Home

Tennis Grudge Match - Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4

This is a discussion on Tennis Grudge Match - Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4 within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tennis Grudge Match - Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4

We've been graced with two current tennis titles this spring, each with different features, functionality and focuses. Both series have been around for a while -- each is on its fourth iteration. On one side of the court is Virtua Tennis 4, an arcade-focused title that's been around since the Dreamcast. On the other side, Top Spin 4, 2K's tennis sim and remnant of the XSN Sports brand. So who comes out on top in this showdown?

Read More - Tennis Grudge Match: Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 11
Why isn't Wimbledon in the game? Do you think that it is because the license cost is too much? I don't think it is because they wouldn't sell the rights because I remember it was Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Is it just me but the players in Top Spin look like zombies or ghosts? I don't hear anyone else mention this but I have the PS3 version and I'm not at all impressed with the player models. The created player is even worse. Even though there are a lot of options my player comes out looking ******** no matter what I do. The faces have a bluish hue to them and look sickly and pale. I know this doesn't kill the game, it's just something I can't get past. I haven't played the new Virtua Tennis but the old Dreamcast version had more realistic player models than Top Spin.

Top Spin 3 was a horrible game. I bought it on clearance for like $5 and it probably wasn't worth that. Top Spin 4 fixed the gameplay issues but did very little to fix the player models. It looks almost exactly the same. Creepy is putting it lightly. I know Tennis is not a high priority in sports games because there isn't much of a fan base but they could give it a better effort in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr326
Why isn't Wimbledon in the game? Do you think that it is because the license cost is too much? I don't think it is because they wouldn't sell the rights because I remember it was Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2.
IIRC, EA bought exclusive rights to Wimbledon when they were going to make Grand Slam Tennis. Not sure how long it's for or what but I agree...it sucks not having my favorite tourney in the game.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8
Any comments on Top Spin post-patch? That patch seems to have divided alot of players with regards to Top Spin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Tennis Grudge Match - Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
Any comments on Top Spin post-patch? That patch seems to have divided alot of players with regards to Top Spin.
I still love the game.

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics
Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 AM   #7
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5
Dustin accurately mentioned it twice: " It is the most realistic sports game made to date", "2K did a wonderful job in creating arguably the greatest sports sim to date".This is the truth.
After patch and balancing updates game is nearly a perfect 10.Even those who initially didn't like the last balancing update, now are having more fun with this great tennis sim.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 33
I initially liked Top Spin 4. 2K released the most rounded & polished tennis sim to date. The gamebreaker for me though was the lack of offline multiplayer modes. Other than single games there is nothing here. A shame because the game would be a real blast playing with friends in a tournament.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »