Home

"The NFL won't let EA do that" Myth or Fact?

This is a discussion on "The NFL won't let EA do that" Myth or Fact? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
"The NFL won't let EA do that" Myth or Fact?

I've heard this "rumor" ever since they took the ambulances off the field. It's the reason behind there being always full stadiums, no concussion injuries, no suspensions, only certain jerseys, only certain relocations, can't use custom teams, can't do this, can't do that.

I have however, never once seen any actual evidence of the NFL or EA Sports saying any of these things. I wonder if it's even true or just excuses to not get the basic things in the game.

What have you heard the NFL is stopping EA from doing? And is there any real truth to it all?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2021, 11:51 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: "The NFL won't let EA do that" Myth or Fact?

People who worked on NFL Blitz (the original arcade cabinet) have told stories about how the NFL reviewed every single tackle animation in the game for approval.

The NFL has been extremely controlling of their brand for a long time.

Specific to Madden, I'm sure if you went back through the different forum posts of various former Madden devs here combined with their media availability elsewhere you could find some comments about certain features or request not getting licensor approval. Those anecdotes didn't appear out of thin air.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 12-28-2021 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:32 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm sure it has happened on some occasions, but not nearly as often as some imply.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

* An internal EA meeting...
EA employee: "One of the things the community would like to have is dynamic attendance"
EA rep: "Okay, we'll see what we can do"

*Later, a meeting between EA and a league rep
EA rep: "One of the requested features is dynamic attendance"
NFL rep: "Oh?"
EA rep: "Yeah, I can't imagine Shahid Kahn would be thrilled seeing his stadium half empty though"
NFL rep: "haha probably not"
EA rep: "So you'd prefer we didn't include that?"
NFL rep: "Yeah, if possible don't"

* Back at EA offices....
EA rep: "Bad news guys..."

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 12-29-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I think it happens far more than we all think. The NFL is a massive brand. Not just a sports league, but a brand. It has to keep it's image to its own standards. Licensing agreements between even the smallest of brands can have massive restrictions in place with respect to what others can do while representing their brand. I suspect the NFL's licensing agreement includes pages upon pages and pages of restrictions for using the NFL brand within the license. They'll have control over almost anything EA does I bet. It's common practice in business and licensing. Especially when large sums of money and exclusivity are involved.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Thinking that any of it is myth is tinfoil hat IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2021, 12:43 AM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
It’s a wonder the NFL let’s the current product release as is. Money above all I guess.
Really shocking isn't it?
Old 12-30-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by venem557
I've heard this "rumor" ever since they took the ambulances off the field. It's the reason behind there being always full stadiums, no concussion injuries, no suspensions, only certain jerseys, only certain relocations, can't use custom teams, can't do this, can't do that.

I have however, never once seen any actual evidence of the NFL or EA Sports saying any of these things. I wonder if it's even true or just excuses to not get the basic things in the game.

What have you heard the NFL is stopping EA from doing? And is there any real truth to it all?
I’m not sure about the rest, but as far as suspension, ejection, fighting, type of stuff goes, I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the NFL is behind it. Suspensions and ejections aren’t really present in any current sports game, other then foul related stuff. There’s no real arguments with referees, or team brawls breaking out, no PED’s. There can be fights between two players in NHL, but that’s it.

Rather then all the game companies being lazy, I think it’s more likely that it’s just a common sensitive spot among all the leagues to protect their brands. Concussion injuries would be a concern specific to the NFL, so I think it’s safe to say they are behind that as well. It’s so simple, it wouldn’t make sense for EA to just choose not to add that injury type.

Last edited by Rocket32; 12-30-2021 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

At the end of the day, the executives decide what resources/time will be allocated for a plethora of areas that the game is made up of.

In 2022 we all know what aspect of Madden gets first dibs of any resource focus & that is unfortunately driven by the consumer base.
- revisit the Vision Cone feature

Sure there are some brand protecting aspects the NFL gives yea/nay towards putting in a video game, but it will always come back to the order stated above.

There’s thousands of actual gameplay aspects that incorporate simulating the sport that are open for the game to do, yet Madden still doesn’t have in it and it’s not due to the NFL

Last edited by khaliib; 12-30-2021 at 09:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »