Home

What would have you done with Bret Hart in 1997.

This is a discussion on What would have you done with Bret Hart in 1997. within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

OVR: 15
What would have you done with Bret Hart in 1997.

For those of you who have watched Wrestling With Shadows or know of the story.
The reason Vince did not offer Bret a contract was because in his view there was nothing more creatively he could do with Bret (and the fact the company was on it's *** finacially) and I was thinking what could he do with Bret at the time?
He feuded with almost everyone who had heat at the time: Taker, HBK, Austin, Shamrock and Sid.
I would like to hear your views, what would you have done with Bret in the fall of 1997?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: What would have you done with Bret Hart in 1997.

He could've gotten guys over until the Attitude era boomed. Then he could have feuded with Austin again, feuded with The Rock, joined the corporate, convince Owen to not join the nation, etc..
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I was gonna say Vader from looking at Survivor Series '97 but looked at the show before it and I guess they had just done that? Could've done a Hart Foundation vs. N.o.D thing or did they do that too? I thought they did it after Bret left. JJ possibly? Not sure where he was at then.

Looking at all these old events they had about 1/8 of what they have to work with now and I'm not just talking number of wrestlers.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

He was leaving for WCW, I would of let survivor series be a DQ, I would of built up the match in Ottawa the next night and I would of had him drop the title 8 days after survivor series fairly in a way he agreed with in the United States where he was hated at the time. As much as he wanted to forfeit the title that would not be a good thing at all for the company. HBK forfeited the IC title in 95, he forfeited the world title in 97, Austin would essentially forfeit the IC title in late 98 to go after the world title. I think another forfeit of the world title in the same calendar year would of hurt it's credibility back when being a champion meant something and the title actually LOOKED like a world title. Therefore I would have somebody somehow pin bret in the middle of the ring for the 3 and let him move on where he could go and end up being miserable and misused in the WCW because they had no clue what the hell they were doing and proved that in the end.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
MVP

vernond's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOL
For those of you who have watched Wrestling With Shadows or know of the story.
The reason Vince did not offer Bret a contract was because in his view there was nothing more creatively he could do with Bret (and the fact the company was on it's *** finacially) and I was thinking what could he do with Bret at the time?
He feuded with almost everyone who had heat at the time: Taker, HBK, Austin, Shamrock and Sid.
I would like to hear your views, what would you have done with Bret in the fall of 1997?
Actually Bret was under contract, he was a year into his 20 year deal. Vince didn't think he was worth the money he was paying him anymore so he wanted Bret to leave.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJ
He was leaving for WCW, I would of let survivor series be a DQ, I would of built up the match in Ottawa the next night and I would of had him drop the title 8 days after survivor series fairly in a way he agreed with in the United States where he was hated at the time.
I was of the impression that Hart's WWF contract expired just after Survivor Series (or after the Raw immediately following it)...? In which case, he wouldn't have been around to drop the title eight days later.

I honestly wouldn't have changed things from how they happened originally to be honest. Without the Montreal Screwjob, there's no spark for the creation of the Mr. McMahon character, which is one half of what made the Stone Cold - McMahon rivalry so great and what really set the 'E apart during the Attitude Era.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 20

I always thought that Bret in the Attitude Era would end up like Bob Backlund. Take a backseat to the new, more colorful characters and end up fading away.

There would've been a lot for him to do with all the new faces at the top. HHH, Rock, Foley...even mid carders like Shamrock and Jarrett. Even a new feud where Austin gets his win back could've worked. There wouldn't be a shortage of stuff for him to do, but I do doubt if Vince Russo, even with Vince's help, could've pulled it off. Which is why I think he would've faded away.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37

I would have done a DQ at Survivor Series and then have HBK demand a rematch the next night on Raw and Hart drop the title then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »