Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #3505
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Don't a lot of the MMA fighters not in the drawing class of Conor or Rousey (she makes a lot, right?) depend on the bonuses that they give out on some cards? (Like "fight of the night" for example)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #3506
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I can't wait till Sunday for this to be over. I've enjoyed the conversation surrounding the fights, but I'm over it.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 08-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #3507
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Don't a lot of the MMA fighters not in the drawing class of Conor or Rousey (she makes a lot, right?) depend on the bonuses that they give out on some cards? (Like "fight of the night" for example)
I think the lower class in boxing is no different than the lower class in MMA. Take a look at this:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/5/5...her-guarantees

The highest someone received on the prelims was 25k. You could argue that the UFC treats their undercard fighters better because the lowest you typically see is 12k to win and 12k to show (24k) and those fighters have a chance to win FON bonuses and other discretionary bonuses.

The problem for the UFC is the middle class. They arent willing to pay middle class (named fighters who while known may not be able to headline a PPV) big money. For example, Lucas Mattysshe got 200k. An MMA fighter who is a good comparison is Cub Swanson. Cub has headlined multiple UFc cards but has never been a champ. He got 50/50 for his last fight which isnt bad for MMA but doesnt compare to how people in boxing get paid.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #3508
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Elite boxers make far more than elite MMA fighters. There are at least eight boxers who make mid- to high seven figures or more every time they step between the ropes: Mayweather, Pacquiao, Klitschko (now retired), Joshua, Cotto, Ward, Canelo, GGG. It won't be long before Crawford is in that region, either.

The biggest difference in purses in boxing and MMA is that boxing has almost no middle class. Superstars make seven figures or higher per bout, and nearly everyone else is at five figures or lower. There are a few guys who are in the six-figure range per bout, such as Crawford, Chocolatito, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Mikey Garcia. But the vast majority of boxers make five figures or less per bout because the sport's pay structure is so top-heavy.

MMA has more of a middle class of fighters because the top-tier guys don't make nearly as much as elite boxers.
After my last post, I just noticed PK pretty much explained it better than me.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #3509
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Last point: Its funny how people use the Diaz fight as an example of Conor having no gas tank. I always thought that was a lazy *** analysis.

Nate Diaz has perhaps one of the best chins in the world. He's fought 22 times in the UFC fighting the best in the world and he's been KO'd once (and that was from a head kick). Now how that relates to Conor's stamina is that in both fights the pace of that fight was high. Conor was throwing more strikes and heavier strikes than he ever has and he was facing a guy who could take that punishment and survive. Thats not even factoring the grappling (which is one of the most tiring activities in combat sports).

Unless Floyd COMPLETELY changes his gameplan from what he normally does, the pace wont be that high. If anything, Floyd will be even more conservative because his 50-0 and the biggest upset in combat sports history would be on the line. Thats why my money is on either a decision or a late KO similar to the Hatton loss if Conor decides to go for broke toward the end.
Punch Stats (Mayweather vs Berto):
Landed/Thrown-
Mayweather 232/410 (56%)
Berto 83/495 (16%)

Power Punches Landed/Thrown-
Mayweather 132/196 (67%)
Berto 39/177 (22%)

Take it FWIW, but I watched this fight and I thought Berto outworked Floyd the whole fight. I'm shocked to look at the numbers now and realize that Floyd threw that many punches.

Don't assume that the pace is going to be some slow waltz to protect his record. Floyd danced against Manny because he feared him and knew that Manny could put multiple punch combos together.

I don't think Floyd fears Conor in the least. Boxers are used to taking punches moreso than MMA fighters who have to worry about other factors which is why striking is often a secondary part of their training (or so I've heard).

Conor looked completely gassed in his media workout. Do you disagree? No one hit him.

My prediction is that Conor comes out and completely tries to bully Floyd and may win an early round or 2. But after Round 5, Conor will be a sitting duck and easy target practice.

It'll be a Floyd KO if Conor's touches the canvas and is too winded to continue.
But I expect a TKO when Conor is dead tired and can't even raise his hands to defend himself after an onslaught of accurate punches.

Not the same power, but I expect this to play out like Mayweather vs. Gatti. Floyd will look to embarrass Conor as they get into the latter rounds. It'll be nothing but pot shots.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #3510
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Punch Stats (Mayweather vs Berto):
Landed/Thrown-
Mayweather 232/410 (56%)
Berto 83/495 (16%)

Power Punches Landed/Thrown-
Mayweather 132/196 (67%)
Berto 39/177 (22%)

Take it FWIW, but I watched this fight and I thought Berto outworked Floyd the whole fight. I'm shocked to look at the numbers now and realize that Floyd threw that many punches.

Don't assume that the pace is going to be some slow waltz to protect his record. Floyd danced against Manny because he feared him and knew that Manny could put multiple punch combos together.

I don't think Floyd fears Conor in the least. Boxers are used to taking punches moreso than MMA fighters who have to worry about other factors which is why striking is often a secondary part of their training (or so I've heard).

Conor looked completely gassed in his media workout. Do you disagree? No one hit him.

My prediction is that Conor comes out and completely tries to bully Floyd and may win an early round or 2. But after Round 5, Conor will be a sitting duck and easy target practice.

It'll be a Floyd KO if Conor's touches the canvas and is too winded to continue.
But I expect a TKO when Conor is dead tired and can't even raise his hands to defend himself after an onslaught of accurate punches.

Not the same power, but I expect this to play out like Mayweather vs. Gatti. Floyd will look to embarrass Conor as they get into the latter rounds. It'll be nothing but pot shots.
not fearing conor might be the biggest mistake he makes.....what IF conor is hard to hit? IF conor goes defense first and waits to counter just like floyd? seeing as conor probably knows there is no way he can outbox floyd, he may just take his chances with a well placed counter punch as opposed to punch volume....
Old 08-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #3511
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I can't wait till Sunday for this to be over. I've enjoyed the conversation surrounding the fights, but I'm over it.
and then we can start talking about a real fight with canelo and GGG....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #3512
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
not fearing conor might be the biggest mistake he makes.....what IF conor is hard to hit? IF conor goes defense first and waits to counter just like floyd? seeing as conor probably knows there is no way he can outbox floyd, he may just take his chances with a well placed counter punch as opposed to punch volume....
Have you seen McGregor's head movement and footwork in his training videos? Golden Gloves level, at best.

Saying McGregor's defense will neuter one of the most accurate punchers of this generation is like saying an NCAA Division III defense will shut down Alabama's offense or Sam Darnold's passing attack at USC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »