Home

Is the slide step overdone?

This is a discussion on Is the slide step overdone? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Is the slide step overdone?

I use manage mode. It's great for seeing exactly how the game is programmed without no user input.

They introduced balls curving foul and it was overdone. 30 balls a game curved foul.

They introduced chased pitches and it was overdone. 10 wild pitches per game.

Now we have the slide step. I can't find a statistical analysis of how often MLB pitchers use the slide step but I suspect once again they have overdone it. One reason it isn't popular with a lot of pitchers is it reduces velocity and control. Did they take that into account? Of course not.

They need to think this stuff through before they put it in the game. Now we are stuck with it until they decide to fix it - if they ever do.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
MVP

forme95's Arena

Re: Is the slide step overdone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I use manage mode. It's great for seeing exactly how the game is programmed without no user input.

They introduced balls curving foul and it was overdone. 30 balls a game curved foul.

They introduced chased pitches and it was overdone. 10 wild pitches per game.

Now we have the slide step. I can't find a statistical analysis of how often MLB pitchers use the slide step but I suspect once again they have overdone it. One reason it isn't popular with a lot of pitchers is it reduces velocity and control. Did they take that into account? Of course not.

They need to think this stuff through before they put it in the game. Now we are stuck with it until they decide to fix it - if they ever do.

Now I could argue with that about the pitchout. They even say it in commentary that no one uses the pitch out anymore. They just throw a high outside fastball.

The slide step however, is done well in my opinion. Im also glad that my pitchers can now and will use it. In the past, only the cpu team would use it. Just like the extra step leadoff. You cant give your runner the extra step, but the cpu can does use it. I think they even did a good job of velo and command of it. I still get plenty of strike calls from the slide step.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 05-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
MVP

forme95's Arena

Just to add. Remember MLBTS baseball is going off of baseball close to 10+ years ago logic. Complete games, pitchout, hit and run, bunting, small ball, etc

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I would prefer to play the game with manager mode since I can't find a balance between hitting and pitching. But its just not done well enough. More and more, I wonder if OOTP is the way I should be gaming..

.. as for the slidestep; the best base-stealers seem to get crazy jumps. So I think it balances out, personally. But I certainly understand the complaint.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Your signature
Great movie! I love that speech

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

No I don't think its overdone.

I'll see it used, but its not used every single pitch with a man on base, and times not used at all.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I think the CPU maybe uses it a little too much, but nothing crazy. I don't think left handed pitchers should be using it much at all. Righties will use it occasionally (and the CPU really only starts doing it a lot, in my experience, if you've attempted multiple steals already). I do think the CPU needs to be less predictable about it. As is, the CPU will only ever slide step or pitch out in early counts (0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1). Any other count, they will never worry about the runner again aside from maybe a pickoff. And there needs to be more slidestep animations. Pitchers don't completely abandon their motion and arm angle when there's a runner on base.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Honestly, I've never done it in the game, I didn't know it existed before it ended up in The Show, and don't understand what it even is and I've been watching baseball for about 30 years. So this is all lost on me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »