Home

Top Spin 4 Vs. Grand Slam Tennis 2

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 Vs. Grand Slam Tennis 2 within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Top Spin 4 Vs. Grand Slam Tennis 2

So I was wanting to get a Tennis game for my ps3. And I've seen positives for both game when doing some research online. My main Q is which one has the better, deeper career mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Top Spin 4 Vs. Grand Slam Tennis 2

Top Spin 4 by most accounts.

Others have mentioned the fact that GST2's career mode starts off incredibly easy according to reviews.
http://www.gamespot.com/grand-slam-t...eview-6350027/

Personally I'm still playing TS4's career mode and I've had the game for well over a year now. It has it's flaws, but the combination of being able to progress from minor events to earn your way into the majors, along with the special events outside of the tourneys, add to the experience. Only drawback is tourneys not being full rounds, i.e. Grand Slams being 5 rounds instead of 7 and smaller tourneys being 3 or 4 rounds instead of 5 or 6 like they are in real life.

Last edited by rangerrick012; 07-11-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Rookie

ProbieByKO's Arena

OVR: 4

First of all, Top Spin 4 is a great game. I bought it when it came out and played it for months. The career mode is fairly deep and the create a player is excellent.
After months of playing I was ready to move on and I bought GST2, and even though many people have knocked it, I feel it is a great game in it's own right.

Sure, the gradually increasing difficulty for career mode can be a drag, but I've solved this issue by not playing any grand slams until year 3 when it becomes challenging.

Playing GST2 on superstar is great, as the computer will actually make unforced errors and give you a good challenge.

As far as online goes, both games are actually really good.

I realize this is all just my opinion and I really haven't gone into great detail, but they are both good games if you like tennis.

I'd give Top Spin 4 the nod for realism and career mode, so if you're an offline gamer maybe start there, but be warned that although Top Spin is awesome, the learning curve is pretty steep and it will take you awhile to get good at it.
GST@ has great graphics, McEnroe, Wimbledon and is great if you play career mode as I suggested (skipping grand slams for the first couple of years)
GST2 is a little more on the arcady side as well, but great fun.

I really enjoy both.
Toronto Blue Jays (2005- )
Toronto Raptors
Toronto FC

Last edited by ProbieByKO; 07-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

Great thread and right on time for me because I'm on the market for a tennis game.

A few years ago, I decided I wanted a Tennis video and started scouting them out and playing a few demos, I decided to get Virtua Tennis, which turned out to be a great choice due to it's easy to pick up arcade gameplay, nice graphics and simple career mode, the $4 price tag was hard to beat also. But at this point, I've out grown the game and want to play something more sim.

I've played the Top Spin 4 and Grand Slam 2 Demos and I can't really call it. I've read people singing the praises of Top Spin 4, praising it's gameplay, it's career and it's realism. People have said that the matches regularly reach up to 90 minutes, which for some reason seems like a real plus to me.

When it comes to Grand Slam 2, opinions have ranged from "It's the worst tennis game ever" to "it's ok" and a few people saying its great.

I'm not sure where to go when it comes to my Tennis dollars.

After watching Wimbledon, I want to play in Wimbledon, not the Dublin Open. (at least Virtua Tennis' Wimbledon replacement looks like Wimbledon).

EA's 10 year career seems too short for me...I'm leaning towards Top Spin 4 though.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Rookie

I can tell you right now top spin 4 hands down. The quality of depth within aae is tremendous. What type of shot and positioning is actually a factor in TS4. Grad Slam 2 is arcade to the ore n my opinion. What made mr give pn GST2 is a match I had with a friend first day i got it we volleyed bacan forth altleast 15-20 straight times didnt it the ground once. C' mon now that's lame and I havnt played it since. Went out and bought TS4 he next day. Never played a tennis game better!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Rookie

ProbieByKO's Arena

OVR: 4

Update:The more I play GST2, the more I like it.

After playing Top Spin 4 for months, I decided to give GST2 a try, seeing as there won't in all likelihood be a new Top Spin until next-gen.

I really think people need to give GST2 a chance in career mode, despite the poorly thought out difficulty progression. I read about being able to win all the Grand Slams in year one because the game was so easy, and then the ridiculous difficulty jump after year 3 where getting a point was a challenge.

Knowing all this going in, but still eager for a new tennis game, I started career mode with the following game-plan:

I spent year 1 and 2 training, playing exhibitions, and the occasional pre-tournament. I didn't enter any Grand Slams because I wanted to save them until they presented a challenge. As I was doing this I also played the occasional ESPN Grand Slam Classics Match on pro difficulty in order to prepare myself for how the cpu would play in years 3-4 of Career Mode.

As I've progressed into years 4 and beyond in my career many of the licensed pros are still rated way above me (75-85) compared to my 65 to 75 player, but I've noticed some positive stuff.

-the cpu on superstar difficulty in Career Mode actually makes unforced errors if you make them work (hits the net, hits the ball out and faults on serves) and reacts more like a tennis player would in certain situations. The Career I started has become engaging and challenging as I now strive to win those Grand Slams and rank up.

The game play is surprisingly better on superstar difficulty against the AI. The Career Mode is not especially deep (wish it were 20 years like Top Spin 4, and had some RPG elements like Virtua Tennis 4) but I am really enjoying it.

ESPN Classics Mode is a great mode for tennis fans/historians when played on superstar also, and unlike anything in the competitor's tennis videogames.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that GST2 is worth a try, especially now that the price has dropped substantially.

Not quite as seasoned as Top Spin, but it is a very good game.
Toronto Blue Jays (2005- )
Toronto Raptors
Toronto FC

Last edited by ProbieByKO; 07-19-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Pro

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting TS4, but I really haven't played it yet. I'm waiting until I have a day off from work & can put some serious time into it. When I noticed that TS4 was a 2K Sports game that made my decision much easier.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbieByKO
Update:The more I play GST2, the more I like it.

After playing Top Spin 4 for months, I decided to give GST2 a try, seeing as there won't in all likelihood be a new Top Spin until next-gen.

I really think people need to give GST2 a chance in career mode, despite the poorly thought out difficulty progression. I read about being able to win all the Grand Slams in year one because the game was so easy, and then the ridiculous difficulty jump after year 3 where getting a point was a challenge.

Knowing all this going in, but still eager for a new tennis game, I started career mode with the following game-plan:

I spent year 1 and 2 training, playing exhibitions, and the occasional pre-tournament. I didn't enter any Grand Slams because I wanted to save them until they presented a challenge. As I was doing this I also played the occasional ESPN Grand Slam Classics Match on pro difficulty in order to prepare myself for how the cpu would play in years 3-4 of Career Mode.

As I've progressed into years 4 and beyond in my career many of the licensed pros are still rated way above me (75-85) compared to my 65 to 75 player, but I've noticed some positive stuff.

-the cpu on superstar difficulty in Career Mode actually makes unforced errors if you make them work (hits the net, hits the ball out and faults on serves) and reacts more like a tennis player would in certain situations. The Career I started has become engaging and challenging as I now strive to win those Grand Slams and rank up.

The game play is surprisingly better on superstar difficulty against the AI. The Career Mode is not especially deep (wish it were 20 years like Top Spin 4, and had some RPG elements like Virtua Tennis 4) but I am really enjoying it.

ESPN Classics Mode is a great mode for tennis fans/historians when played on superstar also, and unlike anything in the competitor's tennis videogames.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that GST2 is worth a try, especially now that the price has dropped substantially.

Not quite as seasoned as Top Spin, but it is a very good game.
I'm in my Year 4 in the career mode in GS2. I was warned that the difficulty was gonna be really hard. I'm really surprised how easy it is now. As long as you use your drop shot wisely, you'll be fine. I mean, you will lose some games, but there's no way you'll lose a set, let alone a match.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »