Home

Grand Tactitian Civil War (Part II)

This is a discussion on Grand Tactitian Civil War (Part II) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

OVR: 0
Grand Tactitian Civil War (Part II)

"Grand Tactician Civil War"

I would like to share a new playthrough on what I consider the best Wargame ever made (for real): Grand Tactitian Civil War.

I already shared a first game back in April 21 (here) so this is Part II

In a nutshell, GTCW gives you control of all aspect of Civil War in a very immersive, historical and detailed environment. The originality of that game is that it gives both deep control of strategic and tactical level: you manage it all.

(in no specific order) From defining policies to build an economy to support war, to create and organsie armies and their command structure (in total freedom), to improve weapons, to manage diplomatic relation, to manage goods and trades, tax, liabilities, promote/demote officers, manage war on land, rivers and seas (fleets), manage supplies/supplies line, railroads, communication, fortifications, sieges... and of course battles... from deployment to fights, reinforcements ... basically everything and everything you could think of.

I am doing a new subject on this because on past 14 months since my first playthrough, the game has been significantly improved with massive (and visible) overhaul of AI, additional features, a brand new economic system... so the game (which is still considered an early access) is constantly improving. And the thing is all of these new features and changes are free.

This game is stunning and I am having a real blast playing it recently so wanted to share.

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Re: Grand Tactitian Civil War (Part II)

State of the Union in September 1861

So it is for me unusual to play on the Federal side and I am very surprised to really have a lot of fun and interest trying to keep Union in the states.

Strategic approach

When the secession starts following Abraham Lincoln election in fact the Federal side is not really prepare for war.

So my first concern has been to create and establish forces to on one hand, protect the capital, and, on the other hand, prepare an army in Indiana to invade Tennessee with a clear objective to take Memphis and Nashville by middle of 1862 while securing Missouri and Kentucky to remain part of Union or at least to not support CSA.

So in fact, I am defensive on the East and I prepare to be offensive on the West.

Policies

First the objective is to allow to raise armies, so i developed in few policies to favour militia and enrolment of volunteers for 24 months.
Then I started to try to invest in improving Industries to favour the manufacture of artillery and rifles.
At the same time I have invested in few infrastructures mostly to prepare hospitals and supply depot near what i could anticipate as combat zones.

This, and raising a bit more than 150k soldiers with some weapons investment has been achieved with a significant increase of national debt. So I am currently investing in policies to not deteriorate anymore an already fragile BBB- credit rating.

Armies

I have basically organsied a few armies with a little bit more than 150k soldiers fielded all over the counrty.
On the East I have pushed the rebels behind the Rappahanoc river. I have basically 3 armies:
  • Army of Potomac under command of General George McCllelan with about 50k soldiers around Mannassas which aims to cover Washington.
  • Army of Shenandoah under command of General Robert Patterson protect the access to Shenandoah valley through Winchester VA.
  • Army of West Virginia (newly formed) is a small Cavalry corp of around 7k under command of General Timothy Andrews and is preparing a flanking movement through Shenandoah to threaten and harass rebels supply lines.

On the West I raised around 50k soldiers under General Irvin McDowell which prepare an attack on Nashville, while a smaller force of about 8k under general Ambrose Burnside is threatening Memphis from Cairo IL.

At the same time General William Harney became famous while defeating rebels forces in Missouri with a small army of 20k soldiers securing St louis and preventing Missouri to join the confederation.

Fleets

On the seas I basically scraped the river capabiolity of the federal navy to reduce maintenance costs and focused on repairing vessels to impose blockade of the main southern harbours.

By September 1861, Norfolk is blocked while I am almost ready to send a couple of fleets to block Charleston and Savannah.

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace

Last edited by coachmac75; 06-17-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Surprise in Culpeper...

On September 21, three conferederate Corps under Command of Joseph E Johnston surprisingly attacks McCllelan near Culpeper in Virginia.

The rebels are fielding 100k soldiers with 251 canons starting the battle with 20k under General Hampton but the rest of the confederate troops are expected to join the battlefield within 12h.

McCllelan commands a bit more than 77k soldiers with 227 canons. But he only has his main force of around 50K soldiers and 130 canons.. and he needs to hold at least 24 hours to be reinforced by General Patterson Corp.

I deploy McCllelan troops around Chancellorsville pushing my left up to defend the Frederickburg road where scouts announce potential reinforcement for the Rebels.

The ground is mostly woods so a not so favourable ground for artillery. I expect a very difficult fight and bloody day.
I am trying to take advantage of the ground to basically use the few windows offered for artillery while anticipating where the rebels could come from.

My army had order to adopt a defensive stance so I have the benefit of some parapets... and here starts a long wiat for rebels, reinforcement and we expect bloody day(s) ahead of our troops.

If things go really wrong i can retreat but I would like to try to hold that ground a part of my troops have had battle experience.

Federal Order of battle

Note on Federal army structure: As i said the game gives total freedom on how you structure your armies. I inspired my structure from Napoleonic army structure even if at this stage of the campaign I have no yet developed policies to have armies/corps which would fully apply the Napoleonic organisation.

So I have only two "armies" one under McCllelan and one under Patterson (going forward these should be Corps under a same army).

Each army has multiple Infantry divisions.
Each Division has 4 brigades.
Each infantry brigade generally started with 2,400 soldiers.
Each division is as well supported by an artillery battalion of 240 men and 16 guns.

Then each army is supported by an artillery reserve composed of three battalion of 240 men and 16 guns each plus a cavalry brigade.

Worth to mention that we are after 5 months of war where we had few battles and affairs so troops do not have anymore their starting strength.

Worth to as well mention that i appointed all commanders for each single unit based on a remarkable and detailed Db having a huge list of real/historical officers each one having its own skills.

To finish regarding experience (because it matters) Army of Potomac has been through 5 or 6 battles including one "big" battle (45k vs 50k).
It will be the baptism of fire for Army of the Shenandoah...

Army of Potomac - MG George McClellan - 48,658 men 130 guns
  • 1st Division - MG Joseph Hooker - 10,340 and 31 Guns
    • US Regulars Brigade - Col C.Stone - 2,905
    • 1st Brigade - Col R.C.Buchanan - 2,733
    • 2nd Brigade - Col P.St George Cooke - 1,795
    • 3rd Brigade - Col G.A.McCall - 2,344
    • 1st Division 1st Battery - Lt. Col. C.E.Smith - 236 and 16 guns (10 Pds Parrott)
    • 1st Division 2nd Battery - Maj J.Gibbon - 237 and 15 guns (10 Pds Parrott)
  • 2nd Division - BG David Hunter - 7,535 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col A.Porter - 1,676
    • 2nd Brigade - BG Runyon - 1,371
    • 3rd Brigade - Col J.P.Hatch - 1,940
    • 4th Brigade - Col C.S.Hamilton - 2,391
    • 2nd Division Battery - Cpt W.H.Reynolds - 237 and 16 guns (14 pds James Rifle)
  • 3rd Division - BG William T Sherman - 9,394 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col S.H.Starr - 2,137
    • 2nd Brigade - Col W.R.Montgomery - 2,270
    • 3rd Brigade - Col G.Sykes - 2,657
    • 4th Brigade - Col S.B.Hayman - 2,033
    • 3rd Division Battery - Maj W.Morris - 231 and 16 guns (6pds)
  • 4th Division - MG Marsena R.Patrick - 9,483 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col H.W.Benham - 2,212
    • 2nd Brigade - Col J.G.Foster - 2,180
    • 3rd Brigade - Col C.S.Lovell - 2,364
    • 4th Brigade - Col R.G.Shaw - 2,496
    • 4th Division Battery - Cpt R.B.Ayres - 231 and 16 guns (12 pds Howitzer)
  • 5th Division - BG Samuel E.Heinztelman - 9,472 and 15 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col J.L.Chamberlain - 2,391
    • 2nd Brigade - Col H.Prince - 2,361
    • 3rd Brigade - Col N.A.M.Dudley - 2,380
    • 4th Brigade - Col A.Doubleday - 2,283
    • 5th Division Battery - Cpt G.W.Getty - 227 and 15 guns (6 pds)
  • Potomac Artillery Reserve - BG James B.Rickets - 535 and 36 Guns
    • 1st Battery - Cpt W.H.French - 211 and 14 guns (6 pds)
    • 2nd Battery - Cpt T.W.Sherman - 236 and 16 guns (6 pds)
    • 3rd Battery - Cpt W.E.Barry - 88 and 6 guns (12 pds howitzer)
  • Potomac Cavalery - Col A.Pleasonton - 2,049

Army of the Shenandoah - MG Robert Patterson - 28,644 men 96 guns
  • 1st Division - MG george Cadwallader - 7,612 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col G.H.Thomas - 1,091
    • 2nd Brigade - Col A.S.Williams - 1,223
    • 3rd Brigade - Col J.E.Reynolds - 2,538
    • 4th Brigade - Col A.Hays - 2,527
    • 1st Division Battery - Lt. Col. H.S.Burton - 233 and 16 guns (6 Pds)
  • 2nd Division - BG William H.Keim - 7,535 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col G.C.Wynkoop - 1,111
    • 2nd Brigade - Col J.S.Negley - 1,148
    • 3rd Brigade - Col G.G.Meade - 2,534
    • 4th Brigade - Col D.A****ssell - 2,510
    • 2nd Division Battery - Maj J.Roberts - 232 and 16 guns (6 pds)
  • 3rd Division - MG John E.Wool - 10,373 and 16 Guns
    • 1st Brigade - Col W.S.Hancock - 2,555
    • 2nd Brigade - Col T.Welsh - 2,538
    • 3rd Brigade - Col W.B.franklin - 2,544
    • 4th Brigade - Col F.Steele - 2,500
    • 3rd Division Battery - Cpt J.Hunt - 236 and 16 guns (6pds)
  • Shenandoah Artillery Reserve - MG Fitz J.Porter - 700 and 48 Guns
    • 1st Battery - Cpt D.N.Couch - 234 and 16 guns (6 pds)
    • 2nd Battery - Cpt J.Totten - 231 and 16 guns (6 pds)
    • 3rd Battery - Cpt E.O.C.Ord - 235 and 16 guns (12 pds howitzer)
  • Shenandoah Cavalry - Col David Mcm.Gregg - 2,424

So a long wait for Jonny Rebs is starting...

Last edited by coachmac75; 06-18-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:18 PM   #4
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

This is fun. I really enjoy the American Civil War and loved the old Civil War Generals 2 game. I have had this game on my wishlist for a while, but work through my game backlog very slowly.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:10 AM   #5
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
This is fun. I really enjoy the American Civil War and loved the old Civil War Generals 2 game. I have had this game on my wishlist for a while, but work through my game backlog very slowly.
It is definitely a masterpiece.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #6
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Day I - 16:00

The battle started at 14:20 which is already quite late for a main action on this first day.

We are in September the battle end should be around 20:00.

Enemy is coming from Greenwood but, early on, it is only Hampton division with an approximate strength of 20,000 soldiers.
The AI is deploying in front of us and smartly does not engage any action.
Hampton deploys his division around Chancellorsville.

We prevent any fire from our artillery. Our army already had an affair a couple of days ago and is only partially supplied so we need to keep our ammunition for the main action.

General Sherman covers the woods on our left with 3 brigades deployed in battle and another brigade in reserve.
The skirmishers are pushed and enemy has pushed his skirmishers as well but so far no contact.
In the middle, we have deployed our artillery since it is the only place where we have clear sight on the probable enemy way for attack.

On the right Hunter division covers the Orange plank road flanked with Pleasonton cavalry.
If no activity keeps behing reported on the right this division could move to threaten the enemy flank if they would attack our centre from Chancelorsville.

On our left flank, Hentzeilman division is slightly distached covering Fredericksburg road where scout have reported enemy could come from. That is actually our main weakness if a massive force would come from there. This is as well where our own reinforcement are expected... But they should not show up until late Day 2.
So we keep our best division under Hooker in reserve.

I expect the AI to wait its reinforcements which should arrive at night... On our end we dont engage any action. We hold a solid position and we control the objective.
So the main action should be for second day once the rebels get their full strength deployed... we will then be outnumbered 1 vs 2.

Old 06-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 8

Really good write-ups. These kinds of things always get me interested in buying a game.

Are there any mods to extend the action beyond the actual civil war end date? 4x war games are among my favorite genres but I always hate racing against a clock.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #8
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Not that I am awarre but this is truly an amazing masterpiece i consider it trully and simply the best wargame ever made by 10 miles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »