Home

Top Spin 4 Review [NY Post] Career Mode Not Deep

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Review [NY Post] Career Mode Not Deep within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Top Spin 4 Review [NY Post] Career Mode Not Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallberries
the ny post review said that the online tour is limited to pro players. Does that mean the game's "real" pro players? If so I'll be disappointed. It'll get old playing as the same dozen guys, and online tourneys will likely be severely limited in size. I mean, who will wanna be stuck playing as Giles Simon or Stanislav Warwrinka? NOT! Instead, I fear we'll see tourneys with 5 Feds, 4 Nadals, 6 Agassis, etc. And there's not enough females to have even an 8-player draw, so I suppose they get thrown in with the men. Lame. Lack of variety, lack of a real tournament atmosphere. No thanks. I just hope NY post is wrong or I'm misundertanding things.

Having said all that, online plays second fiddle to a robust single-player mode for me. If it's not deep, it's no buy. I'll wait for more reviews, but as somebody mentioned, EA has a tennis game coming out, which I completely forgot about. I can wait to see if that's any good.
Like I sort of mentioned in my previous post, according to the guy from NY Post, it sounds like he says the career mode isn't deep but then goes on to talk about how it's pretty deep. I don't really know what more you could ask for in career mode?

Regarding the online play, it sounds like there's two types of tournaments. The one where you play as your created player in an actual tournament, and the one where you play as your favorite pro in individual matches to move the pro up the leaderboards. I think EA does something like this with FIFA if I remember right.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Like I sort of mentioned in my previous post, according to the guy from NY Post, it sounds like he says the career mode isn't deep but then goes on to talk about how it's pretty deep. I don't really know what more you could ask for in career mode?

Regarding the online play, it sounds like there's two types of tournaments. The one where you play as your created player in an actual tournament, and the one where you play as your favorite pro in individual matches to move the pro up the leaderboards. I think EA does something like this with FIFA if I remember right.
we should all step back and try to understand where the reviewer was coming from. His main gripe was that he "would have liked to see more RPG-elements in the Career Mode".

I would be disappointed too, If I was expecting to take Serena Williams on the overworld map and fight monsters on my path to each tournament, anticipating having Rafa Nadal enchant his tennis racket with a magic spell or sending "Vintage" Agassi on fetch quests for NPC's. I mean I can't fault him for turning on a tennis game and being letdown when it didn't play like an RPG...

Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #11

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
we should all step back and try to understand where the reviewer was coming from. His main gripe was that he "would have liked to see more RPG-elements in the Career Mode".

I would be disappointed too, If I was expecting to take Serena Williams on the overworld map and fight monsters on my path to each tournament, anticipating having Rafa Nadal enchant his tennis racket with a magic spell or sending "Vintage" Agassi on fetch quests for NPC's. I mean I can't fault him for turning on a tennis game and being letdown when it didn't play like an RPG...
Kinda my point, although obviously you exaggerated it a little bit lol. According to 2K, you get to play for sponsorships, and can select to do this:
"4. Extra-tennis activities - If you want to be more popular, take part in Jet-set parties, TV shows or interviews. But if you prefer to earn more XPs, physical training in the mountains or two weeks of hydrotherapy could be a better use for your time."
That seems pretty RPG-like to me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/reviews...-4?o=0#listing

This review is simply terrible. This guy thinks it's the exact same as Top Spin 3. Why the hell do they get guys to review a game who nitpicks the stupidest thing and he even admits it's a minor thing (the crowd cheering prematurely for a winner.) and totally ignore all other aspects of the game. He even admits the career mode is great and the presentation is much better yet trashes the game because of a minor thing and gives it a 6\10 and says it's merely a minor update from Top Spin 3. Has he even played Top Spin 3? That career mode was horrible and presentation was crap and online was a mess. What a moron.
@ the bolded: it's actually something that happens a lot during real matches (which this guy would know if he actually watched tennis) and adds to the realism of the game. I guess if TS had added Kinect, even if it was crappy, this guy would've given a higher score. Guy obviously doesn't watch tennis nor know enough about it to know why this game is so much different from TS3.

Also, just checked this guys review history...he criticizes TS4 as being the same game, while giving Rock Band 3 a 9.1...yeah....

Also he called FIFA 11 (which is a good game don't get me wrong) "More of the same, done a bit better." and gave it a 9.1.

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/9433/fifa-11

Last edited by rangerrick012; 03-15-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
@ the bolded: it's actually something that happens a lot during real matches (which this guy would know if he actually watched tennis) and adds to the realism of the game. I guess if TS had added Kinect, even if it was crappy, this guy would've given a higher score. Guy obviously doesn't watch tennis nor know enough about it to know why this game is so much different from TS3.
This. TS4 is the first tennis game I've ever played where I've had to use other kinds of shots besides just hitting the A button.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 24

http://www.lazygamer.net/top-spin-4-reviewed/

Not overly long but a glowing review by a reviewer who is actually a tennis fan and raves about the career mode and everything else. He obviously played career mode with just tiebreakers to get deep into it. He actually had it at medium and was getting spanked and had to lower it to easy to be competitive. He's probably not the best gamer but since there are 3 skill levels above medium I don;t think this game will get too easy anytime soon. No word on unforced errors and fatigue yet though.

I'm getting pumped.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 03-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40

Just read through the review and this guy must not have played the game that long.

I think when he is saying career mode isn't deep is that it's repetitive. And it is, but most career modes are. It's still damn fun and nowhere near as bad as the lack of depth the Fight Night career modes tend to have (Haven't played FNC yet so it might have changed).

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics

Last edited by DustinT; 03-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Rookie

DarkNowitzki78's Arena

OVR: 0

What i can say so far is this...ive got the game yesterday, jumped into the carrer with a created player on the hard difficulty, (remember there is also a very hard difficulty and a expert difficulty to unlock). Im current leveld up my player to stage 19 out of 20 and ranked in the world leaderboard on rank 32. My player is a youngun and i havent accompished to win 2 Masters yet to become the staus of a star, only one so far and it was very hard to win it. And not to forget i play my first carrer with the Top Spin settings, that means you play most of the time the supertiebreak and in the masters one set with 3 games. So much to the depth of the carrer mode.

I dont know how long it will take to become the number one in the world but i think very long, cause everytime i face players ranked in the top 10, it is a nailbiter. The level your player is leveld up means not that much. Sure, when you play against a bum on level 5 or something, you have a big advantage but every player higher than 12 will give you a challenge, specially if youre not playing with your full concentration. And that it is what this game makes so brilliant. You have to be smart all the time and forced to think.

The next carrer, when i finished the first will be on very hard and real tennis settings. My very first game was a Match Becker (me) against Agassi with two winning sets. I lost the first, and won the second and third. Only this Match took 1:11 hour. Imagine you play Grand Slam where you have to win three sets against Nadal or some like his caliber and you go over 5 sets and sure will need the double amount of time lol. So, its easy to say the depth of the carrer is to low when you play on very easy and rush through the matches in supertiebreaks lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »