Home

5-Out Offense

This is a discussion on 5-Out Offense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
5-Out Offense

I swear! If the 5-out offense wasn't an option, these bums wouldn't know how to play videogame basketball. No matter the mode, it's the same tired 5-out play, PG calls for a screen, PG dances behind the screen, PG will either drive to kick it out for an open 3 due to a bad rotation, or the PG will drive for a dunk/layup. This crap is so braindead boring to me.

How can anyone call themselves a "competitive" player in "any" mode when you use the same boring tactic that anyone can pick up by watching a bunch of YouTube videos?

End of rant.

Played MyTeam and PNO yesterday, and I saw that in 95% of my games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 5-Out Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I swear! If the 5-out offense wasn't an option, these bums wouldn't know how to play videogame basketball. No matter the mode, it's the same tired 5-out play, PG calls for a screen, PG dances behind the screen, PG will either drive to kick it out for an open 3 due to a bad rotation, or the PG will drive for a dunk/layup. This crap is so braindead boring to me.

How can anyone call themselves a "competitive" player in "any" mode when you use the same boring tactic that anyone can pick up by watching a bunch of YouTube videos?

End of rant.

Played MyTeam and PNO yesterday, and I saw that in 95% of my games.
For competitive players the only point is to win so exploiting game mechanics is the logical thing to do. I blame dev teams for allowing success to be had in games with minimal knowledge of the fundamentals of a sport. Competitive players will never change unless forced to, never.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
For competitive players the only point is to win so exploiting game mechanics is the logical thing to do. I blame dev teams for allowing success to be had in games with minimal knowledge of the fundamentals of a sport. Competitive players will never change unless forced to, never.
I don't even blame the developers. Bums will be bums. Defense is on crack this year, and that play is still way too successful. I swear Da Czar had "removed" it somehow one year.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

but you can stop the PnR by changing your defensive settings.

If you make it so no one helps off their man unless it's a non shooter and hedge or switch those screens with strong defenders, you'll shut it down.

But if you watch playoff basketball a lot of times that's what it is. Find the slow footed big man defender, clear everybody out, and put him in a pick n roll for every minute he's on the floor.

Kevin Durant hunting Brook Lopez with Blake screens comes to mind last season.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I don't even blame the developers. Bums will be bums. Defense is on crack this year, and that play is still way too successful. I swear Da Czar had "removed" it somehow one year.
No I blame the company for sure, I mean I understand that management makes choices based on making more money, but it's still a choice. The key design decisions IMO are centered on inertia defying movement, poorly implemented stamina, limited foul calls especially against offensive players, and of course arcade based shooting abilities, I 100% believe that they could ameliorate the Meta tactics by tuning these aspects of the game differently, but they probably feel the risk to their revenue stream is too great.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
but you can stop the PnR by changing your defensive settings.

If you make it so no one helps off their man unless it's a non shooter and hedge or switch those screens with strong defenders, you'll shut it down.

But if you watch playoff basketball a lot of times that's what it is. Find the slow footed big man defender, clear everybody out, and put him in a pick n roll for every minute he's on the floor.

Kevin Durant hunting Brook Lopez with Blake screens comes to mind last season.
And comments like this is EXACTLY why people think it's "real life". No, they don't hunt the slow-footed center on EVERY SINGLE possession, otherwise the only person who would be scoring would be the one attacking the slow-footer center on every single possession.

I've was playing basketball since 5th grade, and I have NEVER played for a coach who he told 3 of us to sit outside the 3PT line, watch the PnR action between the PF/C and PG, and being ready to catch and shoot. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER.

Even when I was that C/PF guarding the pick and roll, I have NEVER met a player who shot 80+% behind a screen. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. I have NEVER met a player who was able to get to the bucket 95% of the time after a screen. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. I got a bad back and bum knee, and I can still guard the PnR where it's no where near as successful as what happens in NBA 2K.

I can change my settings respectively and defend it, but every fricking game no matter what mode I'm playing??? Really??? Bums really don't know ANY other offense other the PnR???

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 11-06-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
No I blame the company for sure, I mean I understand that management makes choices based on making more money, but it's still a choice. The key design decisions IMO are centered on inertia defying movement, poorly implemented stamina, limited foul calls especially against offensive players, and of course arcade based shooting abilities, I 100% believe that they could ameliorate the Meta tactics by tuning these aspects of the game differently, but they probably feel the risk to their revenue stream is too great.
Cough...*get rid of badges*...cough.

I agree to a point.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #8
Rookie

You add five out plus the stuff that’s already hard to stop it’s tiresome. Like 5-out isn’t enough.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »