Home

Who is the best wrestler of alltime?

This is a discussion on Who is the best wrestler of alltime? within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Who is the best wrestler of alltime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
If we're talking the overall package I have to go with Ric Flair and it's not even close.

This is how I would grade Flair in the five big categories:

In-ring skills: A-
Work rate: A
Mic skills: A+
Marketability: A
Longevity: A+

Hogan's in-ring ability and work rate are both a C+ or B- at best which is why I couldn't pick him.

Agreed. If it's going to be "best overall" then I think Flair and HBK were the best.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Agreed. If it's going to be "best overall" then I think Flair and HBK were the best.
Michaels injury history is the deciding factor then. He missed more than 6 years worth of his prime years due to injuries, unfortunately. He also wasn't in Flair's league on the mic, but very few, if any, ever were. Whoooooo!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

My top 6

Ric Flair
Hulk Hogan
HBK
Triple H
Chris Jericho (very underrated)
Kurt Angle

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Definitely for me HBK, could make any match entertaining no matter the opponent or situation. I also enjoy Triple H, really good on the mic especially during his DX years and good wrestler
Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Michaels injury history is the deciding factor then. He missed more than 6 years worth of his prime years due to injuries, unfortunately. He also wasn't in Flair's league on the mic, but very few, if any, ever were. Whoooooo!
True. Injuries definitely derailed his career. Makes it all the more impressive, considering anything he did after 1997.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

In trying to figure out the "best ever" these are the categories I could think of. What do you guys think?

In-ring performance: Using ring psychology to sell a match. People like Austin, Cena, etc. may not have the most ability, but they can put on good matches with limited ability thanks to their proficiency in working a match and because people care and are invested.
Charisma: The ability to play your character well and work a mic (if needed). The Rock is the epitome of this.
In-ring ability: Actual wrestling ability. Someone like Dolph Ziggler or Daniel Bryan would score high here.
Accolades: Streaks, records, title reigns (both number and length), Rumble, KOTR and MITB wins, etc. all go into this category.
Overness: Whether you’re cheered or boo’d this is a measure of simply how much the fans care about you. You can be charismatic and not over, but more likely the reverse will be true.
Memorable Moments: Separate from accolades, these are simply moments that will live on long after a wrestler is gone and are etched in wrestling history. The Montreal screwjob, the corporate beer bath, Hogan slamming Andre, the formation of the NWO, Foley going through the cell, etc.
Longevity: How long you have stuck around and what you have done in that time. Taker has always been a Main Eventer whereas someone like Matt Hardy has been around forever given many shots, feuds, gimmicks, etc. but has never been able to break through and do something meaningful during his time in the WWE (save his tag team accomplishments).
Consistency: People who take little time off and come to work every night ready to go. You know you are going to get quality on the mic and in the ring from these guys. People like Jericho (who ironically is off right this moment) and Punk (who even injured is still working!) would score high whereas someone like Taker would score low due to his massive vacations.
Versatility: The ability to work a match with anyone, work an angle with anyone, move throughout the card seamlessly. Jericho is a great example of someone who can play face or heel, work solo or tag team, be the opening match, or the main event.
Impact: Your mark on wrestling whether it’s on your show, in wrestling as a whole, or in the greater realm of pop culture. Some people carry their brand (Cena, Austin, etc.) some transcend wrestling (Hogan, The Rock), and some have simply changed the landscape of wrestling in other ways (HHH).
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 55

Again, Ric Flair would be the only guy ever to score at least an A- in every one of those categories.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #24
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
In trying to figure out the "best ever" these are the categories I could think of. What do you guys think?

In-ring performance: Using ring psychology to sell a match. People like Austin, Cena, etc. may not have the most ability, but they can put on good matches with limited ability thanks to their proficiency in working a match and because people care and are invested.
Charisma: The ability to play your character well and work a mic (if needed). The Rock is the epitome of this.
In-ring ability: Actual wrestling ability. Someone like Dolph Ziggler or Daniel Bryan would score high here.
Accolades: Streaks, records, title reigns (both number and length), Rumble, KOTR and MITB wins, etc. all go into this category.
Overness: Whether you’re cheered or boo’d this is a measure of simply how much the fans care about you. You can be charismatic and not over, but more likely the reverse will be true.
Memorable Moments: Separate from accolades, these are simply moments that will live on long after a wrestler is gone and are etched in wrestling history. The Montreal screwjob, the corporate beer bath, Hogan slamming Andre, the formation of the NWO, Foley going through the cell, etc.
Longevity: How long you have stuck around and what you have done in that time. Taker has always been a Main Eventer whereas someone like Matt Hardy has been around forever given many shots, feuds, gimmicks, etc. but has never been able to break through and do something meaningful during his time in the WWE (save his tag team accomplishments).
Consistency: People who take little time off and come to work every night ready to go. You know you are going to get quality on the mic and in the ring from these guys. People like Jericho (who ironically is off right this moment) and Punk (who even injured is still working!) would score high whereas someone like Taker would score low due to his massive vacations.
Versatility: The ability to work a match with anyone, work an angle with anyone, move throughout the card seamlessly. Jericho is a great example of someone who can play face or heel, work solo or tag team, be the opening match, or the main event.
Impact: Your mark on wrestling whether it’s on your show, in wrestling as a whole, or in the greater realm of pop culture. Some people carry their brand (Cena, Austin, etc.) some transcend wrestling (Hogan, The Rock), and some have simply changed the landscape of wrestling in other ways (HHH).
The best I've ever seen from the following categories:

In Ring Performance: I would go with Ric Flair, closely followed by HBK.

Charisma: Hogan. The Rock, Flair, and Austin are close but no one pulled off face/heel so seamlessly as Hogan did.

In Ring Ability: Ricky Steamboat. Although as far as major wrestlers, Bret Hart a bit before he really got huge.

Overness: Hogan...followed by Austin/The Rock. No other names need to be mentioned with these three and I grew up in Charlotte during the NWA/WCW's heyday. The fame level was just on another plane.

Accolades: Hogan. Again, I grew up on Ric Flair, but Hogan was the perennial World Champion for both the WWF and WCW.

Memorable Moments: Hogan. Again Austin/Rock are on his trail but Hogan is ahead of those guys.

Longevity: Ric Flair.

Consistency: The Undertaker. Kept his character extremely over, his feuds are almost always successful for both parties, and he's carried awful wrestlers while making classics with the great ones.

Versatility: In the ring, I'm going to go with Sting here. His incredible strength meant he could be a power wrestler. He showed some technical ability and could be a high flyer as well. Jericho overall though as well as Randy Savage.

Impact: Hogan. Not even close. Austin and The Rock may have been more popular and transcended into pop culture. Hogan showed you it could be done in the first place.

As you can see to me....it comes down to a Flair/Hogan debate. I simply think Hogan's accomplishments, aura, and impact are so great, that it's hard to put anyone over him.

Flair is more well-rounded and Austin and The Rock came in a did everything just a bit bigger and better than Hogan. But I don't think they leave the kind of legacy Hogan did.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »