Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #3497
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
He will do what he does in his MMA fights. He will pressure with forward movement and look to counter. He wont use heavy volume and he will clinch alot when he gets in close. When he's inside, he will attempt to rough up Floyd in the clinch. He will hope that Floyd does attempt to lead and try to catch him with hard counters.

What cracks me up is people act like Conor doesnt use head movement. I'm working on a project where I've had to watch hundreds of fights over the last few months. I watched every Conor fight since his UFC debut. One of the things I had to document was how often he uses head movement vs. blocking vs. lunges.

My very rudimentary numbers have him using head movement 65% when a strike is thrown at him. In fact, one of his favorite strikes is a lean back counter where he leans back from a straight jab or cross and counters with a quick counter. 25% of the time he's using lunges to defend.

So to act like Conor hasnt spent years training using head movement or foot movement is comical.

Now if your point is that it isnt on an elite boxer level or that its not on Floyd's level....sure but thats ****ing obvious.

Last point: Its funny how people use the Diaz fight as an example of Conor having no gas tank. I always thought that was a lazy *** analysis.

Nate Diaz has perhaps one of the best chins in the world. He's fought 22 times in the UFC fighting the best in the world and he's been KO'd once (and that was from a head kick). Now how that relates to Conor's stamina is that in both fights the pace of that fight was high. Conor was throwing more strikes and heavier strikes than he ever has and he was facing a guy who could take that punishment and survive. Thats not even factoring the grappling (which is one of the most tiring activities in combat sports).

Unless Floyd COMPLETELY changes his gameplan from what he normally does, the pace wont be that high. If anything, Floyd will be even more conservative because his 50-0 and the biggest upset in combat sports history would be on the line. Thats why my money is on either a decision or a late KO similar to the Hatton loss if Conor decides to go for broke toward the end.
floyd will use two things he has over conor....speed and experience. he will get a big lead and run the rest of the fight. conor will use the only things he has....size and the element of surprise. he must be extremely accurate and use his punches wisely. if he is somehow able to sneak some punches in on floyd, he has to do damage with them. like i said before, take floyd into untraveled waters and then see what happens. conor will be fighting with nothing to lose and floyd will be fighting with everything to lose.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #3498
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
oh yeah.....forgot about that. lol. p.s. how did you score that fight, jaybee?
Canelo won two rounds at the most. One of the worst scorecards by a judge that I have ever seen.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #3499
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Conor would make anywhere from 25-30 mil when you factor in the PPV buy percentage he gets. Conor isnt doing a million dollar PPV fighting Danny Garcia or Keith Thurman. He aint selling a million against Paulie either.

Plus the UFC gets 20% of his boxing payday anyway.
McGregor could make eight figures, easy, by fighting the winner of Canelo-GGG if he pulls off the unthinkable and beats Mayweather.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #3500
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
McGregor could make eight figures, easy, by fighting the winner of Canelo-GGG if he pulls off the unthinkable and beats Mayweather.
He could but I dont see that happening unless Canelo is willing to cut to 154.

With that said, I said the same thing about a potential Floyd fight so what do I know.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #3501
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
In both boxing and MMA, the purse in Floyd's fights is an outlier.

Yeah Conor's biggest payday will be a fight with Floyd, hell everyone's is. That doesn't mean boxing>MMA in money though.
Elite boxers make far more than elite MMA fighters. There are at least eight boxers who make mid- to high seven figures or more every time they step between the ropes: Mayweather, Pacquiao, Klitschko (now retired), Joshua, Cotto, Ward, Canelo, GGG. It won't be long before Crawford is in that region, either.

The biggest difference in purses in boxing and MMA is that boxing has almost no middle class. Superstars make seven figures or higher per bout, and nearly everyone else is at five figures or lower. There are a few guys who are in the six-figure range per bout, such as Crawford, Chocolatito, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Mikey Garcia. But the vast majority of boxers make five figures or less per bout because the sport's pay structure is so top-heavy.

MMA has more of a middle class of fighters because the top-tier guys don't make nearly as much as elite boxers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #3502
All Star

Quote:
He will do what he does in his MMA fights. He will pressure with forward movement and look to counter. He wont use heavy volume and he will clinch alot when he gets in close. When he's inside, he will attempt to rough up Floyd in the clinch. He will hope that Floyd does attempt to lead and try to catch him with hard counters.
The Maidana strategy. Biggest difference is that Maidana was a boxer, not an MMA fighter. It's one thing to adopt that strategy; it's another to use it successfully with zero boxing experience.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #3503
All Star

Quote:
He could but I dont see that happening unless Canelo is willing to cut to 154.

With that said, I said the same thing about a potential Floyd fight so what do I know.
McGregor could fight at 160, easy. He will carry nearly 170 into the ring Saturday night against Mayweather.

Canelo is a smallish middleweight. Short but compact. Built like a wrestler, as many analysts point out.

Fighting at 160 would let McGregor spend more of his training camp learning boxing instead of cutting weight. That would help him immensely.

Plus neither Canelo nor GGG are anywhere near as nuanced as of a boxer as Mayweather, so I like McGregor's chances to land a lucky punch against those guys a hell of a lot more than against Money this Saturday night. GGG also loves to engage and has mediocre defense, so that could create openings for McGregor.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #3504
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
The Maidana strategy. Biggest difference is that Maidana was a boxer, not an MMA fighter. It's one thing to adopt that strategy; it's another to use it successfully with zero boxing experience.
Dont get me wrong...I'm not saying he will be successful with it. I'm just saying thats what he will do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »