Home

Draft busts and late round gems.

This is a discussion on Draft busts and late round gems. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Draft busts and late round gems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
XP Slider settings negate there possibly being a “Bust”

Most have their Sliders set to push ratings to mimic high Front End roster levels, so every player is playable, thus no Bust.

Set them at “3-5” & players ratings won’t be fluffed so easily, so that 68 OVR 1st Rd pick probably won’t develop, thus becoming a Bust

Can you elaborate a bit. I’m not aware of what the XP slider does and how it might affect drafted players.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Can you elaborate a bit. I’m not aware of what the XP slider does and how it might affect drafted players.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Draft Class generates positional ratings on the low to mid range (50-79), with OVR's ranging from Undrafted (50's) to 1st Rd (upper 70's).

XP decides how fast points used to progress players, will be gained.

Front End Rosters are rated OVR and positional wise, on the high end.
Most XP Slider settings rapidly push generated levels to match Front End levels.

Problem with this is that players below mid-70's will rarely touch the field because Franchise will be full of players above this, whom are playable across the board (ie not a bad player)

XP Sliders set at "3-5" will allow players to progress up to SS/X-Factor unlock Thresholds below, while still allowing 60's rated players to actually be starting on some teams (including Users).

QB = unlocks 60, 70, 80, 85, 90 & 95 (for balance with other positions, max at "85" OVR)
OL/FB = unlocks at 70 & 80 OVR's
Other other Pos = unlocks at 70 & 85

Per Dev's there's no additional ratings boost by Abilities when positional ratings are already high (basically cancels out), so XP pushing players above max Ability unlock Thresholds basically nerfs their purpose inside Franchise.

3-5 XP allows a handful of players to progress to 85 OVR, while most won't progress past their Drafted OVR, thus a 1st Rd 69 OVR draftee will not progress, providing the sought after "Bust Factor".

> this also prevents the Tom Brady Affect (multiple players, esp QB's playing late into their 30's) from bombarding your Franchise

> 99% Free Agents will be 60's and below, so the lost of a quality starter on a team will actually have a tangible impact.

> trades to fill voids will require some serious Draft Capital investment to pull off because players OVR's are not rated on the high end.

etc, etc, etc....
Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Draft Class generates positional ratings on the low to mid range (50-79), with OVR's ranging from Undrafted (50's) to 1st Rd (upper 70's).

Most XP Slider settings rapidly push generated levels to match Front End levels.

Problem with this is that players below mid-70's will rarely touch the field because Franchise will be full of players above this, whom are playable across the board (ie not a bad player)

XP Sliders set at "3-5" will allow players to progress up to SS/X-Factor unlock Thresholds below, while still allowing 60's rated players to actually be starting on some teams (including Users).

QB = unlocks 60, 70, 80, 85, 90 & 95 (for balance with other positions, max at "85" OVR)

Per Dev's there's no additional ratings boost by Abilities when positional ratings are already high (basically cancels out), so XP pushing players above max Ability unlock Thresholds basically nerfs their purpose inside Franchise.

3-5 XP allows a handful of players to progress to 85 OVR, while most won't progress past their Drafted OVR, thus a 1st Rd 69 OVR draftee will not progress, providing the sought after "Bust Factor".

> this also prevents the Tom Brady Affect (multiple players, esp QB's playing late into their 30's) from bombarding your Franchise

> 99% Free Agents will be 60's and below, so the lost of a quality starter on a team will actually have a tangible impact.

> trades to fill voids will require some serious Draft Capital investment to pull off because players OVR's are not rated on the high end.

etc, etc, etc....
Just so I have this right: you're suggesting XP values of 3 to 5 for all positions?

I think I get the rationale.

Where does this leave top-end league talent from draft classes after several years. Do you still have elite talent rated in the high 80s to mid 90s for at least a few players at each position?

Or is the net effect more like dropping the rating of an elite player to, say, 85, rather than 99?

I like the idea of having to make use of guys in the 50s and 60s, but I'd want to know that players could still reach truly elite levels if things went their way.

I think the idea of a genuine bust has been sorely missing for some time for the HUM player in the draft, which would be great to see addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Related to gems and busts, I wish every single rookie had their development trait hidden behind a snap count. It would be nice if that snap count was a setting one could change. I'd like to draft a 1st round QB and have him sit the bench developing for 1 year, then start for a year and a half before I saw his development trait was normal. That would be a better way to have busts in my mind compared to what we have now where you'll see their development trait immediately which means you know they're a bust before they ever even pad up for you.

― Plato
Old 09-08-2021, 10:54 PM   #13
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:

etc, etc, etc....
Man, I've read this three times and still can't comprehend it all. LMAO. It's late, I'll read it again tomorrow.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-09-2021, 02:29 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
Just so I have this right: you're suggesting XP values of 3 to 5 for all positions?

I think I get the rationale.

Where does this leave top-end league talent from draft classes after several years. Do you still have elite talent rated in the high 80s to mid 90s for at least a few players at each position?

Or is the net effect more like dropping the rating of an elite player to, say, 85, rather than 99?

I like the idea of having to make use of guys in the 50s and 60s, but I'd want to know that players could still reach truly elite levels if things went their way.

I think the idea of a genuine bust has been sorely missing for some time for the HUM player in the draft, which would be great to see addressed.
90’s OVR’s are just fluffed by high AWR rating so you’re really not getting anything more special, while the positional ratings end up grouped too closely killing differentiation with mostly high, little to no low, very few mid position rated players.

On Sim Style Delta (difference berween ratings) dictate chance/outcomes/animations, so when players positional ratings are grouped so closely together, theres little difference in play between them, then game/Franchise starts to get boring because Draft, Trading, FA, Coaches etc… have no functionality because high XP progresses players so fast/easily.

Last edited by khaliib; 09-09-2021 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:43 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Man, I've read this three times and still can't comprehend it all. LMAO. It's late, I'll read it again tomorrow.
I think if you see it, the picture will be clearer.

Set XP to “5” across the board & Sim 15yrs, you’ll see how it helps all the mechanisms in Franchise to mesh with one another.

Try some trades etc…
Play a couple games

Last edited by khaliib; 09-09-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #16
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Related to gems and busts, I wish every single rookie had their development trait hidden behind a snap count. It would be nice if that snap count was a setting one could change. I'd like to draft a 1st round QB and have him sit the bench developing for 1 year, then start for a year and a half before I saw his development trait was normal. That would be a better way to have busts in my mind compared to what we have now where you'll see their development trait immediately which means you know they're a bust before they ever even pad up for you.
Been saying this for years. Not sure why it's not a thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »