 72,73 people in the 1st round except for the top
few

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

I've seen the CPU draft guys in the 60's top 5 in this year's game. They'll leave the 78 SS dev Safety on the board into the 3rd round lol but they have no problem drafting the jokers early.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

XP Slider settings negate there possibly being a “Bust”

Most have their Sliders set to push ratings to mimic high Front End roster levels, so every player is playable, thus no Bust.

Set them at “3-5” & players ratings won’t be fluffed so easily, so that 68 OVR 1st Rd pick probably won’t develop, thus becoming a Bust

Last edited by khaliib; 09-08-2021 at 04:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »